Philip Daniels - New Director of Player Development

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Philip Daniels - New Director of Player Development

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Such a good dude.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... ll-insider

The Washington Redskins on Friday announced the hiring of former defensive end Phillip Daniels as director of player development.

Daniels played in the NFL 15 seasons, including his final six with the Redskins. The team cut the then-38-year old Daniels prior to the start of the 2011 training camp, but Coach Mike Shanahan offered the veteran a spot on his coaching staff. Daniels declined at the time, hoping to catch on with another team, but never did.

“We welcome Phillip back to the Redskins family,” Redskins general manager Bruce Allen said in a press release. “His 15 years of NFL experience will be a great asset for our football team.”

Said Daniels, “I’m really looking forward to helping our players and team win, on and off the field.”

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

All I can say is... :up:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Great move. Daniels is a real professional and class act.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:59 pm

=D>
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:36 am

=D> good move.
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:52 am

I hope his primary focus will be to turn Jarvis Jenkins into the monster everyone thinks he can be. If we can get Carriker back our front 7 will be scary this year.

I like this move, Daniels is a high character guy, who isnt so far removed from the game that he can still relate to younger athletes. Also, with strong ties to the community, it'll help establish that connection between the fan base and younger players coming in. I think this is important because it helps a guy play for more than personal pride.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Said Daniels, “I’m really looking forward to helping our players and team win, on and off the field.”

In other words....

Redskins fans don't have to worry about Davis and Williams burning down anymore!
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Awesome. Good timing, too. I like seeing the organization retain quality people.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:37 pm

1niksder wrote:Said Daniels, “I’m really looking forward to helping our players and team win, on and off the field.”

In other words....

Redskins fans don't have to worry about Davis and Williams burning down anymore!

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:03 pm

These are the best when players I liked come back as coaches.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:28 pm

1niksder wrote:Said Daniels, “I’m really looking forward to helping our players and team win, on and off the field.”

In other words....

I think this is the real point of this move... Phil will be doing some prime motivatin'. I'm sure he will also have a project turning Jarvis into a monster, as well.

His office will probably be the weight room... "come talk to me, young fella... we'll figure it out while we push some iron..."

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:13 am

When I heard they were giving Phillip Daniels a job in the front office I had no idea it was as high profile a job as director of player development. Usually retired players get jobs as a special assistant to the GM, or as an advance scout or something mundane. Good for him.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:09 am

i heard him with grant paulsen and he hinted at possibly coaching up the d-line along with his duties as DPD. good move. Almost like signing a veteran except this one doesn't have to play and isn't getting overpaid!
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:16 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:When I heard they were giving Phillip Daniels a job in the front office I had no idea it was as high profile a job as director of player development. Usually retired players get jobs as a special assistant to the GM, or as an advance scout or something mundane. Good for him.

Yea, a little surprising that he got a job like this with no coaching or front office experience. Especially considering they only offered him a coaching job before the season started.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:29 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:When I heard they were giving Phillip Daniels a job in the front office I had no idea it was as high profile a job as director of player development. Usually retired players get jobs as a special assistant to the GM, or as an advance scout or something mundane. Good for him.

Yea, a little surprising that he got a job like this with no coaching or front office experience. Especially considering they only offered him a coaching job before the season started.
I suspect that he has been doing this, in addition to playing... for a couple of years... He has always been a selfless man who does what he can to help others improve.

Now, he gets to dedicate all his time to helping players improve. Win for him, win for the players, win for the team... win for us.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football