My Thoughts on the Redskins 2011 draft

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

What do you think of these picks

Good
44%
Bad
22%
Alright but they could be better
33%
Absolutely horrible you suck as a talent evaluator
No votes

Total votes : 9
piggie

My Thoughts on the Redskins 2011 draft

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 am

So I sat down today and went through the prospects in the upcoming NFL draft and looked at the Redskins roster to put together a draft for them that in my opinion would help the team next year and beyond. For the most part this draft is defensively heavy because I think that side of the ball can be addressed easier in such a defensively rich draft. Please feel free to criticize the picks and give me feedback because we all want what is best for this team. First I traded down to number 15 in the first round with Miami and got a third round pick. This is the only plausible trade I saw because they want a QB and the only one worth taking that high for us is probably Blaine Gabbert and in my opinion the Titans draft him at 8 leaving Cam Newton for the Dolphins. I don't think anybody gives us anything for Haynesworth or McNabb at this point so the Miami trade is the only one I made.

Round one :trade down with Miami to # 15: Akeem Ayers OLB UCLA- The perfect rusher opposite Orakpo . He is scheme neutral meaning he can work in a 4-3/3-4 plus he is good in run support and has decent coverage skill something the redskins lacked with Andre Carter/Lorenzo Alexander last year.

Round two : Jake Locker QB Washington: He is a project to be sure but his raw talent cannot be denied plus it’s rumored that Shanahan likes him. He throws on the run very well and is athletic enough to move in the pocket and he also played in a pro style offense for two years under Steve Sarkisian . Where he has problems is in his mechanics and footwork which leads to inaccuracy but with a good QB coach those can be fixed. He needs to sit for a year or two to learn hopefully under a veteran QB (Donovan McNabb).

Round three picked up in the Miami trade: Robert Sands FS West Virginia: The Redskins need a serious upgrade at the FS position because Kareem Moore/Reed Doughty just aren’t going to cut it as starters plus with decent to good pieces elsewhere (if they can resign Carlos Rogers) this position is the only weak link in the secondary. Now Sands is an athletic freak at 6ft 5 220 who has great range and decent coverage skills and would be the perfect compliment to Laron Landry.

Round five: Casey Matthews ILB Oregon: The Redskins will eventually need a replacement to London Fletcher who better than the brother of a current superstar who while not as talented has the same high motor and football instincts ( it just runs in the family). He can tackle very well and is good in coverage and was a big part of Oregon going to the national title game. He would play special teams his first couple of years and then slot right next to Perry Riley. Imagine a starting linebacker core of Brian Orakpo , Akeem Ayers, Perry Riley and Casey Matthews what was once a weakness now becomes a strength.

Round five: Keith Williams OG Nebraska : Keith Williams is a mountain of a man at 6ft 5 315 pounds. He is great as a run blocker but may need work in pass protection but this due more to the system he played in at Nebraska which was run heavy. He is very athletic for his size and would be a nice addition to the Redskins line competing with Erik Cook/Kory Lichtensteiger for the starting left guard spot.

Round six: Terrell McClain NT USF: At 6ft2 310 pounds McClain is a big man but one with quick feet and good athleticism plus he could add another 10 pounds of muscle. He could slot in behind Ma’ake Kemoeatu and Anthony Bryant and be groomed by Jim Haslett to be the starting nose tackle in a year or two.

Round seven: Dion Lewis RB Pittsburg: Lewis is small for a running back but the same has been said about Darren Sproles and look how that turned out for the Chargers. A lot of mocks and scouting services have Lewis going in the six round but its quite possible he falls to the seventh. He would be a good change of pace back to Ryan Torain and could be a weapon out of the backfield.

Round Seven: Mario Butler CB Georgia Tech : With the pick the Redskins got from the Colts for Justin Tryon they should select this very sound tackling corner from the ramblin wreck who is decent in coverage and has good recovery ability. He could make the team but seems more of a practice type guy but the potential is there for future success.
The difference between a successful person
and others is not a lack of strength,
not a lack of knowledge,
but rather in a lack of will.
-Vince Lombardi

The will to win is the greatest gift a football player can possess

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Mayock likes Ayers after Von Miller so at 15 Ayers seems to be OK.
I was not all that impressed with him in this extensive clip.

http://nflmocks.com/2010/07/11/2011-nfl ... yers-ucla/

His "cons" as noted by the article were all over this clip, however, I did see his upsides - his speed, hands and height. Though I am looking elsewhere for our hypothetical 15th, your choice is a good one by Mayock, if OLB is where we go. I would go NT, if Phil Taylor is still there. I thnk our Rob Jackson is starting to come into his own or maybe Chris Wilson is ready. The reports on Ayers says that he will need good coaching, so to me, I rather get an Phil Taylor who is ready now than a guy who will have to learn from many mistakes on the field.

Locker at #2 is great because he is going to sit anyway for a year and that should give him time to eliminate his "cons."

Don't know much about your other picks, but your reports sound great and the position needs are good. I am thinking that Shanny will find a receiver with Brandon Marshall potential from a small school somewhere in the later rounds. Receiver is the one position that you left out that I think that should be included somewhere in this draft.

Finally, what incentive do the Dolphins have in trading up? Most boards show them picking Ingram. If this is their pick, is there any one that might want Ingram who is ahead of them?

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:12 am

I think we need to go NT earlier. Without a decent NT, our D will continue to strugle. Taylor in the 2nd ot Poe in the 3rd. I'd take Newton in the 1st if he is there. I'd also look for more help for the interior O line.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

piggie

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Mayock likes Ayers after Von Miller so at 15 Ayers seems to be OK.

His "cons" as noted by the article were all over this clip, however, I did see his upsides - his speed, hands and height. Though I am looking elsewhere for our hypothetical 15th, your choice is a good one by Mayock, if OLB is where we go. I would go NT, if Phil Taylor is still there. I thnk our Rob Jackson is starting to come into his own or maybe Chris Wilson is ready. The reports on Ayers says that he will need good coaching, so to me, I rather get an Phil Taylor who is ready now than a guy who will have to learn from many mistakes on the field.

Locker at #2 is great because he is going to sit anyway for a year and that should give him time to eliminate his "cons."

Don't know much about your other picks, but your reports sound great and the position needs are good. I am thinking that Shanny will find a receiver with Brandon Marshall potential from a small school somewhere in the later rounds. Receiver is the one position that you left out that I think that should be included somewhere in this draft.

Finally, what incentive do the Dolphins have in trading up? Most boards show them picking Ingram. If this is their pick, is there any one that might want Ingram who is ahead of them?

Well I like Phil Taylor but most mocks have him going late first or early second granted he could shoot up after the combine and I actually wouldn't mind if the skins pick him in the top ten only if they couldn't trade down. I didn't pick a receiver because I didn't see one late in the draft that fit Kyle Shanahan system but they could and most likely will draft one but mainly I see them using free agency to address WR. As for the Dolphins the reason I have them trading up is to try and get one of the top two QBs Newton or Gabbert because Henne was woefully inconsistent this past season and Sparano may be looking to save his job and needs a player maker at QB plus they will likely re-sign one of the RBs they have on the roster in Brown or Williams and pick up a RB like say Ryan Williams of VA tech in the second Ingram is a luxury not a necessity for the Dolphins every one just expect them to draft him because they have two aging backs.
not a lack of knowledge,
-Vince Lombardi

piggie

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:10 pm

yupchagee wrote:I think we need to go NT earlier. Without a decent NT, our D will continue to strugle. Taylor in the 2nd ot Poe in the 3rd. I'd take Newton in the 1st if he is there. I'd also look for more help for the interior O line.

I kind of agree but I believe Taylor will be gone by the end of the first round and if we do happen to get a 3rd pick Poe will be gone by the late second round and the reason being is there are now more 3-4 teams looking for the same pieces so the obvious talents will be picked before the Redskins have a chance to get them , but if they find a young talented player who needs a little work on technique they could have a future star and an anchor of the defensive line thats why I like the kid from USF McClain he is talented and has the body type to play NT. So its not me not liking the other guys but me realizing they will most likely be gone before we can get them.
not a lack of knowledge,
-Vince Lombardi

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:59 pm

NEWSKINSFAN119 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Mayock likes Ayers after Von Miller so at 15 Ayers seems to be OK.

Well I like Phil Taylor but most mocks have him going late first or early second granted he could shoot up after the combine and I actually wouldn't mind if the skins pick him in the top ten only if they couldn't trade down. I didn't pick a receiver because I didn't see one late in the draft that fit Kyle Shanahan system but they could and most likely will draft one but mainly I see them using free agency to address WR. As for the Dolphins the reason I have them trading up is to try and get one of the top two QBs Newton or Gabbert because Henne was woefully inconsistent this past season and Sparano may be looking to save his job and needs a player maker at QB plus they will likely re-sign one of the RBs they have on the roster in Brown or Williams and pick up a RB like say Ryan Williams of VA tech in the second Ingram is a luxury not a necessity for the Dolphins every one just expect them to draft him because they have two aging backs.

I like your answers to my questions. Sounds like you have put a lot of research and thought into your projections. I will definitely be checking to see how our actual draft compares to your projections.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:17 am

NEWSKINSFAN119.. want to address this again now since we have that safety that we would have used on "Miami's #3" pick?

Sounds good to me so far though.. I like that OLB for our first round.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

piggie

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:NEWSKINSFAN119.. want to address this again now since we have that safety that we would have used on "Miami's #3" pick?

Sounds good to me so far though.. I like that OLB for our first round.

Thanks ,I too love the idea of a tandem pass rush to go after the QB. As for the rest of the draft the only thing I would do is try to pick up a nose tackle in the third round and the guy I would love is Jerrell Powe out of Ole Miss . He is built like Casey Hampton at 6ft 2 335 llbs but is athletic enough to be a disruptive force in the backfield. He is great at shedding blocks and hustles on every play (unlike a certain DT we have now). Then with the 6th round pick instead of the McClain kid out of USF I would take an OL and a favorite of mine is Jake Kirkpatrick out of TCU he is about 6ft2 300 llbs and has the athletic ability I believe to be a very capable center in the ZBS. The fact that he was a combine snub is irrelevant we know that he is talented because he won the 2010 Rimington trophy as the nation's best center. Now if we cannot trade down I pray to God Vonn Miller or one of those stud DTs Fairley or Dareus falls to us, if not I foresee ( though I do not necessarily want) Julio Jones being the pick because a talent like his may be too hard to pass up.
not a lack of knowledge,
-Vince Lombardi

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm

All in all, I would be happy with the picks except for Locker, who I think is a waste of a second rounder. That aside, I think:

- No chance Matthews is available in the 5th. He's projected in the 4th, but with his family pedigre, I don't see him going below the 3rd round.

- Williams doesn't appear to fit our zone blocking scheme but we do need to replace lichnestucker.

- I doubt Miami will give up a 3rd to move 5 spots when all the sure fire talent has been taken off the board (especially since the only way someone would actually trade up is if one of the WRs was available -- and since Miami already has Marshall, I'm not sure they would go in that direction). But if this miracle did occur, Sands is a solid pick in the third round, if he is available, although I would like to see us focus more on getting our OL situated with this pick if there were actually someone available.

- I like picking RBs/WRs late in the draft, especially if we were to get a pick as intriguing as Lewis. I am even willing to look past some of his deficiencies (if we picked him up in the 7th) such as his lack of size (195 pds) and speed (4.6 40 time) -- but alas, there is no way he is falling to the 7th round. Most have him going as early as the 3rd round and no one has him going later than the 5th.

- McClain seems to be a good fit, but I really don't know much about him.

All in all, I would like to see a draft we pick up some OL in the higher rounds and focus more on our offensive needs instead of using 5 of our 8 picks on defense. But, I have to hand it to you, this was a very well thought out draft.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 pm

My thoughts... do what you can to trade down, and gain picks. If you can't, then take best available. We need everything except a TE. Take the highest rated player on your board.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Countertrey wrote:My thoughts... do what you can to trade down, and gain picks. If you can't, then take best available. We need everything except a TE. Take the highest rated player on your board.

My thoughts as well.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:25 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:My thoughts... do what you can to trade down, and gain picks. If you can't, then take best available. We need everything except a TE. Take the highest rated player on your board.

My thoughts as well.

OK, I'm in - this looks good to me too :D

we are a work in progress - the Redskins' FO PLUS Kyle & Jim did not handle their jobs or help this franchise as much as some of us hoped & thought they would

we are still paying the price for dumb and dumber's mistakes but these guys need to do a much better job with their draft picks and free agent signings
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

piggie

Postby NEWSKINSFAN119 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I thought that as the draft gets closer I would resurrect this thread and update my predictions for the picks we currently have.

Round one- DE JJ Watt Wisconsin- He is a physical specimen at 6ft5 290 lbs who was a tackling machine while in school he is scheme diverse but fits best in the 3-4 scheme ideally. The Redskins need help on the line and he would be perfect opposite Adam Carriker and open up lanes for Brian Orakpo to go after the QB.

Round two-QB Andrew Dalton TCU- He fits perfectly in the Shanahan version of the west coast offense and is very accurate both in the pocket and on the move he doesn't have the strongest arm but its good enough to make all the throws. He has good leadership skills being a big time play maker and leader for the Horned Frogs the last four seasons. He may have to sit for most of his first year to learn, but with the Skins O line that is probably a good thing.

Round five-WR Austin Pettis Boise State- Malcolm Kelly must go he has done nothing for the Skins and is injury prone. Pettis is a big physical receiver at 6ft3 209 lbs who is a very good route runner and has good hands , his only draw back is that he is not a burner but he is the perfect possession receiver and could develop into a good number two.

Round five-OG Keith Williams Nebraska-Keith Williams is a mountain of a man at 6ft 5 315 lbs. He is great as a run blocker but may need work in pass protection but this due more to the system he played in at Nebraska which was run heavy. He is very athletic for his size and would be a nice addition to the Redskins line competing with Will Montgomery/Artis Hicks for a starting guard spot.

Round six-OLB/DE Ricky Elmore Arizona-This guy is a great pass rusher off the edge and would make a great tag team partner for Brian Orakpo. He is a physical freak at 6ft5 255 and seems like he could stand up and play rush OLB in a 3-4 , his college teammate Brooks Reed gets all the attention but this guy is very much just as good and would look great in Burgundy and Gold.

Round seven-ILB Akeem Dent Georgia- A tackling machine Dent is great against the run and displays great technique when tackling his weakness however is in coverage he is not very fast and may have trouble with TE's or RB in the flat, however he would be a great a special teams guy who could be groomed to replace London Fletcher .

Round Seven-CB Loyce Means Houston- With the pick the Redskins got from the Colts for Justin Tryon they should select this very athletic corner who is decent in coverage and has good recovery ability. He has decent hands and very good speed and could be a kick/punt returner as well . He could make the team but seems more of a practice type guy but the potential is there for future success.
not a lack of knowledge,
-Vince Lombardi

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:18 pm

NEWSKINSFAN119 wrote:I thought that as the draft gets closer I would resurrect this thread and update my predictions for the picks we currently have.

Round one- DE JJ Watt Wisconsin- He is a physical specimen at 6ft5 290 lbs who was a tackling machine while in school he is scheme diverse but fits best in the 3-4 scheme ideally. The Redskins need help on the line and he would be perfect opposite Adam Carriker and open up lanes for Brian Orakpo to go after the QB.

Round two-QB Andrew Dalton TCU- He fits perfectly in the Shanahan version of the west coast offense and is very accurate both in the pocket and on the move he doesn't have the strongest arm but its good enough to make all the throws. He has good leadership skills being a big time play maker and leader for the Horned Frogs the last four seasons. He may have to sit for most of his first year to learn, but with the Skins O line that is probably a good thing.

Round five-WR Austin Pettis Boise State- Malcolm Kelly must go he has done nothing for the Skins and is injury prone. Pettis is a big physical receiver at 6ft3 209 lbs who is a very good route runner and has good hands , his only draw back is that he is not a burner but he is the perfect possession receiver and could develop into a good number two.

Round five-OG Keith Williams Nebraska-Keith Williams is a mountain of a man at 6ft 5 315 lbs. He is great as a run blocker but may need work in pass protection but this due more to the system he played in at Nebraska which was run heavy. He is very athletic for his size and would be a nice addition to the Redskins line competing with Will Montgomery/Artis Hicks for a starting guard spot.

Round six-OLB/DE Ricky Elmore Arizona-This guy is a great pass rusher off the edge and would make a great tag team partner for Brian Orakpo. He is a physical freak at 6ft5 255 and seems like he could stand up and play rush OLB in a 3-4 , his college teammate Brooks Reed gets all the attention but this guy is very much just as good and would look great in Burgundy and Gold.

Round seven-ILB Akeem Dent Georgia- A tackling machine Dent is great against the run and displays great technique when tackling his weakness however is in coverage he is not very fast and may have trouble with TE's or RB in the flat, however he would be a great a special teams guy who could be groomed to replace London Fletcher .

Round Seven-CB Loyce Means Houston- With the pick the Redskins got from the Colts for Justin Tryon they should select this very athletic corner who is decent in coverage and has good recovery ability. He has decent hands and very good speed and could be a kick/punt returner as well . He could make the team but seems more of a practice type guy but the potential is there for future success.

I could be happy with this draft especially if Pettis is around round 5. I would like to see Blaine Sumner NT somewhere in there - perhaps as one of your sevenths; however, as is, I could live with it.

Postby yupchagee » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 pm

NEWSKINSFAN119 wrote:I thought that as the draft gets closer I would resurrect this thread and update my predictions for the picks we currently have.

We need a NT. Maybe Anthony Fray of So. Miss. in the 5th.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010