Hankerson surgery

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**ch44

Hankerson surgery

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Not good, although he says he'll be ready for camp

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/642 ... -hankerson
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:47 am

why wait to have surgery? Get it done right away so you're not lagging for training camp.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 am

tribeofjudah wrote:why wait to have surgery? Get it done right away so you're not lagging for training camp.

Yeah, wuddup wit dat? Be interesting to see if more details surface. He got injured 4 months ago.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:17 am

Yeah I was surprised about this also. I thought that was a pretty serious injury he picked up when it happened. I didn't know surgery was even optional!!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:48 am

It's always better to try to let your body heal naturally without having surgery. I'm sure this was a game plan set up by the player & medical staff. Anytime you have surgery, your ability to recover is limited. Trust me - I've had 5 ACL's on my left knee.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:27 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:why wait to have surgery? Get it done right away so you're not lagging for training camp.

Yeah, wuddup wit dat? Be interesting to see if more details surface. He got injured 4 months ago.

DarthMonk

Washington Redskins receiver Leonard Hankerson on Tuesday had surgery to repair his ailing right hip, he announced on his Twitter account Saturday. He expects to be ready for the start of training camp.

Hankerson tore the labrum in his right hip on Nov. 13 when he was tackled by a Miami Dolphins defender. He had hoped surgery would not be required.

After Hankerson announced the surgery on Twitter, someone asked him if his hip wasn’t improving.

“felt like it was, but jus wanted to be safe n b ready,”
he replied.

Hankerson confirmed via text message Saturday afternoon that the surgery was to repair his hip.

He is expected to be a prominent member of the offense next season, perhaps even the Redskins‘ starting flanker receiver. He caught 13 passes for 163 yards in four games as a rookie last season.

“I’ll be ready to go, jus gota keep working hard with Rehab everyday,” Hankerson tweeted.

They must have taken the same course of action that Frank suggested...
He tried to let it heal on its own, but having the surgery now gives him time to be straight by camp, versus showing up in camp like LL.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:30 pm

frankcal20 wrote:It's always better to try to let your body heal naturally without having surgery. I'm sure this was a game plan set up by the player & medical staff. Anytime you have surgery, your ability to recover is limited. Trust me - I've had 5 ACL's on my left knee.

No doubt. I was just surprised because of the nature of the injury. Just figured it was something that would require surgery without question. Anyway, I hope its one of those things that he can bounce back from quickly.

Hog

Postby everydayAskinsday » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:47 pm

I do not understand the no surgery approach.. granted I am by NO means a doctor and I have no medical background but it seems to be a trend with our players that I frankly just do not understand..

Laron Landry refuses surgery and we have seen where that has gotten him the past 2 seasons and I dont have my hopes up for him making it through this season whether its with us or another team..

IMO we have what might be the worst training & medical staff in the league.. Injuries are a problem for every team and I FULLY understand that but we continue to deal with the same types of injuries year after year and are constantly one of the most injury riddled teams in the league.. I mean how many times do we here about MULTIPLE players dealing with Hamstrings each year..

Again I know some of it is completely out of there hands but at some point you gotta alter what your doing somewhere along the line to break the trends.. My 2 cents

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm starting to wonder about our training staff. Landry famously tweeted that they were a bunch of "clowns." Malcolm Kelly expressed displeasure with them also. (Kelly makes me want to puke tho) and now Hankerson. According to the Post, he's spent the entire offseason with the trainers but they didn't evaluate the injury right and now, he's having surgery?

Odd
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I know first hand that the "surgery" word is scary. I broke my wrist and surgery was recommended. I wanted to try healing without it. The doc put me in a cast and re-evaluated a week later. He said my arm would not set as well and would be a little crooked without surgery. He also said if I ever got arthritis the onset would likely be sooner without the surgery. Lastly, he said surgery would mean no cast. I went under the knife and was playing guitar 2 days later!! No cast. No tendonitis in elbow after 6 weeks of a cast. Win-win-win.

Yeah, sounds like lame training staff combined with fear to me.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:05 pm

everydayAskinsday wrote:I do not understand the no surgery approach.. granted I am by NO means a doctor and I have no medical background but it seems to be a trend with our players that I frankly just do not understand..

Laron Landry refuses surgery and we have seen where that has gotten him the past 2 seasons and I dont have my hopes up for him making it through this season whether its with us or another team..

IMO we have what might be the worst training & medical staff in the league..
Injuries are a problem for every team and I FULLY understand that but we continue to deal with the same types of injuries year after year and are constantly one of the most injury riddled teams in the league.. I mean how many times do we here about MULTIPLE players dealing with Hamstrings each year..

Again I know some of it is completely out of there hands but at some point you gotta alter what your doing somewhere along the line to break the trends.. My 2 cents

I'll take ours over San Diego but I also think that we could use an upgrade in my opinion. Just seems we always have hamstring issues with the WR's and some other issues that seem to be lingering. Still pissed about Kelly and how that was all handled.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/jul ... e-request/

Hog

Postby jmooney » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm

I've been hearing about this staff and the facilities for a while now, from different players too. With all the money Snider likes to throw around, why hasnt this been handled?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:54 am

frankcal20 wrote:It's always better to try to let your body heal naturally without having surgery... Trust me - I've had 5 ACL's on my left knee.

Doesn't that prove your theory sucks? :D

Strange that they left this. Sure it's better to let it heal a little, but not so long that a rookie who got no offseason due to the lockout, will now also now have no OTAs in year 2.

Let it heal a bit fine - but make the surgery decision a month-6 weeks ago so that he could be rehabbed in time for OTAs, not training camp.

Obviously the healing wasn't going as well as expected and they had to make this move - but it would have been nice to see it NOT impact Hankerson's development.

Now it does.

Fortunately, he looks like a real keeper and in the broadest of schemes, this is just a minor setback.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 am

jmooney wrote:I've been hearing about this staff and the facilities for a while now, from different players too. With all the money Snider likes to throw around, why hasnt this been handled?

Don't underestimate the addition of Phillip Daniels as Director of Pro Development in helping in this area. Some of these 'medical issues' are actually things that have been left 'optional' for Redskins in the past, and therefore, not looked after by team expenses. Some of that has lead to ridiculous shortcomings... like a CB who just needed contact lenses to catch balls a la Carlos Rogers.

Big Phil is going to liaison a lot of minor issues in my opinion, and things like improving facilities and what the players CAN GET OUT OF THE FACILITIES could be a big part of what makes Daniels' addition so important.

Bit of a side note to what you're talking about - but something I feel will impact it.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:01 am

^^^ what he said

AND ....... just MAYBE - P Daniels might already be making his presence felt :wink:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football