Will Griffin start the opener?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Will RGIII start the opener?

Start him. He should be getting real game experience.
90%
Sit him. He should study under a vet before being thrown to the wolves.
10%

Total votes : 58
#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Starting him week 1 doesn't mean that he's not the guy for the long term. It just means he gives us the best chance to win of the guys we have on our roster. If it's Rex, Beck, or Crompton, I can't see how anyone would believe that the guys who've lead us to an 11-21 record would give us a better chance to win than RG

I'm sure the Panthers view Cam as their long term solution, but he still started. And, he didn't even have a full offseason. Same for Andy Dalton. QBs, especially highly drafted ones do not sit like they used to.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:19 pm

I don't want him to get killed either. I think he could start easy but....He could benefit from some tutoring also, from a pro. Let us not rush him into doom. Been there done that in years past. He might be the guiy to pull it off but just sayin....

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm

SPIT HAPPENS!!

piggie

Postby jr_uscg » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 am

I think RG3 will start week one, not because he is the second pick in the draft, but because he will be ready. Everybody talks about how great an athelete and this is true, but I think he very poised and mature for his age. Vick is a great athelete, but RG3 brings much more. I hope he becomes one of the greats...
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 am

This is like a poll on whether it will rain on opening day. It depends on many factors and it makes no difference at this point. It's about getting him in and starting to groom him for the long term. It will matter on opening day if he starts. It doesn't matter now and it won't matter a year from now.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:10 am

The Hogster wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:
The Hogster wrote:You don't trade up to #2 for a guy to sit.

sorry, WRONG! - we did not trade up to get him for this season

we traded up to get our QB for the next 10 plus years

Mike will start him as soon as he shows he's ready to go

I like this kid and would not be surprised to see him on opening day

BUT - we did not get him for opening day

You sound ridiculous. This upcoming year is part of the next 10 years. You don't trade that much for a guy to sit behind the losers who made it necessary for you to trade that much for a guy.

Did Vick sit? How about Cam Newton?

+1
Suck and Luck

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:16 am

I sit him but only if the offensive line is a complete wreck. I don't think it's going to be b/c I feel that's Shanny's next top priority over WR. Shanny loves the run game and while our run stat's were decent last year they can improve. If they get their OT & OG either through the draft or FA & they pan out, RG3 will play. You can't shell shock the guy like many other 1st Rd QB's in years past.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am

I wouldn't mind Rex or Beck starting for a few weeks, but I want to see RGIII in his rookie year.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:21 am

Smithian wrote:I wouldn't mind Rex or Beck starting for a few weeks, but I want to see RGIII in his rookie year.

I just puked.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:26 am

frankcal20 wrote:
Smithian wrote:I wouldn't mind Rex or Beck starting for a few weeks, but I want to see RGIII in his rookie year.

I just puked.
It wouldn't be pretty but it may help to let him see the NFL life for a month or so before being thrown in.

Plus, it gives us all something to look forward to.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:50 am

Irn-Bru wrote:If RGIII shows even some promise at the position, he'll start from day one.

He BETTER show a LOT more than promise in the position. For the price of the trade, he might as well become the franchise QB that was expected from him. There is a learning curve, however, the stakes for him are as high as the rade ... and this was the BIGGEST price thatANY TEAM in the entire HISTORY of the NFL has paid to grab a QB.

Talk about pressure on EVERYBODY, let alone RGIII himself. :shock:

By the way, EVERYBODY has assumed that we will get RGIII ... WHat if ... JUST What if ... Irsay and his new sidekick like RGIII more than ...

Naaaaaaaaahhhhh ... impossible ... or is it? :twisted:

(tongue in chick temptation to start a new thread on the comparison between RGIII and AL) :D
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 am

frankcal20 wrote:I sit him but only if the offensive line is a complete wreck. I don't think it's going to be b/c I feel that's Shanny's next top priority over WR. Shanny loves the run game and while our run stat's were decent last year they can improve. If they get their OT & OG either through the draft or FA & they pan out, RG3 will play. You can't shell shock the guy like many other 1st Rd QB's in years past.

They KNOW their future and this franchise's future stands on the performance and health of the new QB. They SHOULD get a DOMINANT OL, not just a decent one.

I expect them to work hard on FA to improve positions at OL and WR in that order.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:09 pm

It is somewhat shocking that this is even a question, especially for a team that started John Beck for 3 games last year. Especially for a team that had Rex Grossman as it's "best" option last year.

Luck & RG3 should both be opening day starters. Not only because of their extreme talent, but because the teams they are going to SUCK at QB. This isn't an Aaron Rodgers situation. We don't have the luxury of sitting RG3. Our O Line will look much better when fat, RG3Ints isn't back there taking sack, Fumb6's.

Sign Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs & look for a starting RT once the Cap Casualties hit the market.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

piggie

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Doesn't matter who it is Luck or RGIII they need to start from day one. The faster they get past the learning curve the better. There will be bumps in the road, but you have to give them the keys.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:24 pm

The Hogster wrote:Starting him week 1 doesn't mean that he's not the guy for the long term. That logic makes no sense.

I'm sure the Panthers view Cam as their long term solution, but he still started. And, he didn't even have a full offseason. Same for Andy Dalton.

some posters here constantly make it obvious to others that they do not have a clue

Some posters here seem to think they need to let the rest of us know
1 - that they are more knowledgeable than others

AND

2 - that their input here is needed :shock:

thankfully Mike is in charge and not some nitwits here

This is NOT Cam Newton or Andy Dalton - DUH - this is Robert Griffin III
and another revelation - He's always going to be just that, he's not anyone else - WAKE UP

RGIII could very well start but it's not because he has to start

HE WILL BE THE STARTING QB WHEN MIKE THINKS HE SHOULD START

NOT because some nitwit fans or the media or anyone else thinks "he has to start on day 1"
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football