Why not Do it Again....WRs.. Who stays - Who goes?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
ATX
Posts: 3384
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 am
Location: NOVA

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:49 pm

Does anyone on here know Brandon Banks on a personal level?
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22
Online
User avatar
Posts: 16162
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Red_One43 wrote:If you look at the roster last year, Seven of the 8 receivers played extensively from scrimmage in at least one game.

Actually, that was eight of nine. :shock:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:If you look at the roster last year, Seven of the 8 receivers played extensively from scrimmage in at least one game.

Actually, that was eight of nine. :shock:


LOL. I lost track of Niles Paul because he is a TE now.
You are right 9 receivers.

Gafney, Moss, Hank, Armstrong, Anderson, Stallworth, Austin, Banks, Paul

8 of 10 :shock:

if you count Robinson who was placed on the 53 for the last game. He was not activated.






http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/nam ... n-redskins

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:32 pm

A year ago when many thought Brandon Banks was on the bubble, Shanahan answered a question about him and made reference to getting him ready for the season. A clear sign of their intention to keep him. But Shanahan would not go overboard in his assessment of Banks’ chances after his 91-yard punt return Saturday. I don’t think the Redskins had forgotten about his ability to make plays, though a reminder always helps. But more than just one return will factor into their decision.

“When a guy has game-breaking potential and ability, which he has shown, it is tough not to keep a guy like that,” Shanahan said. “But we have a lot of competition and that is what you want to have. Who else can return punts? Who else can play wide receiver? That is what you have to evaluate and sometimes you let good football players go.”


http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... _click=rss

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:40 pm

John Keim on Robinson and Briscoe
And here’s Shanahan’s take on Aldrick Robinson and Dezmon Briscoe after Saturday’s game: “They helped themselves. I took a look at the one play Aldrick made and it was a big-time play. The ball was deflected, he caught it on the shoulder pad, made some guys miss and you could see the speed and explosion and that is what you’re looking for. Anthony Armstrong played a couple plays but not much. A guy like Briscoe, I thought, did a good job catching the ball, using his hands and taking advantage of his opportunities.”

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:30 am

People who want Banks gone obviously don't know football. He's going to be on this team just like he was the last 2 years because Special Teams is crucial. And, your 6th, 7th, or 8th WR rarely if ever makes as big of an impact in games as your starting returner.

It's not just TDs, it's his long return ability and the fact that he forces punters to try and directional kick away from him costing yards in the process.

This entire thread is ridiculous because it's not really about WRs. It's about Brandon Banks.

It's darn near remedial to beat this dead horse every season.

My guess is the following make it at WR with Banks making it as a Specialist:

Pierre Garcon
Santana Moss
Leonard Hankerson
Josh Morgan
Aldrick Robinson
Desmond Briscoe

Surprising release being Anthony Armstrong but I think Robinson does what Armstrong can do, and he's younger, cheaper etc. Lance Lewis goes to PR.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 am

I know we are keeping Josh Morgan because of his contract but has he really done ANYTHING to EARN a roster spot?

It isn't like he had a highly productive career at San Fran!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I know we are keeping Josh Morgan because of his contract but has he really done ANYTHING to EARN a roster spot?

It isn't like he had a highly productive career at San Fran!


He looked pretty good against Buffalo with 2 catches for 49yds. He's also coming off of an injury, so they may be bringing him along slowly to get ready for the season.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

08 Champ
Posts: 13401
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 am

We're ONLY keeping receivers based on what they can and might do with this offense, this season

trust me on this - we are NOT keeping OR letting players go, based on what they did here or elsewhere, last week or last year :roll:

this applies to Cooley who has been here forever or Morgan who just came in
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:18 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I know we are keeping Josh Morgan because of his contract but has he really done ANYTHING to EARN a roster spot?


Yes. He was perhaps our best receiver against Buffalo. He turned bad throws by Griff and Cousins into first downs. He's also one of our bigger guys at 6-1, 220 who happens to run a 4.4 40 making him a strong redzone threat with big play potential.

DarthMonk wrote:Post-game notes (mostly Cousins and Morgan) after watching again.

1st half:

Cousins comes in to run 2 minute. He makes 4 PERFECT throws. Paul drops 2 of them.

5th throw is WAY behind a wide open Josh Morgan for a pick. A good throw has Morgan being dragged down from behind deep in Bills' territory or scoring.

6th throw is an 8 yard in to Morgan. Morgan makes an excellent catch on a very low throw.

8th throw, 3rd and 2, slant to Morgan, complete for 8. Good route, good throw, good catch.

With Rex in the game Morgan made very tough catch in traffic on a ball that is WAY behind him. Bobble .. yes. Caught it ... in traffic ... terrible throw.

Morgan had a very good first half.


2nd half:

2nd and 6 from our 31. Cousins throws strike to Morgan who makes catch on a 9 yard out. NFL quality action.

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close.


Morgan has done plenty so far.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 am

DarthMonk wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I know we are keeping Josh Morgan because of his contract but has he really done ANYTHING to EARN a roster spot?


Yes. He was perhaps our best receiver against Buffalo. He turned bad throws by Griff and Cousins into first downs. He's also one of our bigger guys at 6-1, 220 who happens to run a 4.4 40 making him a strong redzone threat with big play potential.

DarthMonk wrote:Post-game notes (mostly Cousins and Morgan) after watching again.

1st half:

Cousins comes in to run 2 minute. He makes 4 PERFECT throws. Paul drops 2 of them.

5th throw is WAY behind a wide open Josh Morgan for a pick. A good throw has Morgan being dragged down from behind deep in Bills' territory or scoring.

6th throw is an 8 yard in to Morgan. Morgan makes an excellent catch on a very low throw.

8th throw, 3rd and 2, slant to Morgan, complete for 8. Good route, good throw, good catch.

With Rex in the game Morgan made very tough catch in traffic on a ball that is WAY behind him. Bobble .. yes. Caught it ... in traffic ... terrible throw.

Morgan had a very good first half.


2nd half:

2nd and 6 from our 31. Cousins throws strike to Morgan who makes catch on a 9 yard out. NFL quality action.

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close.


Morgan has done plenty so far.

DarthMonk


I have no idea who wrote this:

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close. [/quote]

but if that was you you saw that play with very rosey colored glasses. The only thing they (or you, if it was you) got right was that the ball was overthrown.

Morgan may not have been able to catch the ball, but the DB did have a chance and Morgan just quit on the play! The ball only looked 5 yards overthrown because Morgan quit on the play. He didn't challenge the DB at all. He didn't get into possition to make a tackle if the DB came down with the pick. He just quit.

So he caught 4 balls for 12 y/c and maybe I'm being hard on him for the one play, but that one play just made me want to puke.

I know he will make the team and should, but he hasn't done much to earn a spot (yes, I read what you wrote, I just don't agree that it was that significant).
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:41 am

ATX_Skins wrote:So do you feel he still should have a roster spot to this point? I personally do not think he has done enough at WR to earn one. Now, if he were to bring one to the house every game that may change my opinion.


According to Mikes stipulation, it's my opinion that his skills at WR aren't good enough to make the team. However, I feel that his ability (and stats show it) to return balls is worth a spot. He's tops in the league. This team is not good enough to leave talent on the way-side.


ATX_Skins wrote:Now, if he were to bring one to the house every game that may change my opinion.


This is totally unrealistic and I hope that you're joking. This dude provides great field position (which isn't too hard to come by). He is a threat to return a punt every time he get his hands on the ball and he showed the other day that IF HE GETS PROPER BLOCKING, he can do it. He also causes miscues because teams shank punts, or give up distance on the punts when trying to gameplan against him.

It's my opinion that had he received proper blocking thus far in his tenure, this wouldn't be a debate. He'd have at least 3 or more TD's under his belt. TD's that would have won games because we lose a lot of single digit games.

But as a WR, he's not good. If Mike is adamant in his stance, he won't make the team. However, Mike has a HARD decision to make. IMO, he has to keep Banks. Why? We've seen this play out before... Banks will get picked up. And he'll go to a team that can black worth a d***. And he'll have major success. So instead of making Banks the scapegoat, Danny needs to dig in these guys backsides and get them blocking properly.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii
Posts: 4653
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:56 am

It's not like he's replacing tana in the slot every second down guys.. hiss skills for a number six receiver are fine. Gadget wildcat reverses and go routes.. he doesn't need to be the best route runner in any of those scenarios but poses a threat in all of em.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:It's not like he's replacing tana in the slot every second down guys.. hiss skills for a number six receiver are fine. Gadget wildcat reverses and go routes.. he doesn't need to be the best route runner in any of those scenarios but poses a threat in all of em.


I agree that his 6th receiver skills are fine, but, if you keep Banks as your 6th receiver, what are you going to do with Robinson?

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am

Red_One43 wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:It's not like he's replacing tana in the slot every second down guys.. hiss skills for a number six receiver are fine. Gadget wildcat reverses and go routes.. he doesn't need to be the best route runner in any of those scenarios but poses a threat in all of em.


I agree that his 6th receiver skills are fine, but, if you keep Banks as your 6th receiver, what are you going to do with Robinson?


To play devils advocate, I ask you this...

Banks has proven that he can be a game-changing player in the NFL when it counts. What has Aldrick done other than show promise? What impact will Aldrick make at the #6 spot, and will that impact be greater than what Banks brings at PR/KR?

Mikes in a tough position.

sidebar: Remember when folks here through a complete BF about cutting Gafney?! LOLOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football