SI Projects The Redskins Drafting Cam Newton

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1690
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
markshark84 wrote:By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.....


Okay. Opinion noted. Now for the other half of the equation.... Who DO you want to see the Redskins acquire at the QB position in the offseason, or what do you think the team should do with the QB's currently on the roster?


Honestly, I am not sure I see any single NCAA QB that is worth the #10 (of those in the draft). There are so many guys that have some of the tools I believe would make them successful in the NFL and lack the other tools necessary. Like Moore, he just doesn't have NFL size. Or Mallet -- he has a ton of the tools, except for the one in his head. Newton is just not ready and is seriously lacking passing accuracy. I think that Luck and OU's Jones are good, but they are staying in school. Then again, I am not sure why there isn't more talk about Dalton out of TCU.

All in all, I just don't see a quality QB -- but, I am sure there are a couple in this draft that will turn out well -- there usually are. Personally, I would take an OT with our pick. We need to get our line squared away. With that said, if there is a QB worth taking at 10, I say to pull the trigger -- I am of the opinion that if you can get a franchise QB, then do it, but right now I don't see one.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
markshark84 wrote:By drafting Newton with the tenth pick, I guess the pondits have come to the conclusion that Snyder and the skins are officially drafting idiots.

That would be a horrendous pick. He's not worth the #10. He's 1/100 as good as Vick and overall not NFL QB material -- especially with this line.....


Okay. Opinion noted. Now for the other half of the equation.... Who DO you want to see the Redskins acquire at the QB position in the offseason, or what do you think the team should do with the QB's currently on the roster?


Honestly, I am not sure I see any single NCAA QB that is worth the #10 (of those in the draft). There are so many guys that have some of the tools I believe would make them successful in the NFL and lack the other tools necessary. Like Moore, he just doesn't have NFL size. Or Mallet -- he has a ton of the tools, except for the one in his head. Newton is just not ready and is seriously lacking passing accuracy. I think that Luck and OU's Jones are good, but they are staying in school. Then again, I am not sure why there isn't more talk about Dalton out of TCU.

All in all, I just don't see a quality QB -- but, I am sure there are a couple in this draft that will turn out well -- there usually are. Personally, I would take an OT with our pick. We need to get our line squared away. With that said, if there is a QB worth taking at 10, I say to pull the trigger -- I am of the opinion that if you can get a franchise QB, then do it, but right now I don't see one.


I think that Gabbert is certainly worth a top 10 pick. I would tend to agree with you about the others that you mentioned.
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm

markshark84 wrote:All in all, I just don't see a quality QB -- but, I am sure there are a couple in this draft that will turn out well -- there usually are. Personally, I would take an OT with our pick. We need to get our line squared away. With that said, if there is a QB worth taking at 10, I say to pull the trigger -- I am of the opinion that if you can get a franchise QB, then do it, but right now I don't see one.


First off, thanks for the well thought-out response.

I can see where you would have concerns about any of the QB's at #10. Personally, at #10 (or anywhere in the Top 10), I expect to get an IMMEDIATE IMPACT player. Someone who can come in and be expected to compete for a starting spot from Day #1 of Training Camp and to have WON that starting spot before Week One of their Rookie Season.

I have not seen any discussion (at the various places I've looked) of an OT who is worthy of that level of selection. ESPECIALLY NOT the year after we already spent a Top 10 pick on a LT (who has turned out pretty well so far). Honestly, assuming that we decide not to look QB at #10, I'm not sure there is another play who fits the mold of what I'm looking for in the Top 10. MAYBE one if the top CB is still there, but outside of that I don't see an.... Interior OLineman, ANY 3-4 D Lineman, ANY 3-4 type LB, a WR, or a FS who is worth the #10 pick who will be available at that point.

Unfortunately that means it's going to be very difficult to trade out of that slot as well, unless someone unexpected falls and another team is desparately in love with him.

This #10 pick is looking more and more to me like we'll be playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto handgun.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 pm

markshark84 wrote:[ Then again, I am not sure why there isn't more talk about Dalton out of TCU.


Though Dalton is listed at 6-3, he is actually 6-1 7/8. In other words, the old height thing (See Drew Brees 6-1). His arm strength is questionable. These are the only knocks I can find on him. Personally, I like him because of his upside. He knows how to win. He runs a 4.5 forty. He is tough and is considered a smart QB who knows how to manage a game.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13237
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:46 am

I still like this scenario as posted by Mississippi Hog on Jan 6th

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5637 ... -qb/page/2
We are lucky to have Cousins - Griffin will become the better QB as he learns to use the pocket & read defenses

Until then, I hope that Cousins takes full advantage of this opportunity

HAIL


Week 2 - 17-15

**LPJ**
Posts: 6377
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 am

SkinsJock wrote:I still like this scenario as posted by Mississippi Hog on Jan 6th

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5637 ... -qb/page/2


.. just to put it out there here's what's in the link and I agree with you SJ I like this idea

"As I wrote before, there's only one quarterback in the draft that Mike Shanahan really wants, and that's Stanford's Andrew Luck. But given the uncertainty of the NFL's labor situation, Luck, along with other underclassmen quarterbacks, may chose to stay in school for another year. Even if Luck does declare, the Redskins would have to mortgage a great deal of their future to get him.

With so many holes to fill, this is not a good option for the Redskins.

So, the Redskins will trade down in the draft. The Redskins will trade their first round draft choice away to New England to get a chance at New England's extra second and third round picks. This leave the Redskins with two second round picks, and gives them back the third round pick they spend to bring Donovan McNabb back to the fold."

-By KC Clyburn (Contributor) on January 6, 2011
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:37 am

Personally I love that idea a TON!!! But again, we're talking about NE who usually just trade back with every pick and only really move up in the later round when compensation is really nothing. But hell, if Allen can swing it, I'm all for it.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:54 am

SkinsJock wrote:I still like this scenario as posted by Mississippi Hog on Jan 6th


WOW. That just gets UGLIER and UGLIER, the further I go through it.

I have less than no interest in Dalton. Trading all the way out of the first round would be a major disappointment. We need SIGNIFICANT upgrades at more than just the OLine and DLine positions, and unless there is a suggestion in there somewhere that we're signing at LEAST: 1 WR, 1 CB, 1 FS, and a QB, I really think we'd be more likely to REGRESS than to PROGRESS under that plan.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 pm

Maybe I'm missing something. I thought we would get NE's 1st, 2nd and 2 3rds.

Looking at the trade chart - we could trade our #1 (1300 pts) for their

R1 #28 (660 pts)
R2 #33 (580 pts)
R3 #92 (132 pts)
total: 1372

so we're technically shy 72 pts which is equal to roughly a mid 4th round pick. Also keep in mind as of right now, NE only has 6 picks in the entire draft. I don't think they would give up 3 picks to get back 1 for a higher pick. So while it's cool to think about, I don't see it happening.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I just looked at ESPN and another Draft site, and did a little bit of math...

With the 12 picks in that mock draft, based on the positional rankings we end up with only 2 players in the Top 10 for their position. ESPN has Pouncy listed at the #1 OC, not Guard so that would be a third for that list.

TWELVE PICKS (including 4 in the top 3 rounds) and we only end up with 2 (or 3) players of any quality, and only ONE (Pouncy) who I believe could come in and make an IMMEDIATE IMPACT?

That right there would be an unprecedented DISASTER, even for this franchise

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:24 pm

frank, you're absolutely RIGHT.... The Patriots don't trade UP. They never have and I don't see them starting to do so now.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:52 pm
Location: MD

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:26 pm

Don't the Patriots have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and like 11 for the whole draft? So they could trade up if they wanted to. I wouldn't trade our first round pick though. I think at this point we have to take the best player available at #10.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Right On The Edge Of Goodbye

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:58 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:Don't the Patriots have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and like 11 for the whole draft? So they could trade up if they wanted to.


The Patriots do not trade UP. That is not, nor has it ever been their MO when it comes to drafting. They have no interest in players with actual TALENT. Instead they prefer brain-dead, mush-minded zombies who can be programmed to do exactly what they're told.

MDSKINSFAN wrote:I wouldn't trade our first round pick though.


I'm getting to the point where I don't think we have another reasonable option (If we can get value for it). I don't believe there will be a player there at #10 who is WORTH that pick, who can come in and make an IMMEDIATE IMPACT at a position of primary need for this team.

MDSKINSFAN wrote:I think at this point we have to take the best player available at #10.


Dear God, I hope not. BPA is simply proof to me that a front office can't get the job done in terms of scouting or trading the pick.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:The Patriots ... have no interest in players with actual TALENT. Instead they prefer brain-dead, mush-minded zombies who can be programmed to do exactly what they're told

Yes, it's a moronic post. But if dim witted, talentless football players who do what they are told is the way to win Super Bowls, I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, dim witted moronic players are a dime a dozen and win nothing, it's players with talent that are what we need and unfortunately hard to find.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16061
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something. I thought we would get NE's 1st, 2nd and 2 3rds.

Looking at the trade chart - we could trade our #1 (1300 pts) for their

R1 #28 (660 pts)
R2 #33 (580 pts)
R3 #92 (132 pts)
total: 1372

so we're technically shy 72 pts which is equal to roughly a mid 4th round pick. Also keep in mind as of right now, NE only has 6 picks in the entire draft. I don't think they would give up 3 picks to get back 1 for a higher pick. So while it's cool to think about, I don't see it happening.

Do you have a link to that trade chart, Frank?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010