Carry-over cash, cap gives some NFL teams money to spend

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Carry-over cash, cap gives some NFL teams money to spend

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:58 am

Carry-over cash, cap space give some NFL teams money to spend

Every NFL team will have surplus money to use next season if they desire. But some will need that money just to help clear room under the cap to function next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, for instance, will only carry over $506,570 but are projected to be about $25 million over the cap.

The Jets will carry over $8.4 million but are projected to be more than $4 million over the cap. Add the $5 million needed to sign rookies and it appears the Jets will need to cut payroll.

The cap for 2012 has not been set, but it is projected to be between $121-125 million, with teams being able to borrow another $2 million from future caps.

The Patriots are projected to be more than $20 million under the cap next season and could carry over $6.7 million.

Among teams who could bid for Manning or Flynn, the Washington Redskins have $13.6 million in carryover cash and could be $30 million or so under the cap.

Seattle has a $112 million cap number and has a $21.2 million surplus from the past year, so expect the Seahawks to join the Redskins as big spenders this offseason.

Arizona ($7 million) and Cleveland ($9 million) also have carryover cash and some cap space as well.

Jacksonville can carry over $31.7 million and will be about $17 million under the cap; Tampa Bay has more than $25 million and will be more than $20 million under.

Among teams that have the projected cap space to make big moves in free agency: Cincinnati Bengals ($80.6 million), Tennessee Titans ($92.7 million) and Kansas City ($95.8 million).

Teams that will need to tighten their belts considerably next season include: Detroit Lions ($122.8 million), Carolina Panthers ($122.7 million), Oakland Raiders ($140.8 million) and New York Giants ($124.7 million).

Counting the 51 players currently under contract and the dead cap money, I have the Redskins $29,975,437 under the cap. I have $11.9M in carry over space available to show $41,875,437 under the Cap. The Redskins also have another $1.5M in Veterans Allowances in 2012. This report will add another $1.7M. In all the Redskins could be as much as $45M+ under the cap
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Re: Carry-over cash, cap gives some NFL teams money to spend

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 pm

1niksder wrote:Carry-over cash, cap space give some NFL teams money to spend

Every NFL team will have surplus money to use next season if they desire. But some will need that money just to help clear room under the cap to function next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, for instance, will only carry over $506,570 but are projected to be about $25 million over the cap.

The Jets will carry over $8.4 million but are projected to be more than $4 million over the cap. Add the $5 million needed to sign rookies and it appears the Jets will need to cut payroll.

The cap for 2012 has not been set, but it is projected to be between $121-125 million, with teams being able to borrow another $2 million from future caps.

The Patriots are projected to be more than $20 million under the cap next season and could carry over $6.7 million.

Among teams who could bid for Manning or Flynn, the Washington Redskins have $13.6 million in carryover cash and could be $30 million or so under the cap.

Seattle has a $112 million cap number and has a $21.2 million surplus from the past year, so expect the Seahawks to join the Redskins as big spenders this offseason.

Arizona ($7 million) and Cleveland ($9 million) also have carryover cash and some cap space as well.

Jacksonville can carry over $31.7 million and will be about $17 million under the cap; Tampa Bay has more than $25 million and will be more than $20 million under.

Among teams that have the projected cap space to make big moves in free agency: Cincinnati Bengals ($80.6 million), Tennessee Titans ($92.7 million) and Kansas City ($95.8 million).

Teams that will need to tighten their belts considerably next season include: Detroit Lions ($122.8 million), Carolina Panthers ($122.7 million), Oakland Raiders ($140.8 million) and New York Giants ($124.7 million).

Counting the 51 players currently under contract and the dead cap money, I have the Redskins $29,975,437 under the cap. I have $11.9M in carry over space available to show $41,875,437 under the Cap. The Redskins also have another $1.5M in Veterans Allowances in 2012. This report will add another $1.7M. In all the Redskins could be as much as $45M+ under the cap

:up:

Thank goodness we haven't done all this so Vinnie can shoot his wad ... like last time.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:04 pm

In other words, we've basically — and finally — cleaned house. It's a nice feeling.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:51 pm

:shock: WoW, that is freak'n awesome!
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Hog

Postby Paralis » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

What this really says is two things: one is that the Skins did well to get out from underneath so many big contracts during the uncapped year which has put them in a solid position going forward.

The other is that with Fletcher unsigned, the Skins basically don't have a single pro-bowl level player who's not on a rookie deal. It's harder to keep a team together than build one from scratch, and the current FO hasn't had to make any tough choices yet.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:14 am

Paralis wrote:What this really says is two things: one is that the Skins did well to get out from underneath so many big contracts during the uncapped year which has put them in a solid position going forward.

The other is that with Fletcher unsigned, the Skins basically don't have a single pro-bowl level player who's not on a rookie deal. It's harder to keep a team together than build one from scratch, and the current FO hasn't had to make any tough choices yet.

No tough choices...

What does Fletcher being unsigned have to do with how many pro-bowl level players not on rookie deals?

They have 51 players under contract and about 20 of them are on their rookie deals. They only have four players from the previous FO that are still on their rookie deals, so they had very little to work with (even less than what he thought). There's only eleven players left from the Vinny C. days and they'll have the ammo they need to continue the process of placing a NFL caliber team at Redskins Park.

They have 14 Free Agents that they brought in, 16 players they selected in the draft, 3 guys they traded for and 3 guys the found on the streets. That's 36 players they've brought in, without a normal off season until now. They used the uncapped year to get into the position that they're in but it took tough choices to get there.

If it was so easy to do because of the uncapped year, why are teams like the Rams, Steelers, Panthers, both NY teams, and ttiT all technically all over the cap it the new league year started today? There are another eleven teams with less than $10M in space not including carry over money, and a total of 21 teams with less cap room today than the cap space the Redskins have to carry over. You can't get to where this team is , coming from where they were without some tough choices.

They've made many tough choices... not all good choices but tough.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:49 am

Amazing. I appreciate the thread Redskin1. Good stuff and good to know.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:53 am

Irn-Bru wrote:In other words, we've basically — and finally — cleaned house. It's a nice feeling.

Glad you think 5-11 is a "nice feeling". I'm not sure how many other people would agree with you, but since I seem to be totally out of tune with this fanbase, maybe more of them are than I would imagine.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 am

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:In other words, we've basically — and finally — cleaned house. It's a nice feeling.

Glad you think 5-11 is a "nice feeling". I'm not sure how many other people would agree with you, but since I seem to be totally out of tune with this fanbase, maybe more of them are than I would imagine.

1. He never said that 5-11 was a good feeling.

2. It helps to not have a narrow-minded point of view.

3. Also, if one is able to comprehend the organization in it's entirety and not just the 53-man roster, you can feel good about this and what it means for the future.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for posting this. Can anybody explain what this "carry over cash" thing means? Is it something new in the CBA? I didn't really understand when I read it today.

Thanks!

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:1. He never said that 5-11 was a good feeling.

He's suggesting that he's happy with the direction of a franchise that just completed its 2oth consecutive losing season. A team that hasn't even had a hint of a winning campaign in that time. Sorry, but that's lunacy so far as I'm concerned.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:2. It helps to not have a narrow-minded point of view.

Then I'm never going to get it, because the only thing an open mind gets is accidentally left behind the next time the head moves, so far as I'm concerned.

Chris Luva Luva wrote:3. Also, if one is able to comprehend the organization in it's entirety and not just the 53-man roster, you can feel good about this and what it means for the future.

What it means, so far as I can tell, is that this team is moving towards the same 53-Nobodies, Mayo-on-white-bread, milque toast, play not to lose organizational philosophy that makes me sick to my stomach every time the New England Patriots are mentioned within earshot of my location.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:Then I'm never going to get it

We already knew this, it's good to see that you now realize it.

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We already knew this, it's good to see that you now realize it.

What I think is more comical is those of you who have thrown away every bit of self-esteem you may have once had to buy into this gutless, disgusting new way of doing things that the NFL has brought about in the last 17 years and which the Redskins organization is just now coming around to.

Sooner rather than later you folks are going to be just like the Patriots fans I'm surrounded with on a daily basis.... incapable of actually finding any Greatness in your team, while desparately searching for some.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:41 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:We already knew this, it's good to see that you now realize it.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bzzzzzz. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bzzzz

Buzz Buzz.

Why is there never a a can of Raid or a fly swatter around when you need one?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Redskins_Fanatic wrote:He's suggesting that he's happy with the direction of a franchise that just completed its 2oth consecutive losing season. A team that hasn't even had a hint of a winning campaign in that time.

Two statements you know to be false. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football