That's it. I want Rex back!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

That's it. I want Rex back!

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 am

I know some of you just threw up in your mouth. :)

Ok, so we're bringing RGIII in, and I'm all for it. I hope he's the starter on day one. Now, I think we should re-sign Rex as his backup.

1) We know Rex can run the offense and can even win a few games.

2) Rex will need far fewer reps in camp, practice, etc; to stay prepared than any new backup QB we acquire. Give RGIII all of the snaps.

3) Its probably not going to cost us much to keep Rex.

4) There will NEVER be a QB controversy with Rex as the backup.

Ok, now bring it on.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:31 am

OH GOD NO!!!!!

In all seriousness, why not go out and try to get a guy like Kyle Orton to hold the chart and ride the pine? Here's why:

-To sign Orton would roughly be about the same to resign Rex, perhaps a bit more. Snyder has the money to make this happen.
-Orton certainly would NEVER turn the ball over as many times as Rex.
-There would be no QB controversy with Orton as the backup.
-I'd certainly rather have a guy like Orton "mentoring" RGIII over Grossman.
-Here's the biggest one: if RGIII were to get hurt during a game, who would you rather have come in for relief? Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton?

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:36 am

No thanks.

Mr. Turnover factory is not a good QB to groom a young player like RGIII.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:57 am

i like rexyg as the backup. i would like someone in town who has run the offense before...
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:27 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:No thanks.
Mr. Turnover factory is not a good QB to groom a young player like RGIII.

ABSOLUTELY agree - Grossman may be here but I have no doubt that this FO will find a QB they can depend on

nobody's guaranteed to be the starter here

Mike does not care about who starts - he will start the QB that gives him the best chance to win

Grossman may win a job here but he's got a lot of work to do and I doubt he makes it
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:50 am

Rex would be a great backup. Knows the offense, and he's able to come in and win 50% of the games he plays. That's all you're looking for. He could also speed up the learning curve for RG3
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:06 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Rex would be a great backup. Knows the offense, and he's able to come in and win 50% of the games he plays. That's all you're looking for. He could also speed up the learning curve for RG3

Agreed. Rex is actually a very good backup.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby SprintRightOption » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:23 am

Rex is the man for back-up. Kyle Orton? Are you kidding me? You do know that he was Rex's back-up in Chicago right? That he is called Check-down Kyle because he can't throw the ball over 20 yards and hence doesn't throw interceptions but allows defenses to keep eight in the box to stop the run.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:26 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
chiefhog44 wrote:Rex would be a great backup. Knows the offense, and he's able to come in and win 50% of the games he plays. That's all you're looking for. He could also speed up the learning curve for RG3

Agreed. Rex is actually a very good backup.

I agree also - Rex will be a VERY motivated backup QB here

I'm sure that he'll get an opportunity - I'm also sure that there will be other QBs here, trying to make the roster

it's not a given that RGIII is the starter - I think Mike would love it if he can go but, that's a lot of pressure

Hey! - RGIII is here and I'm sure there will be a lot of competition at QB here as well
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:15 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:OH GOD NO!!!!!

In all seriousness, why not go out and try to get a guy like Kyle Orton to hold the chart and ride the pine? Here's why:

-To sign Orton would roughly be about the same to resign Rex, perhaps a bit more. Snyder has the money to make this happen.
-Orton certainly would NEVER turn the ball over as many times as Rex.
-There would be no QB controversy with Orton as the backup.
-I'd certainly rather have a guy like Orton "mentoring" RGIII over Grossman.
-Here's the biggest one: if RGIII were to get hurt during a game, who would you rather have come in for relief? Rex Grossman or Kyle Orton?

haha. Good stuff.

- I think Orton would be more expensive than Rex for sure. There will be other teams considering him this season. We just gave up 3 picks for our QB, so money for FAs is important.
- Orton probably won't throw as many INTs. I agree.
- I don't see why Orton would be any better mentor than Grossman. Rex has been in this offense for what four or five years?

The big one to me is the QB controversy stuff. If RGIII were to get hurt or struggle and Orton comes in and does well, that is EXACTLY how controversies get started in this stupid city. Orton has no history with us. Everybody KNOWS what Rex is. They know he can come in and do well for a game or two, but he's not going to hold up over the long haul.

kazoo

Re: That's it. I want Rex back!

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:55 pm

riggofan wrote:I think we should re-sign Rex as his backup

It's a no brainer as long as he's not tripping that he's going to get starter money.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:04 pm

RG3 to start.

RG8 as backup.

Works for me.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

swine

Postby Prowl33 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:44 pm

If available I'd pick up Kyle orton as a very solid number 2, or maybe try and get Brady Quinn from Denver.

I do not want Rex as our backup. We need a backup that can take care of the ball and not make mistakes. Go through #1, #2 , #3 and just get the ball there accurately and that's it. That is not Rex in any way

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I would be ok with RG3 backing up RGIII, b.ut would prefer Orton
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Unfortunately, RG3Ints will probably be RG3s backup. He's the most knowledgable of the offense. And, since RG3 is likely to start now, the backup will be more of a tutor than a lead by example guy. Rex knows the offense fine, he just can't play.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football