2011 NFL Draft Night Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:36 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:NT - Chris Neild

Neild is a run-stopping defensive tackle who could contribute in a defensive line rotation at the next level. He is stout with a strong lower half and is very difficult to move out of running lanes. He also has very active hands to keep blockers from getting inside and flashes the lateral range to make plays outside of the tackle box. However, he lacks explosion off the line and is very raw as a pass rusher. Neild possesses natural leverage and is an asset against the run and he will likely be a middle round pick.

I like it. Run stuffing fire hydrant.

For the record, I believe that Chris Nield would be the first Nose Tackle ever drafted by the Redskins... History is made with the 253rd pick of the draft.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 pm

wow...no QB draft for us. There's goes all those speculations.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:02 pm

This is not meant as a complaint but I expected t see more offensive linemen in our draft. I hope Shanahan has plans to improve our o-line.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:14 pm

aswas71788 wrote:This is not meant as a complaint but I expected t see more offensive linemen in our draft. I hope Shanahan has plans to improve our o-line.

It would have been nice, but the cards didn't fall that way
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 pm

So How many starters did we get?

I say maybe 4 and only 6 make the active roster.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:39 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:So How many starters did we get?

If that's the case, we had a VERY successful draft IMO based on previous years.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 pm

frankcal20 wrote:

I would agree with you whole heartedy if our team wasn't so dreadful, but even so, I still have to agree.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby SprintRightOption » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:50 pm

There may not be any starters in 2011 because the legal issue will drag on and so will the lock-out.

Assume that there is a last minute deal and players are allowed to have contact with their teams in August. Only the day one draft picks will have had access to the so-called play book to study. All the others won't know anything. Would the team play and keep people who may take a month into the season just to learn the basics or field last year's starters who know the plays? Every team in the league will have to decide very quickly and unfortunately may make bad choices of who to keep and cut by being pressured to win.

cleg

Postby cleg » Sun May 01, 2011 6:56 am

SprintRightOption wrote:There may not be any starters in 2011 because the legal issue will drag on and so will the lock-out.

Assume that there is a last minute deal and players are allowed to have contact with their teams in August. Only the day one draft picks will have had access to the so-called play book to study. All the others won't know anything. Would the team play and keep people who may take a month into the season just to learn the basics or field last year's starters who know the plays? Every team in the league will have to decide very quickly and unfortunately may make bad choices of who to keep and cut by being pressured to win.
Wouldn't the players who received the playbooks the other day be able to call up the draftees and share them? The coaches would not be involved. These kids should show up to the next OTA that are coordinated by the players - some vets may need to buy their plane tix - but I think they could be somewhat up to speed by the time the lockout ends.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun May 01, 2011 9:05 am

stilll, the lock out makes it a "fair and even" playing field for ALL team....same for everyone.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 am

frankcal20 wrote:

That would be a good draft for any team
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 01, 2011 9:45 am

I assume you mean 4 eventual starters because no way do 4 of them start on opening day

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 am

aswas71788 wrote:This is not meant as a complaint but I expected t see more offensive linemen in our draft. I hope Shanahan has plans to improve our o-line.

agreed. i was sort of expecting/hoping just about every single pick on day 3 would've been o-line.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun May 01, 2011 11:14 am

die cowboys die wrote:

agreed. i was sort of expecting/hoping just about every single pick on day 3 would've been o-line.

You don't get good by drafting for need, you get mediocre by drafting for need

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun May 01, 2011 1:08 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I assume you mean 4 eventual starters because no way do 4 of them start on opening day

If you'd said that it is unlikely that as many as 4 of them will be opening day starters, I'd agree. But I actually don't think it's impossible.

Kerrigan and Jenkins should be starters straight away. Hankerson is a good bet, especially if Moss moves on. And either Helu or Royster could possibly displace Torrain as the presumed starter. If I had to bet right now, I'd say that 2 of them will be starters on opening day, but it really could be 4.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football