Why not Do it Again....WRs.. Who stays - Who goes?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:10 pm

DarthMonk wrote:My biggest concern is durability followed by ball security. We all know he can break open a game.

My biggest concern is ball security. He had too many muffs last year. Luckily, he never had a turnover.

Second for me is improvement on his vision on KO returns. Too often he would not make a cut and just run into the tackler. This could have been related to the knee injury. Perhpas, he couldn't make the cuts.

With him declaring that his knee is 100%, there are no excuses this year.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:33 pm

David Elfin‏@davidelfin

Nice day 4 #Redskins WRs, particularly Pierre Garcon, Aldrick Robinson, Anthony Armstrong & rookie FA Samuel Kirkland. Practice resumes Mon.

Great to see compliments about these guys as well.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:12 pm

Rich Tandler:
—In my roster predictions from earlier this month I have Aldrick Robinson making the team as the kick returner/wide receiver and Brandon Banks off. I have to say that if many more practice go like today’s went I might have to change that. Banks was the one who looked like an NFL receiver out there while Robinson looked like he still needs a lot of work. It’s early, I’m not changing my call yet, but it bears watching.

Rich, change your call. Banks has the drive to do what it takes to step up and meet the challenge. Sorry, to say, Aldrick has not shown that he has the mental to play at this level. It's early, but there's an old saying, the early receiver gets the call.

Postby Jak101 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Deadskins wrote:Moss definitely stays. I don't think there's any chance of him getting cut.

This may have already been mentioned, but I think cap space could be a big determining factor here.
-Jacqueline

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:11 pm

John Keim on Brandon Bank's practice 7/28:

3. Pointed out Friday that Aldrick Robinson had a ways to go to earn a roster spot. One of the guys he’s competing with, Brandon Banks, had a terrific day. Robinson might have looked good in the one-on-ones, but it’s the full-team work where receivers need to shine and that’s what Banks did. He caught three passes over the middle, including two in traffic, making a leaping catch on one Rex Grossman ball. The play I liked: corner Cedric Griffin went to jam him, though he used his outside hand (left) to do so and Banks stepped in that direction. It got Griffin off-balance and Banks shot inside for an open grab.

4. Banks did drop one pass (on a crossing route vs. Josh Wilson) and you can never get too excited about one practice. But it was a good day for him. He did one thing they want to see their receivers do and that’s beat press coverage. Banks needs to have this translate into games, not to mention return a couple kicks for long gains.

3. Pointed out Friday that Aldrick Robinson had a ways to go to earn a roster spot. One of the guys he’s competing with, Brandon Banks, had a terrific day. Robinson might have looked good in the one-on-ones, but it’s the full-team work where receivers need to shine and that’s what Banks did. He caught three passes over the middle, including two in traffic, making a leaping catch on one Rex Grossman ball. The play I liked: corner Cedric Griffin went to jam him, though he used his outside hand (left) to do so and Banks stepped in that direction. It got Griffin off-balance and Banks shot inside for an open grab.

4. Banks did drop one pass (on a crossing route vs. Josh Wilson) and you can never get too excited about one practice. But it was a good day for him. He did one thing they want to see their receivers do and that’s beat press coverage. Banks needs to have this translate into games, not to mention return a couple kicks for long gains.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2503434

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Rich Campbell on Banks' day:

Diminutive WR Brandon Banks made three catches between the hash marks during team drills. There isn’t full tackling in these drills, so Banks wasn’t at risk of taking a vicious hit, but he will have to be willing and able to catch passes over the middle if he is to make the team.

Banks’ is very shifty getting off the line, which makes it tough for cornerbacks to press him. On one reception, he stepped hard and quickly to the right to fake the cornerback before coming back inside on a slant. He was two steps clear of the DB when he caught the ball.

Banks did drop a pass during positional drills against no defense

Catching balls over the middle and geting off press coverage. More than just one writer has been very complimentary of Banks' day today. You can see by the disclaimers in each report that they are not biased toward him. They sound more surprised that Banks can play wideout.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/red ... eport-728/

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm

LOL I hope he makes the team just to piss the irrational people off.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:LOL I hope he makes the team just to piss the irrational people off.

+1
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Positive comments from the man who counts:

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen

Mike Shanahan: Brandon Banks was banged up last year "he didn't know how to be a pro player." Says he matured and is healthier. #Redskins

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:52 pm

This is all great news on Banks. I'd love to see him make the team.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Hank, Banks, Armstrong, and Austin do well in this Tandler Practice report for today

Had to post the quote on Hank (below). Love it. Every has picked him to stay, but it is great to hear that he is becoming the receiver that we are expecting him to become.

—Leonard Hankerson looks like a different player than he did a year ago. Not only is he holding onto the ball better, he looks more fluid as he runs his routes. He was a college kid at this time last year, he’s learning how to be a pro now.

Austin is having a good camp. I hear that he gets better each year. Banks continue to do well with a great catch, but did drop an easy pass. Looks like the the old Armstrong is back! Knowing that Tandler was expecting big thinks from Robinson (I was too), it is noteworthy that he is missing from this roll call of receivers having good performances today. Check out the link.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 pm

John Keim on Brandon Banks
“I feel like a brand new person,” Banks said. “I feel like I’m 100 percent. I feel I got my juice and my quickness back and my little burst.”

Early in camp he’s shown flashes of doing so; it’s tough to jam him at the line. He gets in and out of breaks quickly. But he’s also a tough target at only 5-foot-7. And Terrence Austin, among others, is having a good camp. Austin can help as a returner as well; it’s why they drafted him in the first place. Aldrick Robinson will get looks there, too.

“I always knew I could play receiver,” Banks said. “I did it in college. All I had to do is get healthy.”

Banks is not one for long answers, but in essence he agreed with Shanahan.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “I had a good offseason, did a lot of rehabbing and strengthening on my legs and conditioning. I took care of my body real well. It was my main focus this year. At the end of last year [Shanahan] told me what he needed me to do and I took advantage of it.”

But returning kicks is where he makes his money. He remembers seeing holes on kick returns last year that he missed, in part, he said, because of his inability to cut as well as he wanted. He’s said in the past that he likes to run to his left and teams often pinned him to the left, forcing him to run the other way.

As for receiver, Banks is confident. In practice earlier this week, Banks displayed his quickness off the line against Cedric Griffin. He tried to jam Banks, but Banks took a step outside, causing Griffin to react and get off-balance. Banks easily cut inside for a catch. But he can also be easy for linebackers to re-route (if they get their hands on him).

“I can get open,” he said. “I can get the ball and go the distance, the medium routes, 10-yard routes. Anytime I’m out here when I get the ball in my hands it seems like I can make a play and help them.

“That’s the strength of my game, quickness off the line and just using my speed getting in and out of routes. It’ll create a mismatch for most defenders.”

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:24 pm

Aldrick Robinson has another strong practice

Randle El and company were treated to another strong practice from second-year receiver Aldrick Robinson, who appears to have made big strides in Year Two.

Robinson has been matched up with each of the three quarterbacks so far, and has become a consistent target to stretch the field and make a tough catch in coverage.

Robinson has also been a regular in the special teams return drills, shagging punts from the JUGGS machines with Brandon Banks, Anthony Armstrong and Terrence Austin.

Robinson had a disastrous performance against the Colts in the preseason last year (two muffed punts), but says he has worked closely with special teams coordinator Danny Smith and is confident heading into preseason action next week.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Garçon
Moss
Hanktime
Morgan
AAA
_________! This sixth spot is gonna be a tough choice I'm thinking. None of the guys will see much snaps on O. So my gut says the better return man in Banks, since he's shown he CAN play wr.

Any chance we keep more then six?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:55 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Garçon
Moss
Hanktime
Morgan
AAA
_________! This sixth spot is gonna be a tough choice I'm thinking. None of the guys will see much snaps on O. So my gut says the better return man in Banks, since he's shown he CAN play wr.

Any chance we keep more then six?

The only way we keep more than 6 is Shanny says that I kept the best 53 and 7 of that 53 were wideouts. I don't rule that possibility out with Shanny, but I don't think that will happen.

Along with Banks looking good in TC. Austin is looking as good. Robinson has two good practices, but he needs to show that he can return punts in a game. If all three of these guys continue to look good in camp and look great in the preseason games. Could they push Moss out because of age?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football