McShay Mock Draft - Skins Take Blackmon

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Canes Skin

McShay Mock Draft - Skins Take Blackmon

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:05 pm

He also has Tannehill going in the first round to Denver.

Justin Blackmon*, WR, Oklahoma State
This pick is made with the assumption the Redskins do not trade up to take Griffin and plan to fill their quarterback need via free agency (Peyton Manning?). They also have a need at cornerback and would likely take Claiborne if he were available, but in this scenario Blackmon is the best choice. He offers an upgrade over current starters Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney and would give Washington a big-bodied receiver who can produce down the field.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/page/McShayMock2.0/2012-nfl-mock-draft-defenders-balance-top-10-todd-mcshay-latest-projection
Suck and Luck

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I wouldn't mind this. Him + Hankerson... Nice combo.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm

I have to admit . . . Manning + Blackmon is an intriguing prospect. We've got the youth, depth, running game, and some promising receivers. Picking up a stud wideout plus Manning could really put this offense in an interesting place going into the season.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I have to admit . . . Manning + Blackmon is an intriguing prospect. We've got the youth, depth, running game, and some promising receivers. Picking up a stud wideout plus Manning could really put this offense in an interesting place going into the season.

And then maybe next year between Barkley, Jones, and whoever else makes a name for themselves, we could have a shot at a good, young QB for the future.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I have to admit . . . Manning + Blackmon is an intriguing prospect. We've got the youth, depth, running game, and some promising receivers. Picking up a stud wideout plus Manning could really put this offense in an interesting place going into the season.

It's unrealistic. Reports have said that Manning likely wont know until May, after the draft, how his arm has healed and if he'll be able to throw the way he needs to this season. We can't sit around through FA and the draft in hopes of Manning being healthy.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 pm

I have a hard time believing Blackmon will be the pick but I guess we'll see. I'm really hoping Hankerson comes back healthy next year though. You never know. We might already have the WR we think we need right there in Hankerson.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

It's unrealistic. Reports have said that Manning likely wont know until May, after the draft, how his arm has healed and if he'll be able to throw the way he needs to this season. We can't sit around through FA and the draft in hopes of Manning being healthy.

Um...we need to decide now? If he's cleared in May we can't decide then if he's worth pursuing? What is the NFL rule that says that we have to decide in early February if Manning is an option in May? I'm not familiar with that one.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:33 pm

riggofan wrote:I have a hard time believing Blackmon will be the pick but I guess we'll see. I'm really hoping Hankerson comes back healthy next year though. You never know. We might already have the WR we think we need right there in Hankerson.

Are you kidding? Blackmon is a very likely pick. He's a great prospect at a serious position of need. Why on earth wouldn't we seriously consider that if he's there when we pick?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:33 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Um...we need to decide now? If he's cleared in May we can't decide then if he's worth pursuing? What is the NFL rule that says that we have to decide in early February if Manning is an option in May? I'm not familiar with that one.

I didn't say that. What I said is that we have to address the qb situation before the situation with Manning becomes clear. Manning isn't going to sign with a team that drafts a qb high in the draft. If he was interested in that type of situation he'd stay in Indy.
Suck and Luck

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

I didn't say that. What I said is that we have to address the qb situation before the situation with Manning becomes clear. Manning isn't going to sign with a team that drafts a qb high in the draft. If he was interested in that type of situation he'd stay in Indy.

So who said we wait? News flash, there is an excellent chance that no matter how hard we try a HOF bound QB in their mid thirties will still be our best option. PARTICULARLY if we draft a rookie.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:25 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:

Unless Indy cuts him loose. :idea: It may not be his choice. Whatever team signs him is going to make him the starter, that's for sure. So if that team drafted a QB high, then the rookie would have to sit behind PM. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I think we address WR through FA.. Big Hank should be good he was maturing well (most yards by a rook wr in a game by any one in franchise history is pretty good).
As for PM I wouldn't mind him grooming a second tier qb we draft or even let RGIII learn from the best. Couldn't hurt imo. Then if he did go down the rook has learned from him and doesn't have all the pressure on his shoulders out the gate to do well.

Of course Blackmon is a stud so can't say I'd bang my fist if he was called @ #6
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:53 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
riggofan wrote:I have a hard time believing Blackmon will be the pick but I guess we'll see. I'm really hoping Hankerson comes back healthy next year though. You never know. We might already have the WR we think we need right there in Hankerson.

Are you kidding? Blackmon is a very likely pick. He's a great prospect at a serious position of need. Why on earth wouldn't we seriously consider that if he's there when we pick?

Settle down the heck down, man! I'm just offering my personal opinion. I didn't say there is no way in hell Blackmon will be the pick, and I didn't say the team shouldn't seriously consider him. MY PERSONAL OPINION though is that we will probably address WR during free agency and do something else in the draft.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:32 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:I didn't say that. What I said is that we have to address the qb situation before the situation with Manning becomes clear.

He's been cleared by the doctors to play. I know he won't have the zip that he normally does, but it's not clear whether that will ever come back. An Manning without as much zip is still light years ahead of where we were this year.

Manning isn't going to sign with a team that drafts a qb high in the draft. If he was interested in that type of situation he'd stay in Indy.

I don't think he could stay in Indy even if he wanted to. They are cutting him before that roster bonus is due. And besides, if we sign Manning, we won't be drafting a QB high in the draft. I would take that as a sign that Shanny will go after someone next year at the earliest.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Settle down the heck down, man! I'm just offering my personal opinion. I didn't say there is no way in hell Blackmon will be the pick, and I didn't say the team shouldn't seriously consider him. MY PERSONAL OPINION though is that we will probably address WR during free agency and do something else in the draft.

Settle down? I'd have to settle up first. I never get the thing where responding to someone's opinion was somehow depriving them of their right to an opinion. Why can't your opinion be what it is, and my opinion is that I disagree? It seems like a reasonable scenario to me.

Return to General Manager's Office