London Fletcher Contract

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Re: Pay the Man

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 pm

rskin72 wrote:I want the Skins to pay London. I understand the value of LB may be far less than what he wants....and that is part of negotiations... But, if we had to go higher than a certian benchmark, I guess I would probably lean more in his favor as well.

I just see Fletcher as a linchpin in our defense, and an anchor in the locker room. He carries the been there, done that clout that nor many others on the team have. Could we get along without him, most likely, but it will prolong even more the gel period of the team for next season, and who would fill his spot?

He is a stand up guy, and want him in burgundy and gold next season. God forbid we would overpay for a player (see Haynesworth among others) that actually

1. WANTS to practice, stay in shape, and play
2. Wants to play for the Skins
3. Can STILL play at a high level (pro bowl)
4. Team Leader

What is the value in the above?

You tell us. What is your limit? Mine is 3 years $15 M with $10 guaranteed.

PS - I love the guy but we can't just say "Pay him no matter what."

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

What is Fletcher worth?

Postby rskin72 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Surely the person who has more combo tackles and assists than Ryans or Tulloch last season, and has over 100 combo's for the past decade, is worth as much or more. If he were a decade younger, he would blow the doors off of the current crop of available ILB's (stats wise). I am far from a cap person...and just trying to find all the stats to compare Fletcher with the others has consumed a bit of my time.....but it has lead to reconfirm that we need to keep him. Taking age into account....Darth prob is not far from the path of what he is worth....but I would add a year on the contract and add another million on the guarentees. Just looking at Fletcher's career stats and starts...it seems as if he may be in the Brett Farve mold ....and he is more productive (according to stats) that others that are a decade younger.

Could be wrong, not a total stats nerd here, but to me he is worth investment.......maybe not 9 mil per season, though......or even 7 or 8. Should be paid fairly equal to his peers regardless of his age, and maybe with a little more when considering team impact and leadership in locker room.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:51 am

Fletch not signed yet??? WT flippity flip :x
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 am

I don't care what it takes

PAY THE MAN
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:38 am

SkinsJock wrote:I don't care what it takes

PAY THE MAN

This just in:

Fletch want 4 years $44 M with $20 M guaranteed or he's OUTTA HERE!

Just kidding, of course.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

PAY THE MAN

I do. He's 37 and we have a rookie quarterback. If he seriously wants 9 large then I say wish him well, and bye bye. I am a huge fan of his like the rest of the Skins fans who are so much behind him and I'm not downplaying his contributions to the team and I want him back. It may not be popular and I'm the first I've seen say this. But 9 large? No, just no.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:59 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

PAY THE MAN

I do. He's 37 and we have a rookie quarterback. If he seriously wants 9 large then I say wish him well, and bye bye. I am a huge fan of his like the rest of the Skins fans who are so much behind him and I'm not downplaying his contributions to the team and I want him back. It may not be popular and I'm the first I've seen say this. But 9 large? No, just no.

+1

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Pay the man.

RGIII does not NEED his leadership mentoring, but it can't hurt... and I suspect that there are one or two still on the team who can occasionally need a dose of London's "guidance".

Pay the man.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:32 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:It may not be popular and I'm the first I've seen say this. But 9 large? No, just no.

There have been several here that said that. I don't think you have to back more than a page to find a couple.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Fletch is a good guy and a good leader but 9 mil a year? Take a hike old man. I liked what I saw out of Perry Riley last year. Replacement time?

DC is no longer a place for dinosaurs to get their pension checks before retiring. At least I want to think it's not.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:It may not be popular and I'm the first I've seen say this. But 9 large? No, just no.

There have been several here that said that. I don't think you have to back more than a page to find a couple.

Nope. Riggo was closest saying maybe we can't afford 25 mil over three years. Others raised questions. I'm the first to say "No" in this thread, though I see ATX closely followed me.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:42 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:Fletch is a good guy and a good leader but 9 mil a year? Take a hike old man. I liked what I saw out of Perry Riley last year. Replacement time?

DC is no longer a place for dinosaurs to get their pension checks before retiring. At least I want to think it's not.

I hope he gets more realistic and stays, but we agree that for this price tag it's "No Deal," Howie...

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Darth at the top said 15 million three years is as high as he'd go.and we can't just pay.the.man whatever..
And I agree along those lines. The teams these days tho.wouldn't be surprised if he walks and get a fat check.from a ilb starved team
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:47 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Darth at the top said 15 million three years is as high as he'd go.and we can't just pay.the.man whatever..
And I agree along those lines. The teams these days tho.wouldn't be surprised if he walks and get a fat check.from a ilb starved team

When you get into multi-year deals for a 37 year old linebacker, apples to apples is a challenge.

Regarding someone paying it, A big part of my argument is that since we are going with RG3, we're now in a 2-3 year cycle to get good and he's 37. I could totally see a good team seeking a trophy this year paying it, or at least getting close. What about the Pats? He could have been the difference last year. I still can't see them tying up big dollars for several years though.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:DC is no longer a place for dinosaurs to get their pension checks before retiring. At least I want to think it's not.

I agree his price is too high.. totally.

Your right about the pension check thing too HOWEVER... nothing's wrong with him, plus all the other good stuff he does, and Snyder should really start rewarding players who have been sticking it out through all the crap while maintaining some integrity here for us. (Moss comes to mind as well)
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football