why we should trade up for a franchise QB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:57 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
SCSkinsFan wrote:All indications point to the fact that we aren't going to be drafting high enough to get either Luck or RGIII. And the teams ahead of us would want way too much for us to mortgage our future to try to move up to get one of them.
Best scenario I have seen so far is that we sign Matt Flynn in free Agency and draft J. Blackmon with our 6th pick. QB + game changing playmaker. I kind of like that scenario.

THIS would be OK if we were not in need of so many players - we are not able to just fine tune the offense yet

We are not far off but we do have a lot of positions to not only fill but also to have some quality depth

This FO is NOT taking a RB or WR with the #6 pick in this draft

Well then we better make sure we get one in the 2nd or 3rd round, a WR that is, because as of right now our 2 best ones are 30+ with a lot of other unproven ones on the roster.

piglet

Postby elprez19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:59 pm

Why is everyone so horny about flynn? Is he that much better than Beck or Gross Rexman? He has started a couple games and put up some decent numbers after playing in the same offense with some stud receivers for a couple yrs. Who else has done pretty decent then came here and crapped the bed? I think we need someone with a clean slate

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:22 pm

elprez19 wrote:Why is everyone so horny about flynn? Is he that much better than Beck or Gross Rexman? He has started a couple games and put up some decent numbers after playing in the same offense with some stud receivers for a couple yrs. Who else has done pretty decent then came here and crapped the bed? I think we need someone with a clean slate

normally I would agree, but just in watching the two games he played in from recent memory, he seemed very poised in the pocket and throws a very accurate pass....two traits that are pretty important for a QB.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:28 pm

elprez19 wrote:Why is everyone so horny about flynn? Is he that much better than Beck or Gross Rexman? He has started a couple games and put up some decent numbers after playing in the same offense with some stud receivers for a couple yrs. Who else has done pretty decent then came here and crapped the bed? I think we need someone with a clean slate

+1
Suck and Luck

piglet

Postby elprez19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Matt Flynn Scouting Report - Scouts, Inc.Grade: 59 | Key

Comment: Flynn has good size with average arm strength and athleticism. He doesn't have a powerful arm but can be accurate on his short and intermediate throws. He isn't a run threat but can slide in the pocket and make a play downfield when under duress. He is an intelligent, instinctive quarterback who performed well when he was given an opportunity.

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Skeletor wrote:I like your avatar SCSkinsFan. I came across a retro Sonny Jurgenson jersey in a TJ Maxx about 10 years ago and still kick myself for not buying it...

That's actually a picture of an oil painting that I created from pictures and the cover from a Gameday Program that my father used to send me when I was stationed in Taiwan. I designed it and took to a local artist who then painted the oil painitng on canvas. If you'll look closely that's Charley Taylor catching a pass in the upper left nand corner, Larry Brown toting the rock in the lower left hand corner, and Jerry Smith (RIP) making a one handed grab in the lower right hand corner.
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:53 pm

SCSkinsFan wrote:
Skeletor wrote:I like your avatar SCSkinsFan. I came across a retro Sonny Jurgenson jersey in a TJ Maxx about 10 years ago and still kick myself for not buying it...

That's actually a picture of an oil painting that I created from pictures and the cover from a Gameday Program that my father used to send me when I was stationed in Taiwan. I designed it and took to a local artist who then painted the oil painitng on canvas. If you'll look closely that's Charley Taylor catching a pass in the upper left nand corner, Larry Brown toting the rock in the lower left hand corner, and Jerry Smith (RIP) making a one handed grab in the lower right hand corner.

Awesome!

SCskinsFan

Postby SCSkinsFan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

GoSkins wrote:
SCSkinsFan wrote:

Awesome!

It hangs proudly at my house. BTW - My cousin is a graduate of Hampden-Sydney. He lives in Richmond, VA and suffers along with the rest of us. Skeletor should have bought that Retro Jersey!
Skins fan Stuck in Panther land

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

SCSkinsFan wrote:
GoSkins wrote:
SCSkinsFan wrote:

Awesome!

It hangs proudly at my house. BTW - My cousin is a graduate of Hampden-Sydney. He lives in Richmond, VA and suffers along with the rest of us. Skeletor should have bought that Retro Jersey!

I reside at Hampden-Sydney. I am a professor of History and have been a fan since the 1950's.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:38 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I don't think we give up draft picks to move out of the #6 spot - I think they take RGIII if he's there
I actually think they try the trade down deal again

I understand the fierce support of those that want to "do whatever it takes" - just don't think it happens

Yeah I completely agree with you on this. Guess we'll see in a few months!

I agree wholeheartedly. I do NOT want to waste draft picks on ANYONE. Sign Flynn, take a rookie QB in a later round, and then take Blackmon with the #6 pick in the first round. That is, if the Rams don't take him first.

It would be nice, but I kind of think we'd be better off adding another solid offensive lineman with that pick and keep that QB protected.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:43 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
SCSkinsFan wrote:All indications point to the fact that we aren't going to be drafting high enough to get either Luck or RGIII. And the teams ahead of us would want way too much for us to mortgage our future to try to move up to get one of them.
Best scenario I have seen so far is that we sign Matt Flynn in free Agency and draft J. Blackmon with our 6th pick. QB + game changing playmaker. I kind of like that scenario.

THIS would be OK if we were not in need of so many players - we are not able to just fine tune the offense yet

We are not far off but we do have a lot of positions to not only fill but also to have some quality depth

I disagree, but then again, what else is new. We don't have that many holes to fill that we can't do it in one off-season any more. With the draft and free agency, I think we can fill our holes and still get more depth this year.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Deadskins - you and I have a different perspective on this

I think we're close but only IF we continue with the plan

we need 3 starters on the O line, 2 ...oh, what the hell - you'd disagree with anything I posted anyway :lol:

thankfully Bruce and Mike are not going to do what you OR I want :wink:

I will remind you though :twisted:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:

normally I would agree, but just in watching the two games he played in from recent memory, he seemed very poised in the pocket and throws a very accurate pass....two traits that are pretty important for a QB.

To bad we can't see what he can do after someone game plans for him.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:... We don't have that many holes to fill that we can't do it in one off-season any more. With the draft and free agency, I think we can fill our holes and still get more depth this year.

proof positive that you really are not in touch :twisted: I used to think that I was optimistic - you are dreaming
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Let look at this rationally. What teams are dominating right now? I don't think every team going to the playoffs is ..or even that great for that matter *NY. What do they all have in common?
The team with arguably the best CB tandem is watching from home- Jets
Urlacher and his bears D is home
The two RBs w the most yards? Guess?
Even Fitzgerald megatron ect cant carry their teams to post season.
Its Franchise QBs! Ding ding ding!
Is it a coincidence that most any NFL fan w slight knowledge of other teams can name every qb in the playoffs? How about RB? Gets a little harder eh?
As far as ranked Ds carrying their teams I count three that are in the playoffs with the Norm being pretty poor D. However the Ravens Pitti and SF all have good offense and franchise Qbs so it isn't like the Bears carrying grossy to the SB.
Most teams that are winning NOW is with good to great offenses carrying the team. The top two seeds having close to the worst D in gb and ne.

I'm not saying D doesn't win games or that qb alone is all we need BUT its the most important piece WE need at this time.
I could care less what we've done in the past.. As for the shanny plan anyone here who thinks they know his agenda is delusional. Last year we added pieces to the D and saw it go from 31st to 15th w a lot of time @ or around top ten. This year its O.
My opinion is our O isn't as far off as most think. And our D aswell. With everyone healthy and a few signings in free agency OL, WR, possibly LB and CB the only glaring hole is QB.
We add a franchise QB we are instantly a better team and had it been this year and not Rex in the playoffs. To me no price is to high to add the center piece of a team and become a force for the next couple years. If drafting more possible players for depth and hoping one pans out as a starter is more important to you then taking a gamble on a guy that may or may not lead us out of the basement and into the next glory years... Then I'm glad u aren't calling the shots.
How was Flynns college stats? Sure wasn't coveted like Luck or RGiii. Two players that can be coached up and groomed to be the next Brady Rogers etc.
We ARE a few pieces away and the biggest is QB. To me that says do what ever it takes to get the best possible solution. Then fill holes w FA and what ever picks left.
Its my thinking that after this year we won't be picking in the top ten anymore so trading a 32 overall pick isn't a big deal.
When have we made a big move to get a franchise qb? Oh that's right not in my life time. To hell with trading up and youth we already have youth. Let's make move for once instead pay a FA back up or retread and expect anything but the same.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football