Rex Grossman agrees to one-year deal with Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Rex Grossman agrees to one-year deal with Redskins

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm

This needed it's own thread

The move means Grossman will serve as the veteran backup and mentor to Robert Griffin III, who will surely go to the Redskins with the second overall pick, and perhaps start early in the season if the Redskins don’t think Griffin is ready to go in Week One.

And the end of Beck
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby die cowboys die » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:33 pm

this is a great move. yes, i'm serious. Grossman is obviously not a quality start but he is a good backup who already knows the system. he gives you a chance to stay alive for a few games or so if your starter goes down.

but he obviously shouldn't start the season. let the rookie play and get experience. you don't have to worry about damaging rookie QBs psychologically by playing them before they're ready-- if that damages them mentally, they are not NFL star QB material. if they are, they'll just learn from it and keep getting better.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:13 pm

die cowboys die wrote:this is a great move. yes, i'm serious. Grossman is obviously not a quality start but he is a good backup who already knows the system. he gives you a chance to stay alive for a few games or so if your starter goes down.

I've been advocating this since we made the trade for RGIII. I just think it makes the most sense.

Does seem like this means Beck is gone for sure. He could be the #3 QB I guess, but I think I read they would save like $2-3m if they release Beck in June.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Saves $1.3M if they let Beck go

With Rex there is no learning curve, only plays if RGIII is hurt or not ready to go day 1.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm

"I know they're going to draft a franchise QB. I'm gonna help out that guy get up too speed. I'll also be ready to play."...Rex to ESPN980
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Gross....man

Postby rskin72 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:32 pm

I have no problems with this. Grossman is far better than Beck....and has played under a Kyle Shanahan system for several years now. And.....I really hated the rumors of Kyle Orton coming to town....to me he is no better than Grossman....

I also would have no problems with Rex playing significant time during first few games, depending on how RGIII does in training camp. I do not want to risk burning out RGIII to early......I recall Patrick Ramsey was like a human pinata in the pocket.....there is no big need to rush this process, took long enough to get a potential franchise QB in town, hate to blow it early by playing our rookie too soon.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:39 pm

die cowboys die wrote:this is a great move. yes, i'm serious. Grossman is obviously not a quality start but he is a good backup who already knows the system. he gives you a chance to stay alive for a few games or so if your starter goes down.

but he obviously shouldn't start the season. let the rookie play and get experience. you don't have to worry about damaging rookie QBs psychologically by playing them before they're ready-- if that damages them mentally, they are not NFL star QB material. if they are, they'll just learn from it and keep getting better.

^ + 1

1niksder wrote:"I know they're going to draft a franchise QB. I'm gonna help out that guy get up too speed. I'll also be ready to play."...Rex to ESPN980

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:59 am

I would have wanted a guy who is more RGIII like in terms of their skill-set as the backup. But alas. Anyway, I dunno about Rex Grossman's abilities as a teacher but I do know he knows the system, he's capable of occasional greatness and he prepares every day like he's going to start the game.

He's a great backup.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:44 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:I would have wanted a guy who is more RGIII like in terms of their skill-set as the backup

You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes...you might find...

Valid point, but on the flip side it lets your D see different skills in practice. Since Grossman does have good skill with his biggest weakness being bone head decision making, he seems like he'd be an excellent scout team QB. He also seems to make more bone head plays the more he plays, so again backing up plays to his strength. You can't always get what you want, but he fills what we need just fine.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

piglet

Postby bigricky » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:22 am

Beck will be let go sometime during training camp. The Redskins and all other NFL teams carry 4 QBs for practice purpose. The Skins will carry 2 QBs on the opening day roster and Beck can always be called back if someone falls and we don't have to worry about another team calling him because I'm quite sure no team is interested in his services lol.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:57 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:I would have wanted a guy who is more RGIII like in terms of their skill-set as the backup

You can't always get what you want...but if you try sometimes...you might find...

Valid point, but on the flip side it lets your D see different skills in practice. Since Grossman does have good skill with his biggest weakness being bone head decision making, he seems like he'd be an excellent scout team QB. He also seems to make more bone head plays the more he plays, so again backing up plays to his strength. You can't always get what you want, but he fills what we need just fine.

Dont Start Me Up Kaz, I know watching RG8 last year for some people was like a 19th Nervous Breakdown, but lets say for the sake of arguement that next year (if he takes to the field) he should have:

1. A better corps of WRs

2. A running game (He didn't always have that, remember Torain?)

3. A healthy/better OL

All of which most surely help him in terms of picking out his own WRs rather than people in different coloured shirts than his own.

This may be The Last Time we use him, but he should be a better backup than most teams have and give us Satisfaction.

And as far as our secondary goes, I Know It's Only Josh and Hall (But I Like it)...

:rock:
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Dont Start Me Up Kaz, I know watching RG8 last year for some people was like a 19th Nervous Breakdown, but lets say for the sake of arguement that next year (if he takes to the field) he should have:

1. A better corps of WRs

2. A running game (He didn't always have that, remember Torain?)

3. A healthy/better OL

All of which most surely help him in terms of picking out his own WRs rather than people in different coloured shirts than his own.

This may be The Last Time we use him, but he should be a better backup than most teams have and give us Satisfaction.

And as far as our secondary goes, I Know It's Only Josh and Hall (But I Like it)...

:rock:

Hey, the Stones references were my idea, so Get Off My Cloud. Just kidding, but I didn't mean to make the conversation a Beast of Burden or anything. But your reply was Respectable to say the least. But you won't outlast me, Wild Horses couldn't get me out of this one, so Time Is On My Side. So go ahead and try, you'll see I've Got You Under My Thumb...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:31 pm

^^ :puke:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:40 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:I would have wanted a guy who is more RGIII like in terms of their skill-set as the backup. But alas. Anyway, I dunno about Rex Grossman's abilities as a teacher but I do know he knows the system, he's capable of occasional greatness and he prepares every day like he's going to start the game.

He's a great backup.

He's last year's starter that has lost the job before the replacement as been added to the roster. Not only does he know the system (meaning more practice reps for RGIII), he seems willing to help bring his replacement up to speed (something most Vet QB might not want to do). He was the best option available (this was prior to A Smith scheduling visits) and he is cool with his situation. That's the perfect backup
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby 1niksder » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Rex should have had 25 pick last season. That would have been 31 turnovers in 13 games #-o
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football