Matt Flynn

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1922
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:54 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
everydayAskinsday wrote:IF the Redskins sign Matt Flynn does anyone see them taking a QB in the 1st round still?

Lets say RGIII is sitting there at #6 for us... I think it would be a very TOUGH decision for the front office.. in signing Flynn you are essentially saying he is going to be your starter for the foreseeable future and now you have the option to address other holes on your team BUT a kid like RGIII might not come around again and Flynn might be a product of Green Bays system.. What would you do? One reason why its much easier being a fan


It's not that silly... RGIII is NOT NFL ready. He has fundamentals to learn. It is not likely that he will be game ready until deep into the season... if not the following season.

None the less, my thinking is that if the Shanahans deal with and get Flynn, they see him as their quarterback... and will look to do more foundation building on the offense... OL... and WR, and more finishing on the defense... DB's, NT, ILB...


They said the same thing about Cam Newton, as a matter of fact most people think RGIII is more NFL ready than Cam was when he came out!

Whomever is drafted #6 will be expected to start before the first jacket is needed at FedEx. The #6 overall pick WILL NOT sit for very long and certaily won't sit for two seasons (or even one).

That is one of the reasons I think there is know way in hell Peyton is still a Colt in April if they intend on drafting Luck! Luck will start from day one for team team that drafts him.


I was going to make that same point/ask the question "Didn't we hear the same damn thing about Cam Newton?" to use a very recent example of a clearly awesome college QB that beat/played well against elite level teams with tons of NFL talent on them.

And Cam didn't have an entire off season with coaches learning "fundamentals".

AND Cam had not already graduated (in three years) with 3.67 GPA (cited to show RGIII's ability to learn apparently rather quickly).

Was Cam not NFL ready by game 1 due to the "fundamentals" he so clearly lacked in college and had to learn? Even if its true that Luck has already learned these fundamentals AND RGIII has not, that has less to do with their respective grasps of them come game one of 2012 for their NFL teams.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge
Posts: 14324
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Y'all can continue to cite the exception to the rule (Cam) all you'd like. The reality is, spread quarterbacks typically are behind the curve in learning pro offenses...

The reality is, you don't count on Cam learning to play as quickly as he did... and you WON'T count on RGIII being game ready following training camp, either. Intelligence is one thing... adapting to NFL offenses and defenses, and NFL speed is quite another.

I will not be surprised if Griffin is knocking it out of the park at game one... but I'm not going to be surprised if he is making one mistake after another... or on someone's bench... either.

BTW, I am a huge fan of RGIII... so it's not necessary to convince ME... it's Shanahan that you must convince.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm

NEWSFLASH: Skins are talking about Flynn


Report: Skins 'very interested' in Matt Flynn Citing sources inside the organization, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell reports the Redskins are "very interested" in free agent QB Matt Flynn.
ESPN's Mel Kiper told reporters earlier in the day that "grapevine" talk suggested the Redskins didn't have a high opinion of Flynn. Russell knows "for sure," though, that coach Mike Shanahan and OC Kyle Shanahan had a "detailed conversation" two weeks ago on Flynn's six-touchdown, 480-yard performance against the Lions in the regular season finale. Whereas Charley Casserly suggested Flynn wouldn't be a good fit for the Redskins offense, one team source tells Russell the two systems are "almost the same."
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14324
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:04 pm

As we move along... I'm thinking Flynn and Weeden... Flynn and Weeden... Flynn and Weeden... but my heart still says Whiff for Griff...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:19 pm

This is the long version of Chris Russell's report:

http://redskins.espn980.com/bloggers/ch ... want-flynn?

tribeofjudah wrote:NEWSFLASH: Skins are talking about Flynn


Report: Skins 'very interested' in Matt Flynn Citing sources inside the organization, ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell reports the Redskins are "very interested" in free agent QB Matt Flynn.
ESPN's Mel Kiper told reporters earlier in the day that "grapevine" talk suggested the Redskins didn't have a high opinion of Flynn. Russell knows "for sure," though, that coach Mike Shanahan and OC Kyle Shanahan had a "detailed conversation" two weeks ago on Flynn's six-touchdown, 480-yard performance against the Lions in the regular season finale. Whereas Charley Casserly suggested Flynn wouldn't be a good fit for the Redskins offense, one team source tells Russell the two systems are "almost the same."
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

tribe
Posts: 6107
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:14 pm

WELL..........now that the OC from GreenBay has accepted the Miami job, he may likely take Flynn with him to the Fins.


JermichaelF88 Jermichael Finley
A huge congratulations to Joe Philbin on his HEAD COACH position in Miami. No one deserves it more than this guy. The Pack will miss him!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:17 am

And if Miami doesn't make a run at Flynn, that should tell you something.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge
Posts: 14324
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:02 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:And if Miami doesn't make a run at Flynn, that should tell you something.


Seems like a reasonable postulation to me...

To Tribe's point... the Redskins are much closer to being a good team than Miami is... and we also know that money talks. Philbin in MIA does not provide much of an advantage in any competition. The Redskins are probably a more attractive option to Flynn than Miami would be.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

goskins
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA

Postby GoSkins » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Countertrey wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:And if Miami doesn't make a run at Flynn, that should tell you something.


Seems like a reasonable postulation to me...

To Tribe's point... the Redskins are much closer to being a good team than Miami is... and we also know that money talks. Philbin in MIA does not provide much of an advantage in any competition. The Redskins are probably a more attractive option to Flynn than Miami would be.


I don't think we're much closer to be a good team than Miami. In my opinion they were close to being a better team than we were by mid season.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14324
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:23 pm

GoSkins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:And if Miami doesn't make a run at Flynn, that should tell you something.


Seems like a reasonable postulation to me...

To Tribe's point... the Redskins are much closer to being a good team than Miami is... and we also know that money talks. Philbin in MIA does not provide much of an advantage in any competition. The Redskins are probably a more attractive option to Flynn than Miami would be.


I don't think we're much closer to be a good team than Miami. In my opinion they were close to being a better team than we were by mid season.
Disagree.

1: Philbin is going to install a new offense. That, alone, sets Miami back.

2: A competent quarterback would have made a difference of up to 4 or 5 wins for the Redskins. Where would that have placed us?

3: The Redskins defense is going to be super solid next year, especially with any improvement in the d-backfield.

4: The O line, as evidenced by the last 3 games, is MUCH closer than anyone thought. There seem to be one or two hidden jewels there. One or two additional starters, and this unit is not only much improved, but appears to have significant depth. The running game was not a product of those impressive rookie RBs alone... they had to have holes. Still work needed, but I'm far less concerned than I thought I would be about this unit. Time spent together improves the pass blocking.

Keep in mind, we were short a solid and improving rookie posession receiver, an excellent tight end, a very solid LG, a DE who appears to be blue chip, and had multiple quality players running game to game.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

goskins
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Hampden-Sydney, VA

Postby GoSkins » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Countertrey wrote:
GoSkins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:And if Miami doesn't make a run at Flynn, that should tell you something.


Seems like a reasonable postulation to me...

To Tribe's point... the Redskins are much closer to being a good team than Miami is... and we also know that money talks. Philbin in MIA does not provide much of an advantage in any competition. The Redskins are probably a more attractive option to Flynn than Miami would be.


I don't think we're much closer to be a good team than Miami. In my opinion they were close to being a better team than we were by mid season.
Disagree.


1: Philbin is going to install a new offense. That, alone, sets Miami back.

2: A competent quarterback would have made a difference of up to 4 or 5 wins for the Redskins. Where would that have placed us?

3: The Redskins defense is going to be super solid next year, especially with any improvement in the d-backfield.

4: The O line, as evidenced by the last 3 games, is MUCH closer than anyone thought. There seem to be one or two hidden jewels there. One or two additional starters, and this unit is not only much improved, but appears to have significant depth. The running game was not a product of those impressive rookie RBs alone... they had to have holes. Still work needed, but I'm far less concerned than I thought I would be about this unit. Time spent together improves the pass blocking.

Keep in mind, we were short a solid and improving rookie posession receiver, an excellent tight end, a very solid LG, a DE who appears to be blue chip, and had multiple quality players running game to game.


I'm in no mood to offer a rebuttal. Let's agree to disagree.

Return to General Manager's Office