Sarah Palin is improving

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:33 pm

For such a smart guy you are not a very thorough reader. I plainly said that I am not intolerant of gays ("I love you, I accept you" was my quote I believe), I just don't validate them by marching in their parade. That is my religious view. My God considers homosexuality an abomination. I referenced that scripture before. You say you wish you hadn't bothered to respond to me because of my views on that and evolution? I only believe the Bible dude. Poke fun at me all you want Mr. tolerant, but why not address my point directly, rather than just calling my views "pathetic and laughable". in case you skimmed over it too...

For decades, evolutionists have searched for fossils of the missing links between species in a desperate effort to prove biblical creation wrong. Although millions of fossils have been unearthed, not one missing link has ever been found. If you can point to even one that can prove their "theory", I'm sure they would love to hear from you. then they can start calling it the "fact" of evolution. There are plenty of scientists on this side of the argument, so what you said about the anti-evolution argument being confined to the fundamentalist churches is simply not true. instead of calling us pathetic, laughable, and trying to portray us as loons, go read about it. Unlike religion and our absolute truths, what scientists believe is always up for debate until they PROVE IT, which they have yet to do, and you cannot honestly claim that they have.

If I may reference the Bible without anyone setting their hair on fire, Genesis chapter one states 10 times that life forms can only reproduce after their own kind (ape to ape, man to man). I only bring this up because you condescendingly informed me how "sad" it was that I failed to realize that evolution and Christianity are not at odds.

As the aforementioned Webster's definition clearly points out, yes, we crazy fundamentalists believe in the LITERAL translation of the Bible, so my apologies to the catholic church you linked, but I don't try to keep up with what they believe.

(on a side note in response to you regarding Websters, I did not mean to infer that was the only definition of fundamentalism, I picked out Christian fundamentalism because you asked which type I was referring to specifically, so I am to blame, not Webster)

As for that part about fundamentalists all share the common denominator that we can commit any crime, any where, any time in the name of God... and that surely I should recognize the same but opposite kind of fundamentalist... Those are Islamic fundamentalists. I know you like to group us together, but as I said before, which ones are more likely to try to blow up your kids school? Which group do you want to see waiting at your gate at the airport? enough with the moral equivocating. it's Ludacris who hotta than Nevadda, ready to break the steering column on yo impaaala, to compare the two groups as opposite but equal. We both whole heartedly believe, but that's about as far as it goes. How many Christian suicide bombers do you see making "the ultimate sacrifice" that you speak of? you really think that's fair?

More generally, you seem to keep going back to this point about acceptance of other's religious freedoms. I get it. I do. I can obviously see where it's in my (and my great-grandchildrens') interest for all the citizens of this country to have freedom of religion. Nowhere have I remotely disagreed with that, so if that's the point you want to get across to me, then you can move on, Voltaire.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 pm

funbuncher wrote:For decades, evolutionists have searched for fossils of the missing links between species in a desperate effort to prove biblical creation wrong


While I agree that only a tiny portion of evolution has been proven and there are major gaps, the existence of the fossils themselves actually still proves the bible literalists wrong
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:20 am

That also is an opinion, based on scientific theory, being presented by you here as scientific fact.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:22 pm

funbuncher wrote:That also is an opinion, based on scientific theory, being presented by you here as scientific fact.


You seriously think there's no proof that fossils exist? It's only an "opinion" being resented as "scientific fact?"
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge
Online
Posts: 14529
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:34 pm

There is voluminous evidence that evolution exists. There is 0 evidence that man sprang from nothing. Genesis was written as an explanation for existence at a time when high tech was a bronze spear head. There was also a belief, at that time, that gold could be devined from lead, Earth was the center of the Universe, infection was the result of evil, and that flies grew from bad air.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

cappster
Posts: 2982
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Postby Cappster » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:11 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Cappster wrote:Kaz, come on man, really? Do you really think its irrelevant that someone who is thinking about running for president and on the notion that we need to get back to the "core principles of the founding fathers" blah blah blah, can so easily butcher Paul Revere's famous ride warning Americans the British were coming? And I do believe that it puts a dent in your statement that she has improved, because she is still the same person giving the same idiotic answers.


I care what they want to do in office. Not caring all the time is better then your only caring when it's a Republican. Biden says things like this all the time. Al Gore lives in a fantasy world. John Kerry is a compulsive liar. Obama never shuts up about his ability to solve every problem in the world with common sense, yet he's accomplished nothing in his life, including his almost 2 1/2 years as President. Yet it's only Sarah Palin who bothers you enough to speak up. Why is that exactly?


Make a thread about anyone of those jackasses and I will surely contribute to the conversation. Actually, I will say a little bit about how I feel of those people now:

Biden- A belligerent loud mouth who fills the room with hot air. Most likely a jerk.

Kerry- A big flip flopper who, from what I can tell, has been kind of irrelevant since 2004.

Gore- Environmental hypocrite who goes around talking about conserving energy yet owns big energy consuming houses and vehicles.

Obama- I actually believe the president is intelligent, but do not agree with his cap and trade talk, military action against Libya, and the lame universal healthcare bill to name a few.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

cappster
Posts: 2982
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Postby Cappster » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:21 pm

Countertrey wrote:There is voluminous evidence that evolution exists. There is 0 evidence that man sprang from nothing. Genesis was written as an explanation for existence at a time when high tech was a bronze spear head. There was also a belief, at that time, that gold could be devined from lead, Earth was the center of the Universe, infection was the result of evil, and that flies grew from bad air.


Wow...I can't believe we actually agree on something :lol:

And funbuncher, how about instead of using the word evolution, try inserting adaptation in place of it. I don't believe you ever addressed why people are white, black, yellow, and brown in addition to speaking different languages. Do you believe in the Bible story of when people trying to build a temple to God and he cast them to the corners of the Earth changing their tongues (and I assume the way they look) so they cannot communicate? Is that truly more plausible than evolving from some different form of being?
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:41 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
funbuncher wrote:That also is an opinion, based on scientific theory, being presented by you here as scientific fact.


You seriously think there's no proof that fossils exist? It's only an "opinion" being resented as "scientific fact?"


No man, I did not mean that I don't believe that fossils exist. I can see that I'm being taken about as seriously here as Sarah Palin in a Harvard faculty lounge.

I was referring to the radiometric dating methods and the various assumptions they depend upon if they are to be considered accurate.

I assumed you were referring to the supposed age of the fossils since their mere existence would not disprove anything and you did not elaborate past that.

Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Countertrey wrote:There is 0 evidence that man sprang from nothing.



This is the evolutionist argument in a nutshell. what, you on my side now? I believe evrything sprang from God, which seems like much less of a stretch than everything springing from a one celled organism that itself sprang from ____?) and these changes were made possible due to mutations that actually HELPED the species rather than hurt it, disregard the fact that we can't get that scenario to play out in a lab, it happened so efficiently in fact that... here we are today. Your faith is stronger than you give give yourself credit for.

Genesis was written as an explanation for existence at a time when high tech was a bronze spear head. There was also a belief, at that time, that gold could be devined from lead, Earth was the center of the Universe, infection was the result of evil, and that flies grew from bad air.


We laugh at the scientific knowledge of just a hundred years ago. If the early man you refer to was soley responsible for writing the Bible, you would expect to see many of those humorous type errors contained in it, would you not? But you don't.

Add to this the fact that you see the Bible repeatedly being hundreds and sometimes thousands of years ahead of the science of the various author's day. many scientific principals like the round earth, the water cycle, the countless number of stars, etc... were not discovered by scientists until hundreds of years after the Bible had been written, yet these future discoveries found their way in there because it is the inspired Word of God, not just a book written by a bunch of spear hurling, blood-letting, alchemists.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 am

Cappster wrote:Make a thread about anyone of those jackasses and I will surely contribute to the conversation

You're contributing to this one by demonstrating the point behind why I started it. Irrational hatred of Palin.

Cappster wrote:Obama- I actually believe the president is intelligent, but do not agree with his cap and trade talk, military action against Libya, and the lame universal healthcare bill to name a few.

Out of curiosity, what has he said that impressed you? I think he's a moron. He's a fool in an empty suit unable to reason or learn from events as they unfold. He mindlessly drones liberal talking points and can't recognize at all ever when liberalism doesn't work. He just follows the liberal adage that if your prescription isn't working, the only solution to consider is that you're not taking enough of it while pointing fingers that it's anyone's fault his plan didn't work but him. He has no sense of personal responsibility, no ethics, no concern for anyone but himself. What has he said you think demonstrated any insight regarding anything or that made you think of something in a different way?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am

funbuncher wrote:As for that part about fundamentalists all share the common denominator that we can commit any crime, any where, any time in the name of God... and that surely I should recognize the same but opposite kind of fundamentalist... Those are Islamic fundamentalists.

Those are fundamentalists of ANY persuasion.

For example, just a few weeks ago, the World ended. Oh, you did not know?

Yes, people gave up homes, property and many values and hope because the world was going to come to an end AGAIN. Not to worry, it has been postponed AGAIN. We have a new date with the Bible later this year, I guess.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ma ... -end-world

Worth quoting Voltaire again:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Is it a crime to scare and move people to act based on an irresponsible, uninformed and flawed interpretation of the Bible or any other religious scriptures? Yes, it is. The problem with fundamentalists of ANY persuasion is their tendency to lack the humility to see virtue and values in OTHER religious or nor-religious views out of their own narrow oversimplified and adversarial view of the world. Their own interpretations of the scriptures are uninformed and manipulated for political and military purposes.

As for your views on homosexuality, you abhor it too, right? Is that the respect you expect to get back from them about your own views? They should respect yours because, in your mind, they are DIVINE but they are wrong because, in your view, they are sinners? And that is NOT intolerance? The very word you used to define yourself?

As for the denial of evolution, I respect your view. There were plenty of people who thought the earth was flat too for a long time. No damage derived from it, as long as they do not wish to make us share the same belief.

To return to te topic of the thread: Palin can count on the blind votes of people like you. people who are susceptible to religious manipulation for political purposes. That does not make any politician any better. It only makes them dangerous to the rest of society.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11060
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 pm

Countertrey wrote:There is voluminous evidence that evolution exists. There is 0 evidence that man sprang from nothing. Genesis was written as an explanation for existence at a time when high tech was a bronze spear head. There was also a belief, at that time, that gold could be devined from lead, Earth was the center of the Universe, infection was the result of evil, and that flies grew from bad air.


Well to be fair, the earth is "at the center" of the universe if one prefers to put it that way, and so also does the sun revolve around the earth — again, if we want to put it that way. Current physics supports those ideas 100%. ;)

Hog
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby funbuncher » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:43 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote: There were plenty of people who thought the earth was flat too for a long time. No damage derived from it, as long as they do not wish to make us share the same belief.


but it's ok for evolutionists to attempt to make our children share the same belief as them by teaching it in schools with our tax money?

like the evolutionists of today, the people who insisted that the earth was flat were the scientific community of the day. eventually the Bible was proven right as science caught up. Scientific fact and Christianity have never once been at odds, and they never will. scientific theory on the other hand has often had to catch up.

Redskin in Canada wrote:As for your views on homosexuality, you abhor it too, right? Is that the respect you expect to get back from them about your own views? They should respect yours because, in your mind, they are DIVINE but they are wrong because, in your view, they are sinners?


not my view, God's view. and no, I certainly do not abhor anyone, and I sincerely hope that is obvious to anyone who has actually READ any of my posts on this topic. If not, then let me restate that I certainly have no problem with gay people or anyone else. I am just as guilty of sin as them. It is not my place or any other Christian's place to judge anyone but ourselves. God is the only judge. He loves everyone, including you, me, and gay people, but he hates sin. If you have a problem with the fact that homosexuality is a sin, then you have a disagreement with the Word of God that I directly quoted before without "manipulation" or "interpretation" (ref Leviticus 20:13). But if you see anyone spewing hatred or intolerance toward gay people, you should know right then that they are outside of the Bible's teaching, and not acting as a fundamentalist Christian.

Redskin in Canada wrote:For example, just a few weeks ago, the World ended. Oh, you did not know? Yes, people gave up homes, property and many values and hope because the world was going to come to an end AGAIN. Not to worry, it has been postponed AGAIN. We have a new date with the Bible later this year, I guess. Is it a crime to scare and move people to act based on an irresponsible, uninformed and flawed interpretation of the Bible or any other religious scriptures? Yes, it is.


this is essentially a non sequitur to our conversation on fundamentalist Christianity and the literal interpretation of the Bible if you know the Bible at all which clearly says...

However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows. Matthew 24:36

So this con-man was able to fool quite a few people who either did not take the Bible literally, or just failed to read it for themselves. The Christian Church has been wringing its hands over this guy since he started putting up billboards, because it only serves to fool some people, and further drive away folks like yourself from God who think fools like this represent all Christians.

You seem to blame Christianity for being used as a tool by evil men or politicians. that's the same as blaming guns for killing people instead of the people who pull the trigger. Hitler used Christianity (among other things) to justify the slaughter of 6 million Jews, is that Christianity's fault as well? Islamo-fascists ran an airplane into the twin towers, is it the airplane's fault?

Redskin in Canada wrote:The problem with fundamentalists of ANY persuasion is their tendency to lack the humility to see virtue and values in OTHER religious or nor-religious views out of their own narrow oversimplified and adversarial view of the world. Their own interpretations of the scriptures are uninformed and manipulated for political and military purposes.

As for your views on homosexuality, you abhor it too, right? Is that the respect you expect to get back from them about your own views? They should respect yours because, in your mind, they are DIVINE but they are wrong because, in your view, they are sinners? And that is NOT intolerance? The very word you used to define yourself?


honestly, if I had come on this board professing my gayness would you be telling me the "problem" with my views, and insulting my character by telling me who you think I abhor and calling me intolerant? It appears that you are intolerant of Christianity in particular, but you prefer to veil it by having a problem with "fundamentalists" in general. and much like Cappster who never has an unsolicited sour word for morons who are democrats, but plenty of irrational hatred for Sarah Palin, you focus your examples on the Crusades of 1000 years ago, or some podunk preacher who preyed on some ignorant people. Both were outrageous acts, yes, but acts that were committed by kooks acting outside of the true teachings of fundamental Christianity. Where are your examples of death and destruction caused by Islamic fundamentalists who are actively looking to try to kill as many non-believers as possible and whose holy scriptures include verses like these...

"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" (Sura 8 verse 12).

"So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them" (Koran 9:5).

Let me break it down for you as best I can. I don't know how familiar you are with the Bible (I am no longer surprised to meet atheists who are very familiar), but what you are doing here is mistaking fundamental Christianity for the Pharisees in the Bible. the Pharisees were the straightest arrows, the most pious, the most ambitious, the most holier than thou, the most intolerant, and the most JUDGMENTAL religious leaders of Jesus' day. All the things that you have labeled me with is exactly what they were. And they had a big problem with Jesus who spent his time with prostitutes, tax collectors, and sinners. When they tried to persecute him for this he responded...

"It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent." (Luke 5:31, 32)

If you have read nothing I have written to you this past week, please read these words of Jesus' that I copied and pasted from Luke chapter 6...

28"But to you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
29 To the person who strikes you on one cheek, offer the other one as well, and from the person who takes your cloak, do not withhold even your tunic.
30 Give to everyone who asks of you, and from the one who takes what is yours do not demand it back.
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32 For if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them.
33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do the same.
34 If you lend money to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit (is) that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, and get back the same amount.
35 But rather, love your enemies and do good to them, and lend expecting nothing back; then your reward will be great and you will be children of the Most High, for he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.
36 Be merciful, just as (also) your Father is merciful.
37 Stop judging and you will not be judged. Stop condemning and you will not be condemned. Forgive and you will be forgiven.


This is fundamental Christianity.

It doesn't appear that I am making any progress here other than angering the atheist majority. probably bout time to go back to talking about football, but sadly there is no football. my goal was to clear up the myth that Christians are out to judge people. Hopefully somebody got that.

Go Skins! wish we had drafted Mallett.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 am

funbuncher wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
funbuncher wrote:That also is an opinion, based on scientific theory, being presented by you here as scientific fact.


You seriously think there's no proof that fossils exist? It's only an "opinion" being resented as "scientific fact?"


No man, I did not mean that I don't believe that fossils exist. I can see that I'm being taken about as seriously here as Sarah Palin in a Harvard faculty lounge.

I was referring to the radiometric dating methods and the various assumptions they depend upon if they are to be considered accurate.

I assumed you were referring to the supposed age of the fossils since their mere existence would not disprove anything and you did not elaborate past that.


On your last point, I was referring to a somewhat vague point so I did my best as to what you meant. I specifically said "bible Literalists." They think the earth is like 6,000 years old. How would animals entombed in stone be in any way consistent with that even if you don't trust the accuracy of carbon dating? If you're not a literalist, then we're not disagreeing. If you are, I'm not seeing how questioning carbon dating says there could be fossils just because you question the accuracy of carbon dating.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:11 am

funbuncher wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote: There were plenty of people who thought the earth was flat too for a long time. No damage derived from it, as long as they do not wish to make us share the same belief.


but it's ok for evolutionists to attempt to make our children share the same belief as them by teaching it in schools with our tax money?


Oh for Gosh sakes no. Government money should only be used to enforce Christian morality. Can you imagine people going around doing things with their own bodies Christians disapprove of? Putting drugs in them? Gambling? Prostitution. Oh my God, ABORTIONS! We need politicians to solve that with legislation, government guns to arrest them, taxpayer funded prosecutors to try them, taxpayer courts to convict them and taxpayer jails to house them to stop them from doing non-Christian things with their bodies.

But using taxpayer money to teach things in school based on what is learned in the empirical world but not taught in the bible? I hear you, that must be stopped...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to The Lounge