Who's your 10%?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 pm

1niksder wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Managing the cap, this will also allow them to front load any free agent contract so that down the line it will allow our contracts to be better balanced.

See Fletcher. Sign him to a 3 year deal paying 12-15 million this year and then 2-3 the next two. That would make say a 3 year, 18 million contract paying on average 6 m per year. I think both parties would do that in a heartbeat. Only concern would be Fletch retiring after this season. There could be a clause written in that if he retires b4 the end of the 3 years, part of the singing bonus is due back.


If you pay him $12 the first year how much will be base and how much is the signing bonus?

$4M base would mean a cap hit of $6.7M in 2012, $4.7M the following 2 years. A four year deal might be better.


What do you think Fletch could get on the open market?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:28 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
1niksder wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Managing the cap, this will also allow them to front load any free agent contract so that down the line it will allow our contracts to be better balanced.

See Fletcher. Sign him to a 3 year deal paying 12-15 million this year and then 2-3 the next two. That would make say a 3 year, 18 million contract paying on average 6 m per year. I think both parties would do that in a heartbeat. Only concern would be Fletch retiring after this season. There could be a clause written in that if he retires b4 the end of the 3 years, part of the singing bonus is due back.


If you pay him $12 the first year how much will be base and how much is the signing bonus?

$4M base would mean a cap hit of $6.7M in 2012, $4.7M the following 2 years. A four year deal might be better.


What do you think Fletch could get on the open market?


About 4 years / $30M with about $15M guaranteed would be the high end, IMO.

Something like...

$10M signing bonus, $2M base in 2012, $3M base in 2013 both years guaranteed. $5.5M base plus $1M roster bonus in 2014 and $7M case plus $1M roster bonus in 2015.

Cap hits would $4.5M... $5.5M... $9M... and $10.5M

If he slows down after 2013 they can cut him and save $4M in cap space for 2014
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:00 pm

1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
1niksder wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Managing the cap, this will also allow them to front load any free agent contract so that down the line it will allow our contracts to be better balanced.

See Fletcher. Sign him to a 3 year deal paying 12-15 million this year and then 2-3 the next two. That would make say a 3 year, 18 million contract paying on average 6 m per year. I think both parties would do that in a heartbeat. Only concern would be Fletch retiring after this season. There could be a clause written in that if he retires b4 the end of the 3 years, part of the singing bonus is due back.


If you pay him $12 the first year how much will be base and how much is the signing bonus?

$4M base would mean a cap hit of $6.7M in 2012, $4.7M the following 2 years. A four year deal might be better.


What do you think Fletch could get on the open market?


About 4 years / $30M with about $15M guaranteed would be the high end, IMO.

Something like...

$10M signing bonus, $2M base in 2012, $3M base in 2013 both years guaranteed. $5.5M base plus $1M roster bonus in 2014 and $7M case plus $1M roster bonus in 2015.

Cap hits would $4.5M... $5.5M... $9M... and $10.5M

If he slows down after 2013 they can cut him and save $4M in cap space for 2014


I ask because I love the guy but I don't want to pay him the sky if he wants to stay but would only get a small mountain elsewhere. I think Ray Lewis' last deal was 3 years $22M.

Who do you think would pay Fletch $15M for the next 2 years with $10M up front?

I'd like to re-sign him for something like a $7M bonus with salaries of $1M and $2M for a total of $10. Would he just laugh and leave? Would he consider it a slap if we said "See what's out there and then we will treat you right?"
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13932
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 am

Hopefully this franchise pays the players based on what they're worth to THIS franchise NOT on what they could get elsewhere

Hopefully this franchise pays the players based on what they can do for this franchise NOT what other franchises pay their players




This franchise is trying to establish itself again and is close to losing the old mentality that we overpay OR that this is a place to come and "make a fortune" with no regard for what you can do when you get here

That STUFF is OVER - there's a new sherrif in town :lol:



I see this franchise becoming a place where the players AND their agents KNOW that we are NOT "the same OLD Redskins"
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:23 am

SkinsJock wrote:Hopefully this franchise pays the players based on what they're worth to THIS franchise NOT on what they could get elsewhere

Hopefully this franchise pays the players based on what they can do for this franchise NOT what other franchises pay their players




This franchise is trying to establish itself again and is close to losing the old mentality that we overpay OR that this is a place to come and "make a fortune" with no regard for what you can do when you get here

That STUFF is OVER - there's a new sherrif in town :lol:



I see this franchise becoming a place where the players AND their agents KNOW that we are NOT "the same OLD Redskins"


I agree with your sentiments but we should not negotiate and sign in a financial vacuum. If Fletch can only get $3M a year elsewhere we SHOULD NOT give him $10M a year ... should we???
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13932
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am

I understand your point and I agree - this is a business after all

however - Fletcher has earned the right to be treated a little better by this franchise and I think they will treat him accordingly

I would not say the same about a lot of others here - even players I like
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13932
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:34 am

I'll take it one more step

this franchise is going to be looking to add some free agents here soon
This FO wants to establish a reputation about how they treat players that work as hard as Fletcher does

we are becoming a good place to come and play - it helps that we have that rep now
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:21 am

Totally agree that the Redskins need to attach a premium of keeping their own. Not to mention, I hope like hell we keep him. But I'm in the business of negotiating contracts on a daily basis. I also look at market value vs sales price. I'm in Real estate. The #1 thing you tell a buyer is that you never overpay. Why - because there will be another house that will come along that you'll love just as much 9 times out of 10. In terms of Fletcher, like most NFL teams, they will allow him to go out there and find out what the general market is willing to pay for his services. That's a standard practice for most teams and their free agents. Look at New Orleans. Why didn't they put a deal together with Drew Brees yet who is easily one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL today. Would they really allow him to walk? Not a chance. But they will let the market determine his final price and contract term.

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13932
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:34 am

You maybe right frank .... but this is a business UNLIKE other businesses - what you think of as good business practices do NOT apply here

this is a very different game and we need to establish that this franchise is not the same old Redskins

there are things that you have to do a certain way - they will make Fletcher feel very wanted and appreciated
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13932
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: New England

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 am

If I was Drew Brees and they let me "test" the free agent market - I hope he goes to the highest bidder
that is a bad mistake

let him visit DC and his ass will be in gold pants with a burgandy top in September - gay-ron-teed :lol:


the Redskins FO is NOT letting a QB like Brees "test the market" - NO WAY
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm

SkinsJock wrote:If I was Drew Brees and they let me "test" the free agent market - I hope he goes to the highest bidder
that is a bad mistake

let him visit DC and his ass will be in gold pants with a burgandy top in September - gay-ron-teed :lol:


the Redskins FO is NOT letting a QB like Brees "test the market" - NO WAY


Now thats something I would like to see us do [-o<

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
I ask because I love the guy but I don't want to pay him the sky if he wants to stay but would only get a small mountain elsewhere. I think Ray Lewis' last deal was 3 years $22M.


I remember when that was reported, it was reported as a 3 yr/$22M deal but was more like a 7 yr/$45M deal

Lewis got a $6.25M signing bonus, a $2.75M roster bonus and a $1M base salary in 2009 (year 1), he was paid a $1.25M option bonus with a $4.25M base salary in 2010 (year 2), another $2M option bonus with a base salary of $5M in 2011 (year 3).

If it had been a three year deal Lewis would be a URFA this off-season, considering his three year deal was signed in 2009. But he's not because his contract show the following base salaries and years remaining: $4.95 million in 2012, $5.4 million in 2013, $5.85 million in 2014 and $6.3 million in 2015.

DarthMonk wrote:Who do you think would pay Fletch $15M for the next 2 years with $10M up front?


Top linebackers in the league are making upwards of $7M per year, Ray Lewis earned $9.3M when all was said and done back in 2010. It will cost any team $8.8M to franchise tag a linebacker this off-season.
I think a lot of teams would jump on a deal like that.

DarthMonk wrote:I'd like to re-sign him for something like a $7M bonus with salaries of $1M and $2M for a total of $10. Would he just laugh and leave? Would he consider it a slap if we said "See what's out there and then we will treat you right?"


I think he'll be looking for more than a three year deal, money won't be a issue when he talks to Bruce Allen. Four years $25M wouldn't surprise me either. They just need to get it don before he starts hear outside offers.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk
Posts: 4652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Thanks for the 1nik-sights!

1niksder wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
I ask because I love the guy but I don't want to pay him the sky if he wants to stay but would only get a small mountain elsewhere. I think Ray Lewis' last deal was 3 years $22M.


I remember when that was reported, it was reported as a 3 yr/$22M deal but was more like a 7 yr/$45M deal

Lewis got a $6.25M signing bonus, a $2.75M roster bonus and a $1M base salary in 2009 (year 1), he was paid a $1.25M option bonus with a $4.25M base salary in 2010 (year 2), another $2M option bonus with a base salary of $5M in 2011 (year 3).

If it had been a three year deal Lewis would be a URFA this off-season, considering his three year deal was signed in 2009. But he's not because his contract show the following base salaries and years remaining: $4.95 million in 2012, $5.4 million in 2013, $5.85 million in 2014 and $6.3 million in 2015.

DarthMonk wrote:Who do you think would pay Fletch $15M for the next 2 years with $10M up front?


Top linebackers in the league are making upwards of $7M per year, Ray Lewis earned $9.3M when all was said and done back in 2010. It will cost any team $8.8M to franchise tag a linebacker this off-season.
I think a lot of teams would jump on a deal like that.

DarthMonk wrote:I'd like to re-sign him for something like a $7M bonus with salaries of $1M and $2M for a total of $10. Would he just laugh and leave? Would he consider it a slap if we said "See what's out there and then we will treat you right?"


I think he'll be looking for more than a three year deal, money won't be a issue when he talks to Bruce Allen. Four years $25M wouldn't surprise me either. They just need to get it don before he starts hear outside offers.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to General Manager's Office