Redskins strike a deal with rams

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Cosell expects RG3 to be “excellent fit” for Redskins offense

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell is a frequent guest on PFT Live. He might watch more game tape than any human on the planet. Cosell is a trusted voice on player personnel evaluation, and he’s signed off on the Redskins’ trade up for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. Cosell wrote on Twitter Saturday that Griffin will be an “excellent fit” in Redskins coach Mike Shanahan’s offense, which historically features an athletic quarterback capable of making throws on the run. Cosell explained that Shanahan’s “play-action and boot-action pass game” sets up “downfield shot plays.”

Griffin’s primary strengths are his athleticism and vertical passing accuracy. He can run and has a big arm, and those traits will go to use in Washington’s system.

By any measure, the Redskins surrendered more draft-pick compensation than the No. 2 overall selection is theoretically worth. But the foundation of the trade was not just quarterback acquisition. The Redskins acquired a quarterback that quintessentially fits what they want to do.

When Shanahan thinks a QB fits his O, he goes after him. True, McNabb failed here, but there was no question that McNabb's skill set fit Shanny's O. Look at all the 50 yard pass completions, he had early in the season. He made Armstrong into what looked like a promising deep threat.
I take it that RGIII will not lack the work ethic, wil work on his footwork and will wear the wrist band, if need be. :lol:

Next up for the O, WR and OL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-offense/

Thanks, Red. :up:

Long time no read.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Manchester_Redskin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Three things ..

1. If the Griffin hype continues to build, who is to say that the Colts dont draft him instead and we get Luck. At one stage Luck was a shoe-in for the Heisman and we all know how that ended. Either way we are getting a projected franchise QB, something we havnt had in the 30 years I have been supporting them.

2. If we make the playoffs and beyond these next couple of years then those first rounders will be picks in the 20's , we win a superbowl and the first round is effectively no better than the 1st pick of round 2

3. We are mostly giving up 2 first round picks ..... Suppose we had the chance to make a similar deal two years ago. Our first rounds picks since then have been a guy who'd rather do dope then play football ... and a trade down, measure that against a franchise QB and its a no-contest.

We have done the right thing.

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:53 pm

^^^ A+

Though it would be a surprise, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Colts could take RG3, leaving Luck to the Redskins. They've made no statement about who they will select, so until they do, it's all up to what direction they are planning to go offensively.

They're in full rebuild mode, and RG3's edge in mobility as a scrambler might appeal to certain offensive strategies. Either way, the Redskins can't lose, as both guys have great potential to be top tier talents ... and I expect both to be extremely successful, and if the Colts maintain their secrecy, draft day will be like a fortune cookie.

Neither guy is a consolation prize ... and I'd be equally excited to have either one throwing the football for the Skins.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:01 pm

While Luck would thrive in Shanahan's offense, Griffin brings some intangibles, due to his incredible athleticism, but clear preferrence to pass the ball. He would bring a new dimension. But, Ray is right. Neither is a "consolation" prize. I'd be equally thrilled with Luck.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm all in on Griffin. But, if Luck "Fell" to us, I mean c'mon. Whose going to complain?
SPIT HAPPENS!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:09 pm

RayNAustin wrote:Though it would be a surprise, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Colts could take RG3, leaving Luck to the Redskins. They've made no statement about who they will select

I read a report somewhere that Irsay want's Luck, and won't be dissuaded no matter how well RGIII showed at the combine or at his pro day.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Deadskins wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:Though it would be a surprise, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Colts could take RG3, leaving Luck to the Redskins. They've made no statement about who they will select

I read a report somewhere that Irsay want's Luck, and won't be dissuaded no matter how well RGIII showed at the combine or at his pro day.

I think that Luck has to be considered as the clear favorite to go to the Colts. After all, Irsay likes him enough to release the man who is probably the best quarterback in NFL history. You don't do that for just any football player. They have no reason to play games with it, unless it's to get a contract done before the draft. I don't see that, because he's already let the cat out of the bag... he's in love with Luck.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:29 am

RayNAustin wrote:^^^ A+

Though it would be a surprise, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the Colts could take RG3, leaving Luck to the Redskins. They've made no statement about who they will select, so until they do, it's all up to what direction they are planning to go offensively.

They're in full rebuild mode, and RG3's edge in mobility as a scrambler might appeal to certain offensive strategies. Either way, the Redskins can't lose, as both guys have great potential to be top tier talents ... and I expect both to be extremely successful, and if the Colts maintain their secrecy, draft day will be like a fortune cookie.

Neither guy is a consolation prize ... and I'd be equally excited to have either one throwing the football for the Skins.

The Colts leaving us with Luck would make this trade even better for us. With that said, no way they pass on Luck.
Suck and Luck

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:12 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'm all in on Griffin. But, if Luck "Fell" to us, I mean c'mon. Whose going to complain?

:up:

My feelings exactly. I pushed my chips in October. I was at the same table as coboykillerzRED.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Luck or RGIII

Postby rskin72 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:36 pm

Think Irsay is on record as having stated that he will take Luck with #1 pick. That is ok by me because I believe RGIII will be a more potent version of Michael Vick......and is taller, faster, and appears to be more motivated to actually learn the playbook and study opposition defenses that Vick ever was.

If we ended up with Luck, I wouldn't be unhappy, but I have been on the RGIII bandwagon for a little while now, and hopefully will enjoy watching him (and his teammates) win a few more games next season that we have managed in the past few years......

With either QB, I think/hope that we have found our QB for the next decade or so.

swine

Postby cowboyhater4life » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm

The Hogster wrote:I'm all in on Griffin. But, if Luck "Fell" to us, I mean c'mon. Whose going to complain?

+1 :D
R.I.P. Taylor!

the 'mudge

Re: Luck or RGIII

Postby Countertrey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:04 pm

rskin72 wrote:Think Irsay is on record as having stated that he will take Luck with #1 pick. That is ok by me because I believe RGIII will be a more potent version of Michael Vick......and is taller, faster, and appears to be more motivated to actually learn the playbook and study opposition defenses that Vick ever was.

If we ended up with Luck, I wouldn't be unhappy, but I have been on the RGIII bandwagon for a little while now, and hopefully will enjoy watching him (and his teammates) win a few more games next season that we have managed in the past few years......

With either QB, I think/hope that we have found our QB for the next decade or so.
Griffin is NOT a bigger, better version of Vick. Outside of incredible athleticism, the resemblance ends there. All you have to do is listen to him, and you begin to understand. He is a Junior in college, and is nearly done his Masters degree. He is a pocket passer, who happens to be an incredible athlete. Watch the NFLN segment with Mooch coaching him up, and you see an incredibly acute mind. Word is, he performed like this in the Redskins interview at the combine... that is what committed the FO to get this trade done.

This kid is more like what you'd get if you put the leadership of Warren Moon and the football mind of Joe Montana in Mike Vick's body... and then made it bigger and stronger. There have been many incredible athletes playing quarterback... but very few quarterbacks who were incredible athletes. I think we just got us one of the latter. How's THAT for hyperbole? :twisted:

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

:up:

My feelings exactly. I pushed my chips in October. I was at the same table as coboykillerzRED.

DarthMonk

Awww its a beautiful thing... We are close to buying family RGiii jerseys!
Whiff for Griff!
Can't wait for all the Photoshop pics to be real
With my home NCAA team umm lobos winning the conference tourni Friday night then making my dreams of rgiii come true... It was an epic weekend indeed
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:08 pm

@STLouisRams: The Rams have officially submitted trade with Washington involving the No. 2 pick to the NFL.
Suck and Luck

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 pm

^^^ Looks like Canes is still kind of thinking this might not happen

with what we've seen recently from the league office, he might be right :shock:

anyone else think the NFL is going to veto this trade because it helps the Redskins too much :lol:
Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football