Leverage

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

You know, there are already threads in Smack where this back and forth really belongs . . . I recommend the whole non-football side of this thing gets taken there.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:You know, there are already threads in Smack where this back and forth really belongs . . . I recommend the whole non-football side of this thing gets taken there.

Tell your fellow Staff Member to keep it there. He keeps PMing, creating new threads, and flaming others with this banter. I'm sure that's not something that THN endorses.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:You know, there are already threads in Smack where this back and forth really belongs . . . I recommend the whole non-football side of this thing gets taken there.

Tell your fellow Staff Member to keep it there. He keeps PMing, creating new threads, and flaming others with this banter. I'm sure that's not something that THN endorses.
Still got some growing to do I see
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 pm

The Hogster wrote:

Tell your fellow Staff Member to keep it there.

Who did you think I was telling with that post? Or do you often have solo back and forths on message boards?

I'm really not interested in whatever beef you guys have with each other. My only interest is that it's corralled in the right place.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:05 pm

The Hogster wrote:he sure wasn't going to get 5 years $96M from the Colts.

And he sure isn't going to get it from the Broncos either. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 am

Deadskins wrote:
The Hogster wrote:he sure wasn't going to get 5 years $96M from the Colts.

And he sure isn't going to get it from the Broncos either. :roll:

Way to defend wrongness. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that you agreed with him then--right after you got all emotional in Smack and created the moniker "Squealster." It's there in black and white, and you guys would be surprised who reads this and tells the truth on what it says. Continue destroying your reputation. It's funny. ROTFALMAO

So, let's see how ignorant your post is. You think Peyton would have gotten the rest of his deal with Indy?? With Andrew Luck on the team? :shock: Just stop. Again, you're not even as sharp as 1niksder. He's covering up his argument because it obviously sucked. You should at least do the same.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:46 am

The Hogster wrote:You think Peyton would have gotten the rest of his deal with Indy??

No, and if you could read, you would have gotten that my point is that he won't get the rest of this deal with the Broncos either.

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Deadskins wrote:
The Hogster wrote:You think Peyton would have gotten the rest of his deal with Indy??

No, and if you could read, you would have gotten that my point is that he won't get the rest of this deal with the Broncos either.

That remains to be seen. But, in the meantime, he's on a team that can compete for a title, and which doesn't have a blue chip "once in a generation" prospect at QB. In fact, his chances of sticking around for 5 years is greater on the team that has no other option.
So, the underlying point remains clear. It made no sense for Peyton to try to restructure his deal to stay in Indy.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

That remains to be seen. But, in the meantime, he's on a team that can compete for a title, and which doesn't have a blue chip "once in a generation" prospect at QB. In fact, his chances of sticking around for 5 years is greater on the team that has no other option.
So, the underlying point remains clear. It made no sense for Peyton to try to restructure his deal to stay in Indy.

I don't agree that you can derive that conclusion from those points, especially if you are basing that conclusion on dollars alone.

Note: When I say "you" in the sentence above, I don't mean you in particular, Hogster.
Last edited by Deadskins on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

The Hogster wrote:That remains to be seen. But, in the meantime, he's on a team that can compete for a title, and which doesn't have a blue chip "once in a generation" prospect at QB

Ouch, so you're changing your story now that it wasn't about money? No one ever said he wouldn't leave for non-financial reasons. First blood drawn...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:so you're changing your story now that it wasn't about money?

Yeah, this whole discussion originated over whether or not he could get more money by restructuring or going the FA route. At least, that was my understanding, and I think what most of us were arguing.

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:58 pm

The Hogster wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

He's on a team that gave him $18M in base salary in 2012, then guaranteed it. That's all he got, no workout bonuses, no signing bonus, no nothing to force the Broncos to hold on to him after this year.

The Broncos will have him come in on March 13th (why does that day sound familiar?) next year and have their doctors take a look at his neck.

That's what he got.. one year, $18M and we'll talk next year. If it works out, he'll get a $2M raise and a new date with the doctors in 2014.

At the same time the Broncos can decide a year's wear and tear on Manning's neck in 2012 is not worth risking $20M guaranteed (again ALL salary) in 2013 and Manning's back on the market.

Why would Manning sign such a deal with a team that had it's QB go worldwide simply because he was running for his life?

Where was the bidding war? He had a whole three teams to choose from, He had the Broncos, Cards, and Dolphins... That's a team in the desert, a team up in the thin air and a team with a owner worst than "the Danny" (Before Bruce and Mike came along "the Danny" would buy anybody, but nobody wants Ross' money).

After Ross made him look like O.J.II they were out and that left two until the Titans came calling... not with money but future ownership for the "Manning" brand, that would take league approval, and the market was getting ready to open. He had a week head start yet the Bears, ttiT, and the Jags all signed QBs when the market had been open less than 24 hrs. None of those teams called Peyton.

Cards dropped out when his home state jumped in and rumors that he worked out for the Niners started to float around. Still only three team (Broncos, 49ers, and Titans) The Titans wasn't really a option and neither were the Seahawks after Matt Flynn visited.

The only QBs to get one year deals were QBs like Jason Campbell and Rex Grossman Back ups take one year deals.... So why did the man with all the leverage take a deal structured in a way the team he signed with can do the same thing the Colts did except now he has zero options? Could it be because his replacement Dan Orlovsky found a new job before him? Or maybe the market just wasn't what you made it out to be.

Manning can't say what he'll make next year, he can say what he'll make if....

That's a one year deal for a man that had all the leverage, that's the best he could do. If he goes out and performs he'll gain leverage if not the test results will say what the Colts want them to say.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:so you're changing your story now that it wasn't about money?

Yeah, this whole discussion originated over whether or not he could get more money by restructuring or going the FA route. At least, that was my understanding, and I think what most of us were arguing.

Actually I just wanted the reports that he was coming to Washington to stop. :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:That remains to be seen. But, in the meantime, he's on a team that can compete for a title, and which doesn't have a blue chip "once in a generation" prospect at QB

Ouch, so you're changing your story now that it wasn't about money? No one ever said he wouldn't leave for non-financial reasons. First blood drawn...

Sooooo

You're saying you didn't see that coming. :hmm:

FTR: Hogster said early on it wasn't about money based on what Peyton had made for Irsay and the Colts, however he ties that in to what is being said now.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, that's exactly what this thread shows. That's exactly why it's called "Leverage" Leverage for how we could get the rumors of him coming to Washington to stop. Oh, got it now.
ROTFALMAO
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Around the League