Doing it Right!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++

Doing it Right!

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:34 pm

Okay, so they're probably not going to the Superbowl. Rex Grossman isn't the best QB in the league, Fred Davis probably isn't the second coming of Kellen Winslow, these guys up front aren't the Hogs, our CB's aren't Hayes and Hanes... we don't have a lot of elite talent, but the Redskins are being built the right way!

The Redskins got rid of distractions and prima donas like Haynesworth and McNabb to change the culture of losing in Washington. They've brought in guys who are team oriented, who want to win. They also brought in high character guys through the draft who also fit the mold.

Kerrigan (23) has all the makings of a great linebacker and a compliment to Brian Orakpo. Trent Williams (23) has all the talent needed to become an elite LT. Fred Davis (25) appears to have all the talent to break out as a top 10 TE (at least!). LaRon Landry (26) hasn't seen the field yet due to injury, but there's another elite talent. We even have veteran role players like Chris Cooley, London Fletcher, Tim Hightower, Josh Wilson, DeAngelo Hall, OJ Atogwe who get the job done. We even have some talented youngsters stashed away who looked like stars in camp such as Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson and Roy Helu.

Bottom line is, we don't have a bad apple in this bunch. These guys all have one goal, and they feel like they could win every time they take the field. It's idiotic for a fan to think this is bad news or bemoan the early season wins as "costing" us Andrew Luck. This is how winning teams are built in the NFL. With a long term plan and patience.

Luck is a fine QB and I'm sure he'd be an asset to any franchise, but the team that tanks in search of the first pick is one that's going nowhere. FWIW I hope the Redskins do get a QB to build around. This QB class should be deep and you don't need to pick first to get someone. Josh Freeman is a fine young QB who got picked 17th overall (2009). There's other recent exampled like Joe Flacco (18th pick, 2008), Jay Cutler (11th pick, 2006), Aaron Rogers (24th pick, 2005), and Ben Roethlisberger (11th pick, 2004).

Given what I've seen so far in their rebuilding process I trust Shanny and Allen to make the right calls be it drafting a QB next season or passing on one in order to grab the right player for their system, as they did with Ryan Kerrigan when they passed on Gabbert.

This team is actually facing in the right direction for once. They're not pointed down, competing for the #1 overall pick. Thank God.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:38 pm

^ Very well said!

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:07 pm

Robert Griffin III (RGIII) Baylor would do just fine and would likely be there for the Skins if they continue to play well. You have a build a new winning culture and that has to the first priority.

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:46 pm

yeah, nice post :)

Hog

Re: Doing it Right!

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:47 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:Okay, so they're probably not going to the Superbowl. Rex Grossman isn't the best QB in the league, Fred Davis probably isn't the second coming of Kellen Winslow, these guys up front aren't the Hogs, our CB's aren't Hayes and Hanes... we don't have a lot of elite talent, but the Redskins are being built the right way!

Good post man. I hope more fans are feeling this way and being realistic. I'm happy about the first two wins, but we're not an elite team and who knows what our final record will be this year.

The best thing about this season so far is seeing a young team, playing together and being competitive. I think we have real reason to hope for success in the near future.

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:47 am

Great summary of where we are. It's going to take a while but this is the most optimistic I've been in a long time.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Think about it. We earned our 4-12 collar in 2009. The Redskins stunk. We had a decent young QB in Jason Campbell who I liked, but could be argued had lost the fans and the team and was never going to be a franchise guy. We had a broken down RB (Clinton Portis) who was becoming poison in the clubhouse and had work ethic problems. We had Antwaan Randle El as a high priced productionless WR/KR. The OL was horrible (best player was an aging Rabach.)

On defense we featured an old defensive line, decent but aging linebackers, good corners and weaknesses at the safety spots (with Landry miscast as a FS.) There was virtually NO depth anywhere on the team except TE.

The re-build started slow and he made a mistake with McNabb. The idea was that McNabb would come in and take the reins becoming the face of the franchise but I believe Shanahan misjudged him. McNabb isn't that type of guy. Shanahan and Allen had only one draft pick in the first 3 rounds in 2010 and they had a decent showing. 4 of the 6 guys are still with the team (Williams, Riley, Austin, and Cook). Shanahan also brought in Torain, Lichtensteiger, Brown, Carriker, Buchanon and others. While those guys might not be stars they do make up some solid depth. This is a deep Redskins roster and they are another year, or two years from turning the ship around. I personally can't wait to see what they do with another offseason.

Don't you feel like the Skins are in better shape than last season? The year before?
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Postby redskinz4ever » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:24 pm

GoSkins wrote:Great summary of where we are. It's going to take a while but this is the most optimistic I've been in a long time.
this team has a "FEEL" to it and it feels so good
TOUCHDOWN .....WASHINGTON REDSKINS !!!!

Re: Doing it Right!

Postby yupchagee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:10 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Okay, so they're probably not going to the Superbowl. Rex Grossman isn't the best QB in the league, Fred Davis probably isn't the second coming of Kellen Winslow, these guys up front aren't the Hogs, our CB's aren't Hayes and Hanes... we don't have a lot of elite talent, but the Redskins are being built the right way!

The Redskins got rid of distractions and prima donas like Haynesworth and McNabb to change the culture of losing in Washington. They've brought in guys who are team oriented, who want to win. They also brought in high character guys through the draft who also fit the mold.

Kerrigan (23) has all the makings of a great linebacker and a compliment to Brian Orakpo. Trent Williams (23) has all the talent needed to become an elite LT. Fred Davis (25) appears to have all the talent to break out as a top 10 TE (at least!). LaRon Landry (26) hasn't seen the field yet due to injury, but there's another elite talent. We even have veteran role players like Chris Cooley, London Fletcher, Tim Hightower, Josh Wilson, DeAngelo Hall, OJ Atogwe who get the job done. We even have some talented youngsters stashed away who looked like stars in camp such as Jarvis Jenkins, Leonard Hankerson and Roy Helu.

Bottom line is, we don't have a bad apple in this bunch. These guys all have one goal, and they feel like they could win every time they take the field. It's idiotic for a fan to think this is bad news or bemoan the early season wins as "costing" us Andrew Luck. This is how winning teams are built in the NFL. With a long term plan and patience.

Luck is a fine QB and I'm sure he'd be an asset to any franchise, but the team that tanks in search of the first pick is one that's going nowhere. FWIW I hope the Redskins do get a QB to build around. This QB class should be deep and you don't need to pick first to get someone. Josh Freeman is a fine young QB who got picked 17th overall (2009). There's other recent exampled like Joe Flacco (18th pick, 2008), Jay Cutler (11th pick, 2006), Aaron Rogers (24th pick, 2005), and Ben Roethlisberger (11th pick, 2004).

Given what I've seen so far in their rebuilding process I trust Shanny and Allen to make the right calls be it drafting a QB next season or passing on one in order to grab the right player for their system, as they did with Ryan Kerrigan when they passed on Gabbert.

This team is actually facing in the right direction for once. They're not pointed down, competing for the #1 overall pick. Thank God.

Role players? Several of these guys are probowlers!
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:12 pm

That just means they're good at their roles. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:Robert Griffin III (RGIII) Baylor would do just fine and would likely be there for the Skins if they continue to play well. You have a build a new winning culture and that has to the first priority.

Hmmmmm... I'm going to start a "Whiff for Griff" campaign... I just know it will be very popular among my 'skins brethren, who will concur that we should blow the rest of the season.

Don't worry, CSF... it's tongue in cheek... though I do think Griffin would be a great catch...

Whiff for Griff! :up: Next up? My "Go Cowboys" thread!
Last edited by Countertrey on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 pm

How about "Dominate for Super Bowl"?
XVII XXII XXVI

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:56 pm

4. This is the seventh time the Redskins have started 2-0 since 1978, with five of the previous six trips resulting in a playoff berth. But this is the ninth time a Mike Shanahan team has opened 2-0. And only four of the previous eight times ended in the postseason.

So what does being 2-0 mean to Shanahan?

“You just win two games, that’s about it,” he said. “I don’t think our players are overly excited that we’re 2-0. They understand we have a big game Monday night against Dallas and things change very quickly. Our concentration will be on Dallas and not what our record is.”

5. That’s quite a change from the Jim Zorn era. When the Redskins were approaching their 6-2 mark, Zorn talked about the playoffs and how he had to think about making sure certain players were ready for the postseason. And around that time I remember seeing Clinton Portis getting ready to tape a show while seated just by the practice field. Before the taping began he was talking with Randy Thomas and I kept hearing Portis say, “Championships!” Looking way too far ahead. It’s a moment that stuck with me and helped explain, in part, why that season fell apart.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl ... z1YSC1TPk3

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:06 am

Whiff for Griff. I like that!!

I guess my point was I think he's a mid first round pick. We play to win and rebuild our respectability and tradition. Shanny and Allen have now proven they can find talent and character outside of the 1st 10 picks of the draft. RG3 fits that mold if we are looking to find a future franchise QB.

Great initial post. Thanks for the welcome. Been watching for a while and decided to jump in.

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:45 am

nice to see another Colorado Skin fan to the board. Welcome CSF!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football