Why not Do it Again....WRs.. Who stays - Who goes?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######
Posts: 7224
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Red_One43 wrote:AAA knows the deck is stacked against him:
“Unfortunately, I’m coming off of a bad season, so it’s usually kind of, what have you done for me lately?” Armstrong said. “Hopefully there’s enough good back in 2010 that weighs heavily on their mind that, ‘OK, he can definitely get back to this level of play,’ but you know, once again, I’ve just got to go out there and make plays and be able to perform at a high level.”


That is, except for Saturday. Seeing that Robinson needed a break late in the Redskins’ 33-31 loss at Chicago, Armstrong ran onto the field and played one snap, mostly without the permission of his coaches.

He could have played,” head coach Mike Shanahan said. “He told me he was ready to go. I was a little bit hesitant, and that’s why he didn’t play. If somebody went down, we could have played him, but I didn’t want to if we didn’t have to.”


Why didn't Shanny play Armstrong? Go with Shanny's consistent sayings and actions rather than the above. Consistently Shanny has said that you don't practice you don't play (of course, if you are a stud, that rule goes out the door in the regular season). AAA took off the yellow jersey for one practice and he saw limited duty. With practices closed, we won't know until the Colts game how he is doing.


I think Anthony Armstrong is pretty much done here. Aldrick Robinson is a younger player with a similar skillset, but who has more lateral agility & explosiveness. I think Shanahan goes with his guy Aldrick over Armstrong.

While he's only been in the B & G for 3 seasons, Anthony Armstrong is 29 years old. I think the performance of Robinson, his potential, and the fact that our receiving core is getting younger players who can grow with RG3, it will be tough for Armstrong to crack this roster.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Good points.. I'd also point out he came from arena football, and was a rookie to the NFL when we signed him. He's just never been THAT good.Id rather go with the faster younger guys, and I think Shanny will agree.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

^I agree as well, that AAA is done here, but I am hoping that he looks great on Saturday. He's a great guy, love to see another team be willing to trade for him to keep him off the waiver wire.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Good points.. I'd also point out he came from arena football, and was a rookie to the NFL when we signed him. He's just never been THAT good.Id rather go with the faster younger guys, and I think Shanny will agree.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:20 pm

Plus a late round pick or a serviceable o line man would be a nice parting gift..
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:36 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Good points.. I'd also point out he came from arena football, and was a rookie to the NFL when we signed him. He's just never been THAT good.Id rather go with the faster younger guys, and I think Shanny will agree.


Even if he was "that good", it would have been a moot point with noodle arm Rex throwing him the ball.

This guy has skills and is good enough to make the 53-man roster. However, not having a QB who could utilize his skill-set was a major for his decline in 2011. Of course, he has his issues with beating the jam and now he's been injured.

He won't have trouble finding a team to get on, maybe as the 4th WR.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Posts: 1025
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:27 pm
Location: Arlington, VA (Ballston)

Postby ACW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:06 am

LOCKS: Garcon, Moss
NEAR-LOCK: Hankerson
Morgan is at the next level; Banks even as just a returner should be kept.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Good points.. I'd also point out he came from arena football, and was a rookie to the NFL when we signed him. He's just never been THAT good.Id rather go with the faster younger guys, and I think Shanny will agree.


Even if he was "that good", it would have been a moot point with noodle arm Rex throwing him the ball.

This guy has skills and is good enough to make the 53-man roster. However, not having a QB who could utilize his skill-set was a major for his decline in 2011. Of course, he has his issues with beating the jam and now he's been injured.

He won't have trouble finding a team to get on, maybe as the 4th WR.


I agree.. I hope he has a great game and we can trade him. Fact is hes an older shorter slower Robinson. Seasoned tho he may be id rather the youth. Briscoe is above both just because of his experience and size = redzone threat and more playing time then either.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 am

ACW wrote:LOCKS: Garcon, Moss
NEAR-LOCK: Hankerson
Morgan is at the next level; Banks even as just a returner should be kept.


Not sure how u figured that one out..

LOCKS: Garçon, Moss, Hanktime, Morgan
NEAR-LOCK: Banks, Briscoe,
Bubble: Robinson
Outside looking in: AAA

In order left to right as well.

Breakdown: Garçon- has proved he can be the number one and is. Moss- is Moss the slot spot is his for at least this year probably more w RGiii. Hankerson- is big and has done very good as a rook (camp and his breakout game b4 injury) and has grown in his secound year, hes a LOCK. Morgan- has done well despite an injury set back, his upside isjust to good + wed be on the hook for part of his salary if we cut him I think.. LOCK. Banks- his top three in the league returning ability is just to much to let walk. He will be the sixth receiver but I think w his speed and rgiiis combined coach Shanny will have a few more plays for him on O. Briscoe- big redzone target for RGiii, experience and still as young as most rookies. What else is there to say? I'd personally lock him and BB in. Robinson- has made a strong case for himself and I think he makes the squad( final 53 not ps). He's fast has good hands and is maturing nicely. Like any of our wr if he's cut he will be picked up. I have him behind Briscoe and banks cuz let's be real just how much time will he see? How much games will he be activated? Who knows. AAA- outside looking in... That injury might have cost him. He's just not an improvement over Robinson in any area I can think of. Two years ago we just didnt have the depth.. his drops last year made me rethink his value, I'm sure coach hated it aswell. I'm hoping for trade bait because at this point all the other guys have built stronger cases.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk
Posts: 4219
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:12 pm

I liked what I saw from Morgan and Dez against the Colts.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######
Posts: 7224
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:56 pm

I know this topic will come back up next year. But, Banks made the 53. According to him. Can we let this horse lie dead??? No??

Cool. :lol: :lol:

Image

Image
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:22 pm

The Hogster wrote:I know this topic will come back up next year. But, Banks made the 53. According to him. Can we let this horse lie dead???


It will die for the moment, but you know the drill.

08 Champ
Posts: 13052
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:When he does something in the regular season, it'll count. Preseason and practice awesomeness dont mean a darn thing.

If practice won games, Taylor Jacobs would be king.


You might be right about Taylor Jacobs but ...

I'll GUARANTEE

1 - there are a bunch of guys not on rosters this evening ONLY because they did not prove their value on the practice field

and

2 - there are a bunch of players that proved in the preseason games and on the practice fields that they had more to offer their teams during this season than they did last season

:D
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

piggie
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:53 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Postby oj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:12 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:
ACW wrote:LOCKS: Garcon, Moss
NEAR-LOCK: Hankerson
Morgan is at the next level; Banks even as just a returner should be kept.


Not sure how u figured that one out..

LOCKS: Garçon, Moss, Hanktime, Morgan
NEAR-LOCK: Banks, Briscoe,
Bubble: Robinson
Outside looking in: AAA

In order left to right as well.

Breakdown: Garçon- has proved he can be the number one and is. Moss- is Moss the slot spot is his for at least this year probably more w RGiii. Hankerson- is big and has done very good as a rook (camp and his breakout game b4 injury) and has grown in his secound year, hes a LOCK. Morgan- has done well despite an injury set back, his upside isjust to good + wed be on the hook for part of his salary if we cut him I think.. LOCK. Banks- his top three in the league returning ability is just to much to let walk. He will be the sixth receiver but I think w his speed and rgiiis combined coach Shanny will have a few more plays for him on O. Briscoe- big redzone target for RGiii, experience and still as young as most rookies. What else is there to say? I'd personally lock him and BB in. Robinson- has made a strong case for himself and I think he makes the squad( final 53 not ps). He's fast has good hands and is maturing nicely. Like any of our wr if he's cut he will be picked up. I have him behind Briscoe and banks cuz let's be real just how much time will he see? How much games will he be activated? Who knows. AAA- outside looking in... That injury might have cost him. He's just not an improvement over Robinson in any area I can think of. Two years ago we just didnt have the depth.. his drops last year made me rethink his value, I'm sure coach hated it aswell. I'm hoping for trade bait because at this point all the other guys have built stronger cases.


I like how you think, good analysis.

I also like moss in the slot. He is a toughguy and becoming a specialist in that spot will add a couple years to his playing time...unless he breaks something as that spot can be tough. What i see is his continued presence in the same area will open possibilities for the tight ends coming across. I bet we see more tightend activity during the season and i will attribute taht to Moss being in the slot.
Molon Labe

CKRGiii
Posts: 4196
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm

Thank u sir! And welcome to the board!
Should be a monster year for big Fred... Coooooooooley will be missed!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football