Dirty Thirty Gone?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:If Landry leaves and plays somewhere else he will p play exactly like he did with us! Some great games (but not as many as you people seem to think he had here), some average games (most of his games) and some bad games.

He will also miss games unless he gets his achilles repaired! This is why the Skins don't want him back. They were going to attempt to re-sign him but once he refused the surgery that is needed to fix his bad leg, they washed their hands of him!

Landry is a special player that played like a special player at times, but most of his games have been meh!

+1

Yep. He has a physical presence when healthy, but it's not like losing Sean Taylor if he goes to free agency. Any team who takes him is taking a risk that he will be healthy for an entire year much less recover from that aching Achilles he has.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:02 pm

I hope he stays. I have a feeling that he will be a player similar to Rodgers that once he leaves will catch on. We should not sign him to a huge deal, but enough to keep him here so we can see how he recovers.

Simple solution is to sign him to a back-end contract which pays low up front. If he performs, honor the contract. If he doesn't -- cut him.

I don't want us to see him go. He is a quality player at a position that has a significant impact on defense.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:09 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:If Landry leaves and plays somewhere else he will p play exactly like he did with us! Some great games (but not as many as you people seem to think he had here), some average games (most of his games) and some bad games.

He will also miss games unless he gets his achilles repaired! This is why the Skins don't want him back. They were going to attempt to re-sign him but once he refused the surgery that is needed to fix his bad leg, they washed their hands of him!

Landry is a special player that played like a special player at times, but most of his games have been meh!

How can we say that the guy is "meh" when this franchise played him out of position. He was NEVER a FS and we kept him there for years. Then some genius gets paid millions to say, "hey...let's put our SS back at SS and I bet he'll play great".

He and the entire seconday is absolved of ANY wrong doing IMHO because THIS FRANCHISE refused to obtain a pass-rush for YEARS.

THIS FRANCHISE better than most has put most of it's players in a position to FAIL! And these guys are so good that even in the midst of UNPARALLELED FOOLISHNESS, they still found a way to shine from time to time.

I don't think we can use his spotty performance solely on him, not by a long shot.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:

How can we say that the guy is "meh" when this franchise played him out of position. He was NEVER a FS and we kept him there for years. Then some genius gets paid millions to say, "hey...let's put our SS back at SS and I bet he'll play great".

He and the entire seconday is absolved of ANY wrong doing IMHO because THIS FRANCHISE refused to obtain a pass-rush for YEARS.

THIS FRANCHISE better than most has put most of it's players in a position to FAIL! And these guys are so good that even in the midst of UNPARALLELED FOOLISHNESS, they still found a way to shine from time to time.

I don't think we can use his spotty performance solely on him, not by a long shot.

That's some revisionist history, CLL.

First of all, Landry played free safety at LSU, where he was an All-American. He is fully capable of playing either safety spot.

Second, he initially started at strong safety, but moved to free safety when ST passed away. That's not on the coaches. Landry runs a 4.4 40 and has plenty of speed to play free safety. His issues in pass coverage and his lack of discipline are of his own making.

Third, Blache and Williams both talked about how they don't Wally have a free and strong safety. That's common now in the NFL. With his talent Landry should be able to play both in the box and in coverage.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:58 pm

that's all well and good Canes ...

fact is this defense with all it's parts working AND with a healthy Landry will be stronger with Landry at SS than anyone else that is available right now

why let the guy go right now - why not spend a little time and see what we're looking at

is there a SS that you think can help us if Landry is not fit to play

If Landry is not able to play then he probably is not going to get on another team - why not keep him if he's able to play

why do some here just want to let guys go all the time

Landry has indicated he'd like to stay - let's try that first
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm

^ =D>

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:06 pm

SkinsJock wrote:that's all well and good Canes ...

fact is this defense with all it's parts working AND with a healthy Landry will be stronger with Landry at SS than anyone else that is available right now

why let the guy go right now - why not spend a little time and see what we're looking at

If Landry is not able to play then he probably is not going to get on another team - why not keep him if he's able to play

Arguing against yourself and putting words in other people's mouths, as usual. Honestly, are you capable of reading a post, understanding it, and responding to it without miss-characterizing what someone else posted? It certainly appears that you aren't.

Please show me where in my post I said that we should let Landry go. If you actually READ what I posted, I was disagreeing with CLL's argument that Landry has been played out of position and that the franchise is to blame for his struggles. My post in no way commented on whether or not we should let him go, rather it was addressing the issue of his struggles, at times, and failure, in the views of some, to live up to his potential.

Suck and Luck

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:that's all well and good Canes ...

Landry has an achilles tendon that requires surgery to heal properly. By refusing to get the operation that the team wanted him to get, that his doctors told him he should get, he is basically telling the team he doesn't want to be here!

I hope he has a great career, but HE has made the choice to leave. The team isn't letting him go, they wanted to keep him, but only of he was going to be healthy. He chose not to have the surgery that he knew the team wanted him to have.

He is a great player some of the time when healthy. He may or may not be healthy next year, but it won't be with this team.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 pm

ROTFALMAO thanks Canes - I needed a bit of a laugh - touchy, touchy

there's really no point in trying to help clear things up - you'd most likely take it wrong, as usual :lol:

good luck, cheers :wink:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm

sign him or find a replacement

as long as we aren't stuck with doughty starting again.....
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 am

Is it time for a Fire Sale...? Gotta dump my LL30 jerseys...???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 am

I respect what Chris is saying about the need to take care of our players, especially the guys who have killed themselves physically for the team. I don't really see that as a Redskins Org problem though. That's a LEAGUE issue. The rules of the salary cap and roster size just make it hard to take care of players in LL's situation. Players all around the league get used up and discarded when they can't stay healthy.

Also, I don't see Landry's refusal to get more surgery as any kind of message that he doesn't want to be here. Surgery comes with risks, and you can't blame him for wanting to avoid it if possible.

All that said, I don't see how the Redskins can spend the type of money on him that I'm sure he is looking for. They've been around him through his current injury, and the team doctors have looked at him and recommended surgery. I would think they have a pretty good idea where he is physically. If he was anywhere near 100% there wouldn't be any question about re-signing him.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:05 am

Wherever LL goes he will need to pass a physical. So, I am expecting that this Achilles injury is something that he really believes will heal.

Even if he wants to leave, he'd have to prove he can play--which he seems confident he can do.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:30 pm

The Hogster wrote:Wherever LL goes he will need to pass a physical. So, I am expecting that this Achilles injury is something that he really believes will heal.

Even if he wants to leave, he'd have to prove he can play--which he seems confident he can do.

Healing enough to pass a physical and healing properly so he can play effectively are two different things!

It was reported that the team was ticked off when Landry optted out of surgery and when he decide not to get it the team moved on! They have no confidence he will heal properly w/o the operation.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:31 pm

The Hogster wrote:Wherever LL goes he will need to pass a physical. So, I am expecting that this Achilles injury is something that he really believes will heal.

I'll just point out that he was confident that he was ready to play last season, as well...

just sayin...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football