Off-season needs - Free Agency or Draft?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk

Off-season needs - Free Agency or Draft?

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37 am

Which do we adress in Free Agency (FA) and which in Draft (D)?

Quarterback: We haven't had anything better than mediocre quarterbacking since the early 90s. Peyton Manning and Robert Griffin will probably be available this offseason. We can't go into the 2012 season with Rex Grossman as the starter.

Wide Receiver: We have some good young wideouts on the roster. Santana Moss is still there as well. None of them, however, is a legitimate No. 1 weapon.

Left Guard: Kory Lichtensteiger played well in 2011, but tore his ACL and MCL. There's no guarantee he'll be anywhere close to 100 percent this year.

Inside Linebacker Depth: London Fletcher continues to excel. Perry Riley was really good in replacing Rocky McIntosh who is as good as gone. We will need depth, as well as a successor for Fletcher.

Right Tackle: We should look into adding an insurance policy at right tackle because Jammal Brown can't seem to get healthy. His hip injury just won't go away.

Cornerback Depth: We don't really have anything behind DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson. Nickel Kevin Barnes struggled in 2011.

Nose Tackle: Barry Cofield was good at nose tackle but he would probably be a better fit at defensive end. Actually, a rotaion at end with Cofiled, Bowen, and Carriker would be Gient-esque if we found a true nose for 1st and 2nd downs.

Tight End: Fred Davis and Chris Cooley both have issues - dope and health.

Center: Will Montgomery was Cofield-esque but he's another free agent who will have to be retained.

Strong Safety: LaRon Landry?

Kicker: Graham Gano's field goal percentages the past two years: 68.6, 75.6. The latter figure was the result of five blocks, however. He ended up 15th in the league at 86.11% on unblocked kicks and 1 make out of the top 10. He was also one of the best beyound 50 yards and we were #2 in kick off. Gano is an improving free agent.

Rush Linebacker Depth: If either Ryan Kerrigan or Brian Orakpo goes down, we won't have much of a pass rush. That would change with a true NT and a 3-end rotation.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 am

Don't forget, Jarvis Jenkins will be back.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Re: Off-season needs - Free Agency or Draft?

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:58 am

Here's my My 2 cents :

Draft: QB, ILB, TE

Free Agrency: WR, CB

I'm stuck on LG, RT, & SS.

Good point about Jenkins coming back but I still feel weak-ish at true NT.

Bring in FA competition for Gano and hope Gano wins and proves worthy.

DarthMonk wrote:Which do we adress in Free Agency (FA) and which in Draft (D)?

Anybody got anything on OL either in draft or FA?

Quarterback: We haven't had anything better than mediocre quarterbacking since the early 90s. Peyton Manning and Robert Griffin will probably be available this offseason. We can't go into the 2012 season with Rex Grossman as the starter.

Wide Receiver: We have some good young wideouts on the roster. Santana Moss is still there as well. None of them, however, is a legitimate No. 1 weapon.

Left Guard: Kory Lichtensteiger played well in 2011, but tore his ACL and MCL. There's no guarantee he'll be anywhere close to 100 percent this year.

Inside Linebacker Depth: London Fletcher continues to excel. Perry Riley was really good in replacing Rocky McIntosh who is as good as gone. We will need depth, as well as a successor for Fletcher.

Right Tackle: We should look into adding an insurance policy at right tackle because Jammal Brown can't seem to get healthy. His hip injury just won't go away.

Cornerback Depth: We don't really have anything behind DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson. Nickel Kevin Barnes struggled in 2011.

Nose Tackle: Barry Cofield was good at nose tackle but he would probably be a better fit at defensive end. Actually, a rotaion at end with Cofiled, Bowen, and Carriker would be Gient-esque if we found a true nose for 1st and 2nd downs.

Tight End: Fred Davis and Chris Cooley both have issues - dope and health.

Center: Will Montgomery was Cofield-esque but he's another free agent who will have to be retained.

Strong Safety: LaRon Landry?

Kicker: Graham Gano's field goal percentages the past two years: 68.6, 75.6. The latter figure was the result of five blocks, however. He ended up 15th in the league at 86.11% on unblocked kicks and 1 make out of the top 10. He was also one of the best beyound 50 yards and we were #2 in kick off. Gano is an improving free agent.

Rush Linebacker Depth: If either Ryan Kerrigan or Brian Orakpo goes down, we won't have much of a pass rush. That would change with a true NT and a 3-end rotation.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 am

Any position we can upgrade through FA without overpaying we should go for it.

I at think RT we may be doing more than just looking for depth for Brown. I'd say its 50/50 that he's back at all.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:31 pm

I think a good guard to target might be Mark Brisiel from the Texans. He could step into our huddle immediately. He's 29. Chris Myers from the same team can play center or guard. He's 30.

At wide receiver I'd go after Dwayne Bowe from KC. He's 27. His production is excellent - especially when you consider his QB situation. He's a big guy too - 6' 2", 220#.

If we could get a Texan and Bowe it would only be cash and would fill two big needs on offense.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 pm

NG is not a position that we need to spend any money or time on. Cofield rounded into form fine over the course of the year, he is precisely what we need and the year you just saw from him will probably be his worst at the position (being that it was kinda his first). With Jenkins return and Nield on the Roster, there's back up to Cofield on certain situational downs or for creativity.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:45 pm

emoses14 wrote:NG is not a position that we need to spend any money or time on. Cofield rounded into form fine over the course of the year, he is precisely what we need and the year you just saw from him will probably be his worst at the position (being that it was kinda his first). With Jenkins return and Nield on the Roster, there's back up to Cofield on certain situational downs or for creativity.

+1
Frankly, I think there's untapped upside to Nield. He will be stronger, probabaly heavier... he was effective in relief... and that can move Cofield to situational work at NT, and free's him to enter the DE rotation... where he would be killer... and would make us literally inexhaustable in terms of DE depth...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 am

Countertrey wrote:
emoses14 wrote:NG is not a position that we need to spend any money or time on. Cofield rounded into form fine over the course of the year, he is precisely what we need and the year you just saw from him will probably be his worst at the position (being that it was kinda his first). With Jenkins return and Nield on the Roster, there's back up to Cofield on certain situational downs or for creativity.

+1
Frankly, I think there's untapped upside to Nield. He will be stronger, probabaly heavier... he was effective in relief... and that can move Cofield to situational work at NT, and free's him to enter the DE rotation... where he would be killer... and would make us literally inexhaustable in terms of DE depth...

I hope you guys are right b/c I'd much rather see Cofield play fewer snaps with some of them at DE. He'll last more years and be better down-to-down as would everyone else on the D line.

This could become an elite unit if things work out.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to General Manager's Office