Offensive Line

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Skeletor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 am

MikeJonesWaPo: #Redskins have expressed interest in Texans OG Mike Brisiel, who started 13 games last season.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 am

frankcal20 wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Do we really view Chester as a bust?

I don't. Wasn't he hurt? Just b/c a guy get's hurt doesn't mean that he's not a capable player. Also keep in mind that he's under contract so he'll be playing and most likely starting on the Rt side.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
No, he wasn't a bust. He wasn't even bad.

See, that's what I thought as well.

I actually didn't think we needed to go RG hunting, but just wait and see what Chester looks like in year 2 in offense with a better RT. I thought RT, yes-go get someone right NOW; possibly LG depending on what they thought of Kory pre-injury and about his recovery(to err on side of caution, I wanted a LG to replace him, but would understand if only a young guy brought in to battle him via draft) and I could be talked into a center, though pretty ok with who we have, just not what's behind him.

LT doesn't need to be discussed in my opinion.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Skeletor » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:35 am

I think the problem with Chester was pass blocking. he did a good job with running blocking because he's athletic and mobile, but not as strong...

I've heard theories that Kory could be a better option at C, if they can find a starter for LG.

But I think right now Brown is the weak link because he can't stay healthy. Read that Shanahan told him, if you want to be on the team, you have to be in the facility in the offseason rehabbing your injuries. and by all accounts he has been. But I'm still not sure he can be counted on.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Chester was fine. I wonder what SF55 means when he says that it's "pretty well established." Established by what stats? By what experts? This is the first I've heard of it.

I can't figure out why everyone keeps talking about our offensive line like it's some pathetic, cobbled-together piece of crap. QB and WR were much bigger needs going into the offseason.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 am

emoses14 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:

I don't. Wasn't he hurt? Just b/c a guy get's hurt doesn't mean that he's not a capable player. Also keep in mind that he's under contract so he'll be playing and most likely starting on the Rt side.

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I actually didn't think we needed to go RG hunting, but just wait and see what Chester looks like in year 2 in offense with a better RT. I thought RT, yes-go get someone right NOW; possibly LG depending on what they thought of Kory pre-injury and about his recovery(to err on side of caution, I wanted a LG to replace him, but would understand if only a young guy brought in to battle him via draft) and I could be talked into a center, though pretty ok with who we have, just not what's behind him.

I don't think Chester played all that bad last season. Our problems IMHO, other than depth, was RT (Brown) and C (Montgomery). I don't know what people see in Monty, but he got blown up and beaten way too many times for my liking. He is a backup at best. Same with Brown. He struggled big time in pass protection against faster DE. Unless his hip is 100%, we will need to upgrade.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

emoses14 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I share SF33's overall concern w/OL but I believe Chester surrendered zero sacks. That could be wrong but that's what the "Inernets" tell me.

Anyway, one stud would go a long way toward mollifying such concerns. On the glass half-full side we could say:

Trent = very good
Licht = good
Monty = good
Chester = good
Smith/Brown = (w/fingers crossed) good

This is an optimistic view to be sure. The truth is probably somewhere between this and "the OL sky is falling."

It'd be great if we could call the backups good and most of the starters very good.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Skeletor wrote:I think they tendered Kory Lichtensteiger, so that's not an issue.

The skins have been linked to a lot of different o-lineman over the past couple of days. Give the front office some credit, they're not going to overpay for lineman. Give it another week and I bet we sign at least two...

It is if he isn't healthy enough to play at the start of the season!

Besides he is an OK option as a starting LG, but would be a fantastic backup! Could back up every intererior OL spot.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Skeletor wrote:MikeJonesWaPo: #Redskins have expressed interest in Texans OG Mike Brisiel, who started 13 games last season.

PLEEEAAASSE!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I can't figure out why everyone keeps talking about our offensive line like it's some pathetic, cobbled-together piece of crap. QB and WR were much bigger needs going into the offseason.

Completely agree with QB being a bigger need that is now solved! Completely disagree with WR. The two guys we went out and got MAY end up being better than what we had, but they aren't huge upgrades!

Garcon's stats were nearly identicle to Gafney's. If you want to say he had a worse QB than Rex/Beck last year then I say OK. How about the prior two seasons, also identicle to Gafney's? How was his QB situation there? I like the Josh Morgan signing (didn't at first, but do now), but he hasn't been as productive as Moss, but he can certainly stretch the field!

Our OL is one of the worst in the NFL!!! Only the CHawks and Rams let their QB get hit more than our pass blockers (not all on the OL) and only 11 teams gave up more sacks. Only 5 teams had fewer rushing TDs than us and only 7 teams rushed for fewer yards.

So they couldn't pass protect and couldn't run the ball, but other than that they were great!

Sure they had a lot of injuries, but most teams take a lot of injuries on the OL too. Heck the running game actually improved when the OL was mostly backups!

Other than Tokey, I mean TW, tell me any guy on our OL that would start for any of the top 20 teams? I'm not asking for top ten talent, I just want guys that would start on half of the teams in the NFL!

Is that asking too much?

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
I can't figure out why everyone keeps talking about our offensive line like it's some pathetic, cobbled-together piece of crap. QB and WR were much bigger needs going into the offseason.

People cannot comprehend how one position group effects the next. You're asking people to comprehend... Lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Chester was fine. I wonder what SF55 means when he says that it's "pretty well established." Established by what stats? By what experts? This is the first I've heard of it.

Our O-line as a whole was pretty pathetic last year.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:28 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Our O-line as a whole was pretty pathetic last year.

That's basically ESPN fly by level analysis. There was a lot that went on, and clearly not all of it was bad. And in the end our stats weren't even that bad for an O-line that had so many starters out for so long. And they really pulled a good effort to close out the last few games of the season.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Our line was/is average. But, let's be real. The sacks number is not accurate. John Beck took 7 or 8 in one game playing pitty pat with the ball too long.

And, RG3Ints couldn't outrun a Sloth, and he's never seen coverage he couldn't throw into.

If we are looking at sacks as a stat to judge the O Line, RG3 will improve those numbers. We do need a RT and a LG though. Brown & Lichtensteiger are not healthy.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

It all depends on wht we expect from the team. If we are happy with 5-11 or 6-10 then sure our offensive line is good enough. If we want to contend for the division it needs to get better and probably needs new starters at right tackle and left guard.
Suck and Luck

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:38 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I share SF33's overall concern w/OL but I believe Chester surrendered zero sacks. That could be wrong but that's what the "Inernets" tell me.

Anyway, one stud would go a long way toward mollifying such concerns. On the glass half-full side we could say:

Trent = very good
Licht = good
Monty = good
Chester = good
Smith/Brown = (w/fingers crossed) good

This is an optimistic view to be sure. The truth is probably somewhere between this and "the OL sky is falling."

It'd be great if we could call the backups good and most of the starters very good.

DarthMonk

Lichtensteiger is awful. At best he is a bench player. We need a new starting left guard pretty badly. Brown hasn't been healthy and hasn't performed the way he did in New Orleans, and it's way too early to make a judgement on Smith. Right tackle is a major question mark.
Suck and Luck

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football