Montgomery signs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44

Montgomery signs

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:52 pm

Good signing. Great depth with experience at multiple positions
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... t&id=36554
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:39 am

i think this is solid....one less hole
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

DarthMonk

Re: Montgomery signs

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:17 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Good signing. Great depth with experience at multiple positions
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... t&id=36554

This man is a solid Redskin.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 am

Yep good to get that out of the way. Hopefully this is just the start of some moves to improve the o-line.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:46 am

Interesting that it was the day after the lineman worked out at the combine. Maybe the coaches had their eye on a guy or two and just didn't feel there was an upgrade there if he was drafted.l

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Interesting that it was the day after the lineman worked out at the combine. Maybe the coaches had their eye on a guy or two and just didn't feel there was an upgrade there if he was drafted.l

It's more likely that Montys agents were there for other clients and its the one time that both Redskins officials and player agents are all in the same place at the same time, might as well sort out some business of an evening.

They'l be a cluster of player re-signings these next few days I reckon all over the NFL.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:23 pm

I don't think that'll happen at all. What usually happens is once Free Agency opens, players are able to go out and determine what their market value is. Once they've determined it, the agent comes back to the team to negotiate a deal.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:54 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I don't think that'll happen at all. What usually happens is once Free Agency opens, players are able to go out and determine what their market value is. Once they've determined it, the agent comes back to the team to negotiate a deal.

Most teams want to re-sign their soon to be free agents that they would like to keep, BEFORE the market opens. I can see Gano, Lichtensteiger, Westbrook and Fletcher not hitting the market.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Only because they feel they're going to get a discount. Look at what we did with Ryan Clark. We made an offer. He went out on the market and found someone who was willing to make more. Brought the offer back to DC ($500k higher for term of contract) and DC wouldn't match. Been killing us ever since.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:33 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Only because they feel they're going to get a discount. Look at what we did with Ryan Clark. We made an offer. He went out on the market and found someone who was willing to make more. Brought the offer back to DC ($500k higher for term of contract) and DC wouldn't match. Been killing us ever since.

That was a unique situation...

You had a millionaire fantasy owner with a "little general" complex that had almost total control of the team, the power he gave away was to a guy whose biggest success was a failed acting role and a B reel movie.

Whole new world now...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm

you can't tell me that Carlos Rogers was going to play differently than what we saw - HE WAS NOT WORTH WHAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS WORTH

when a player like Clarke comes back and says I can get more and the Redskins don't resign him - it's most likely that in their estimation, the player is not worth it

you can't just keep every player who gets a better offer ESPECIALLY if he has not shown that he's worth more to your franchise
some of these players need to change to be a better fit with players around them on other teams

I hope these guys ONLY keep players that want to try harder NOT players that think they should get paid more

I could care less who stays as long as they're willing to give it all they've got
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I would prefer we negotiate guys before they become FA's if we want them to stick around.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 pm

I don't understand what you are saying about Carlos Rogers. Are you saying he played a lot better in San Fran than he did here, and we would have had no reason to expect that? If so, I disagree vehemently. Apart from interceptions (the most overrated stat for corners) Rogers showed signs of being an elite player.

At the time a convincing argument could have been made that Josh Wilson was a downgrade. Now, we'll probably be fine with Hall and Wilson, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against a player for wanting more money elsewhere.

In the NFL money=respect. If a team offers you a lot less money, or a shorter contract they are basically saying that you're not worth it. This ties in to what I think your point is... but teams can be wrong, and the Redskins certainly were.

Carlos Rogers was worth a LOT more than the Redskins thought. Live and learn.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 pm

I think the problem with Rogers was that he wanted out. Whether he felt undervalued or just thought we were going nowhere, he just wanted to go.

My remark before was to do with those players that just want to re-sign and get on with things, they want to re-sign and the team wants them to re-sign (Rocca, Fletcher, etc)

I guess there's a lot less of them nowadays with the money in the sport now. I
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

I don't think he just wanted to go, and that was that. He wanted to go because the team didn't make signing him a priority.

Imagine you worked on a series of contracts rather than as a salaried, at will employee. If your contract was running out and your company didn't make retaining you a high priority... and other companies were competing for your services...

See where I'm going here?

Rogers wanted out because we didn't make him feel wanted.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football