London Fletcher Contract

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:37 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:The ILB market hasn't been set yet. While London is still playing at a high level, I don't think there are many teams in the running for a 37 year old LB in 2012.

To that end, I think it's a matter of time & fair value to get this deal done.

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Philly make a run at him and outbid us.

Trotter in reverse. Remember him?

I'm sticking with 3 years $15 M tops, $10 M w/$5 M in bonus makes more sense.

DarthMonk

Fletcher reportedly wants just under $9M per year. Stephen Tulloch's deal will average out to about $8.4M and he's 10 years younger than London.

Hawthorne, Lofton, and Fletcher is all that's left. Would love to get Lofton after re-signing London
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 pm

1niksder wrote:Fletcher reportedly wants just under $9M per year. Stephen Tulloch's deal will average out to about $8.4M and he's 10 years younger than London.

Good googa mooga.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Signing Fletcher to a contract that pays him according to what he's worth as a LB to us is part of it

There's an additional amount that we should pay him over that because he's been a great leader here and because he's important to the leadership of the defense

all that adds up to paying him about 9M OR giving the man what he wants, whichever is the larger amount :lol:
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:32 pm

riggofan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:The ILB market hasn't been set yet. While London is still playing at a high level, I don't think there are many teams in the running for a 37 year old LB in 2012.

I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Philly make a run at him and outbid us.

Not gonna happen
Not now anyway
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Fletcher

Postby rskin72 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:00 pm

My thoughts on this are

PAY THE MAN

We are skewing way young everywhere. You still need proven veterans that will guide the young guys. There is Chris Cooley and Santana Moss on offense....certainly London Fletcher is the key to this on the defemse. The additional bonus is that, hey, at 37yo, he is still an effective LB.

If we lose him.....and/or (God Forbid) he goes to the Beagles......I will have to hold that against Shanny and Allen as a bad move.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:02 pm

1niksder wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Not gonna happen
Not now anyway
I'm good with this!. Still don't have a standard for LB's, though...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby 1niksder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:
1niksder wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Not gonna happen
Not now anyway
I'm good with this!. Still don't have a standard for LB's, though...

Yeah I know Ryans wasn't even on the market, but one less bidder :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Re: London Fletcher Contract

Postby markshark84 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:
Not re-signing him isn't the end of the world.

If you ever played football at a high level, I am confident you wouldn't have made that statement.

If you have and are still making the statement, then you didn't leave with the understanding of how important leadership is.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Good thing on the Eagles. I would have hated to see Fletch end up in Philly. What a steal/deal they made to get Ryans...

I'm just shaking my head over these comments of "Pay the Man" and "we should pay him what he wants plus a little extra". 1) We don't have the freaking cap space to do that and 2) If we did, how do you propose we pay for our rookies, an o-lineman, a cornerback and safety?

Maybe they'll all just sign to work here pro-bono because its such a great franchise.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm

markshark84 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:

If you ever played football at a high level, I am confident you wouldn't have made that statement.

If you have and are still making the statement, then you didn't leave with the understanding of how important leadership is.

Gotta side with SF33 on this one - not the end of the world - just the end of the best free agent signing we've made in quite some time and the loss of an incredible leader.

OTOH - It's hard to place a dollar value on leadership. I'll say that in this case it's worth less than $27 M over 3 years.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:26 pm

DarthMonk wrote:.... not the end of the world - just the end of the best free agent signing we've made in quite some time and the loss of an incredible leader.

OTOH - It's hard to place a dollar value on leadership. I'll say that in this case it's worth less than $27 M over 3 years.

I'll kind of agree with that ....

then

you add in the playing as well and you get to about $9M + a year - for as long as he wants

PAY THE MAN - it's not going to take that much - HE's WORTH EVERY CENT
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:25 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:

Gotta side with SF33 on this one - not the end of the world - just the end of the best free agent signing we've made in quite some time and the loss of an incredible leader.

DarthMonk

There is definetely a price tag on anything. $27M/3yrs is a HUGE price for Fletcher. If that is the asking price, I am not sure it is worth the cost only because of his age. If Fletch was 30, that would be a different story.

I was thinking more in the 4-5M range.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm

markshark84 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:

DarthMonk

There is definetely a price tag on anything. $27M/3yrs is a HUGE price for Fletcher. If that is the asking price, I am not sure it is worth the cost only because of his age. If Fletch was 30, that would be a different story.

Me too.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Pay the Man

Postby rskin72 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

I want the Skins to pay London. I understand the value of LB may be far less than what he wants....and that is part of negotiations... But, if we had to go higher than a certian benchmark, I guess I would probably lean more in his favor as well.

I just see Fletcher as a linchpin in our defense, and an anchor in the locker room. He carries the been there, done that clout that nor many others on the team have. Could we get along without him, most likely, but it will prolong even more the gel period of the team for next season, and who would fill his spot?

He is a stand up guy, and want him in burgundy and gold next season. God forbid we would overpay for a player (see Haynesworth among others) that actually

1. WANTS to practice, stay in shape, and play
2. Wants to play for the Skins
3. Can STILL play at a high level (pro bowl)
4. Team Leader

What is the value in the above?
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Postby 1niksder » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:08 pm

markshark84 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
markshark84 wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:

DarthMonk

Me three

I'm sure if they could make three years 21.75M I wouldn't complain...

Might look like 5 years $42M on paper though
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football