Coaching HS?

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
+++++++++

Coaching HS?

Postby Skinsfan55 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:16 pm

If someone was looking to coach a HS team from scratch, where would they begin? Is there a primer out there on how to set up practices, playbooks and gameplans? I've been looking for books on the subject but it's either way too basic (in football there are 11 players on each side) or way too complex (they assume you already have the fundamentals down pat). I'm going to school to become a HS teacher and I'd like to start learning about coaching. Any tips of where to begin?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:15 pm

Start with what you have and read everything. Some books will whole sections that you can skip but there's always something to learn. the text that is to basic can become references for those that are too complex
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 pm

left side of the offense the gaps are odd numbers 1 3 5 holes, right side evens 3 4 6. QB is 1 HB is 2 FB is 3 so a 24 means the HB through the 4 hole (between the guard and tackle).
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:32 pm

If you are studying to be a teacher, maybe start coaching by volunteering to help the semi-paid coaches. Learn from them.

Return to Football 101