Still No OL Help... Why?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am

Casey Rabach wants to play again, but he’s not well enough to pass a Redskins physical.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Now, here is where I disagree with you wholeheartledly. Last year's O line was not doom and gloom last year. We moved the ball, but we settled for FGs. You focus on "horrid" QB hits? How about "horrid" QB turnovers. Go game by game and you will see that our O line was not Doom and Gloom. Check out the stats in the Arizona game (455 total offensive yds) - why did we only have 22 points in that game and the D had to save it - it wasn't the O line.

About our O:

Timing O - Yes, better QB play with an ability to extend plays reduces sacks and hits. Also recievers getting open. Also having a deep threat.
Running threat QB - Does change your rush tactics - Detmer speaks to this on a post in RG3 2 DC thread
Continuity - does produce better o line play.

Look I wasn't painting doom and gloom, I was just trying to keep things real.

Other than QB, OL was our biggest need for improvement during the off season. Our WRs could have gotten the job done with a better QB that had more time to throw. We slightly improved the wr core, but we could have dramatically improved the OL and didn't.

So hopefully more continuity, a draft pick, or a cast off June 1 cut will improve the ol play. But don't expect a rookie QB to take less sacks than Rex, because he won't.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Now, here is where I disagree with you wholeheartledly. Last year's O line was not doom and gloom last year. We moved the ball, but we settled for FGs. You focus on "horrid" QB hits? How about "horrid" QB turnovers. Go game by game and you will see that our O line was not Doom and Gloom. Check out the stats in the Arizona game (455 total offensive yds) - why did we only have 22 points in that game and the D had to save it - it wasn't the O line.

About our O:

Timing O - Yes, better QB play with an ability to extend plays reduces sacks and hits. Also recievers getting open. Also having a deep threat.
Running threat QB - Does change your rush tactics - Detmer speaks to this on a post in RG3 2 DC thread

Other than QB, OL was our biggest need for improvement during the off season. Our WRs could have gotten the job done with a better QB that had more time to throw. We slightly improved the wr core, but we could have dramatically improved the OL and didn't.

So hopefully more continuity, a draft pick, or a cast off June 1 cut will improve the ol play.

Thank you for the clarification. I definitely get what you are saying. :)

But don't expect a rookie QB to take less sacks than Rex, because he won't.

I get what you are saying here about mobile QBs not necessaily reducing the number of times he is sacked. Check out the link.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-per-game

Note where the Packers are - I like to compare RGIII to the present day Aaron Rodgers. They are about the same size and it is said that Aaron does it better than anyone in deciding when to run and when to pass.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 am

Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Now, here is where I disagree with you wholeheartledly. Last year's O line was not doom and gloom last year. We moved the ball, but we settled for FGs. You focus on "horrid" QB hits? How about "horrid" QB turnovers. Go game by game and you will see that our O line was not Doom and Gloom. Check out the stats in the Arizona game (455 total offensive yds) - why did we only have 22 points in that game and the D had to save it - it wasn't the O line.

About our O:

So hopefully more continuity, a draft pick, or a cast off June 1 cut will improve the ol play.

I get what you are saying here about mobile QBs not necessaily reducing the number of times he is sacked. Check out the link.

Note where the Packers are - I like to compare RGIII to the present day Aaron Rodgers. They are about the same size and it is said that Aaron does it better than anyone in deciding when to run and when to pass.

Pass Attempts per Game:
Redskins-36.9
Saints-42.7
Packers-35.1
Rams-34.3
Bills-36.1

QB Sacked per Game
Redskins-2.5
Saints-1.6
Packers-2.6
Rams-3.4
Bills-1.4

QB Sacked per Attempts
Redskins-0.0677506
Saints-0.0374707
Packers-0.082621
Rams-0.0991253
Bills-0.0387811

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 am

stats can be very misleading

all offenses are helped with better offensive line play

all offenses are helped with better playmaking by the QB

we have added a QB that given time will make just about any line look good

we will add players to the O line - that is a given

things are still developing here

PATIENCE
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

About our O:

Pass Attempts per Game:
Redskins-36.9
Saints-42.7
Packers-35.1
Rams-34.3
Bills-36.1

QB Sacked per Game
Redskins-2.5
Saints-1.6
Packers-2.6
Rams-3.4
Bills-1.4

QB Sacked per Attempts
Redskins-0.0677506
Saints-0.0374707
Packers-0.082621
Rams-0.0991253
Bills-0.0387811

Good Stats - sack percentage is a better way to look at sacks and we also have to keep in mind the Beck 10 sacks whichi magnified even more when we remember that the Bills only had 5 sacks coming into the game.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-pct

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote:stats can be very misleading

Very true; however from MSF2's stats, I don't think that anyone can find misleading that the Rams O line was absolutely horrid last year. Now, that is a definitely a doom and gloom O line situation and I am glad that we are nowhere near that situation that they have. I agree with you patience :)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football