Doing it Right!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:58 am

lol, I live in Colorado Springs, who would have guessed there'd be this many Coloradans?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:28 am

I'm in Littleton and it's definitely nice to see other Skins' fans out here.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:29 am

I'm sort of worried about the QB position going forward. Thing is you can come overcome average QB play in the regular season, but this a QB league. Elite QBs win in the playoffs.

I feel like eventually we'll need to get lucky by finding an Andy Dalton type in the second round or trading up a bit to get a top QB to develop. I still wish we had picked up Ryan Mallett. 6'7, cannon arm, proven production in college, and was coming out of an NFL style offense in college, but like 30 other teams we drank the kool aid that he "talked funny". we'll probably be one of the teams trying to offer a first round pick for him soon enough.

The rest of the team is coming together pretty well. Feeling really good about us going from Point A to Point B, but not sure we can get from Point B to Point C(hampionship) without a top of the line QB.

Then again, if Jim Haslett wants to mimic the 2000 Ravens and tell Rex Grossman not to mess up.... That would work just fine for me.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I too wanted a QB but I really trust Shanahan's evaluation of players at the position. He passed on Gabbert and keyed on Kerrigan instead and the dude looks like a beast so far. It could be argued that he also passed on Ponder with this move. It's tough to say how much he liked Dalton and Colin Kaepernick because they were gone in the second round but we got Jenkins who looked good in practice so we should be alright.

Mallet looked good to me as well, but I just trust Shanahan's judgement on this. Either Shanny didn't think he was going to make it as a franchise type QB, he didn't like his character baggage or both. I too am a little concerned about Rex due to his past, but he's been solidly above average in Washington. 57% completions in 4 starts (5 games total), 11 TD, 6 int and 1,480 yards. He looks pretty good thus far against some stout defenses.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Postby redskinz4ever » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 pm

right now im happy with everything taking place.seems danny has finally stopped playing madden with his TOY if you will.let the football people do what they do.draft wise this is our best draft in the last 10 years (getting younger also) we are still finding pieces to our D which has been much improved from last years.our QB situation is well not good but it could be alot worse.GROSSMAN is average ..... and BECK is well im not sure.hopefully this offseason it is our # 1 thing on our bucket list.
oh and find a solid kicker every time GANO walks out to kick it makes me want to puke.
TOUCHDOWN .....WASHINGTON REDSKINS !!!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:56 pm

redskinz4ever wrote:right now im happy with everything taking place.seems danny has finally stopped playing madden with his TOY if you will.let the football people do what they do.draft wise this is our best draft in the last 10 years (getting younger also) we are still finding pieces to our D which has been much improved from last years.our QB situation is well not good but it could be alot worse.GROSSMAN is average ..... and BECK is well im not sure.hopefully this offseason it is our # 1 thing on our bucket list.
oh and find a solid kicker every time GANO walks out to kick it makes me want to puke.

Let us at least give Rex a whole season. Maybe everyone will be surprised. So far he doesn't look average. I think he can do it.

Hog

Postby SKINFAN » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:23 pm

I don't know about you guys, but personally, I like the careful Rexy rather than careless gunslinger Rexy. Everything is fine for now. Sure it'll be nice to have a better QB, but let's get everything lined up, have a good WR corps, we already have a rock solid run game. This way if and when we do get a good QB everything is set up for him to succeed. =)
#21 (36) This IS and will always be the High watermark where all new DB's are measured.

Proverbs 27:17

Postby redskinz4ever » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
redskinz4ever wrote:right now im happy with everything taking place.seems danny has finally stopped playing madden with his TOY if you will.let the football people do what they do.draft wise this is our best draft in the last 10 years (getting younger also) we are still finding pieces to our D which has been much improved from last years.our QB situation is well not good but it could be alot worse.GROSSMAN is average ..... and BECK is well im not sure.hopefully this offseason it is our # 1 thing on our bucket list.

Let us at least give Rex a whole season. Maybe everyone will be surprised. So far he doesn't look average. I think he can do it.
an average grossman is not a bad thing ...saying it could be worse

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:10 pm

No worries - NO player in B&G is going to be able to play if they don't do exactly what Mike, Jim and Kyle want them to do

Rex doesn't have to be good or be bad - he just needs to do his job
same goes for ALL the players - they just have to do their jobs on the practice field & in the games

what has been missing here is that the franchise has not been managed - now we have guys bringing in players that make the sum total better

loving the progress - the O line and parts of the offense still need upgrading
we are a work in progress this year and looking to be playoff contenders next season

ESPECIALLY if we can bring in a super QB and get him ready to play

GOTTA LOVE THE SHANAPLAN
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

Postby redskinz4ever » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:15 pm

SkinsJock wrote:No worries - NO player in B&G is going to be able to play if they don't do exactly what Mike, Jim and Kyle want them to do

Rex doesn't have to be good or be bad - he just needs to do his job
same goes for ALL the players - they just have to do their jobs on the practice field & in the games

what has been missing here is that the franchise has not been managed - now we have guys bringing in players that make the sum total better

loving the progress - the O line and parts of the offense still need upgrading
we are a work in progress this year and looking to be playoff contenders next season

ESPECIALLY if we can bring in a super QB and get him ready to play

GOTTA LOVE THE SHANAPLAN
100% agree ..... except playoff s this YEAR HTTR

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:21 am

EVERYONE would love to be in the playoffs - we might but ....
most of us are hoping that the product on the field will be in the playoffs consistently

we are not a very good team yet but we have improved a lot from 2009
we are getting there but we are CERTAINLY not there yet - that will take another draft & adding some more pieces

I'm loving the fact that the FO is really sticking to 'the plan' and not trying to just be good for the short term - these guys would love to win EVERY game but the reality is, this franchise is being assembled to be consistently good

we are making a lot of progress but we do not have the depth or, MOST IMPORTANTLY the QB .... yet :D
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 ... 27-21

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

I think we should look at the Tampa Bay situation to see a successful rebuild. They have a 23 y/o franchise QB and none of their starting offensive skill players are over 28 (Kellen Winslow Jr.) In fact, only two players on the team are over 29: their backup RB and Ronde Barber who has a shot at the HoF.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:00 am

oneman56 wrote:I'm in Littleton and it's definitely nice to see other Skins' fans out here.

Played my first year of organized ball in Littleton. Many, many, many, MANY years ago...Awesome OP btw. Nice to see some well thought out positives instead of the all too frequent gibberish. Well done sir.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:07 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/re ... story.html

Excellent work by Sally Jenkins. This column is about the culture change taking place in Washington and the discipline being shown by the team. Shanahan got rid of a former star QB and a guy who was once considered the best defensive lineman in the NFL, yet the Redskins are actually better this season than last.

McNabb and Haynesworth were both lazy and thought they were above the team. Now look at them. Shows Shanahan was right.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:41 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/washington-redskins-2011-no-more-false-hope/2011/09/21/gIQAtEW2lK_story.html

Excellent work by Sally Jenkins. This column is about the culture change taking place in Washington and the discipline being shown by the team. Shanahan got rid of a former star QB and a guy who was once considered the best defensive lineman in the NFL, yet the Redskins are actually better this season than last.

McNabb and Haynesworth were both lazy and thought they were above the team. Now look at them. Shows Shanahan was right.

Wow... I'll freely admit, I have had little respect for Sally Jenkins for several years... but that was a nice article. I can never recall being wrong... but perhaps this was one of those times that I was... less correct... :wink:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football