Why not Do it Again....WRs.. Who stays - Who goes?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I have no idea who wrote this:

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close.

but if that was you you saw that play with very rosey colored glasses. The only thing they (or you, if it was you) got right was that the ball was overthrown.

Morgan may not have been able to catch the ball, but the DB did have a chance and Morgan just quit on the play! The ball only looked 5 yards overthrown because Morgan quit on the play. He didn't challenge the DB at all. He didn't get into possition to make a tackle if the DB came down with the pick. He just quit.

So he caught 4 balls for 12 y/c and maybe I'm being hard on him for the one play, but that one play just made me want to puke.

I know he will make the team and should, but he hasn't done much to earn a spot (yes, I read what you wrote, I just don't agree that it was that significant).

I wrote what was in yellow and I completely disagree with you. :shock:

I don't know how often you reviewed the play. I wondered what happened live and thought he may have quit on it. I watched it again with the pre-conceived notion that he quit. He did not. He found the bad ball, veered, leaped, twisted, reached, came up short (4 or 5 yards) and watched the defender drop it. THEN he stopped and ran back. The time between the ball passing over his outsrteched, leaping, twisted body and the drop by the DB was less than half a second.

You have Morgan quitting when I have him looking for the ball which was too high and behind him. :-k

Viewing my DVR changed my mind. My glasses were anything but rose colored. Monkey

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:It's not like he's replacing tana in the slot every second down guys.. hiss skills for a number six receiver are fine. Gadget wildcat reverses and go routes.. he doesn't need to be the best route runner in any of those scenarios but poses a threat in all of em.

I agree that his 6th receiver skills are fine, but, if you keep Banks as your 6th receiver, what are you going to do with Robinson?

To play devils advocate, I ask you this...

Banks has proven that he can be a game-changing player in the NFL when it counts. What has Aldrick done other than show promise? What impact will Aldrick make at the #6 spot, and will that impact be greater than what Banks brings at PR/KR?

Mikes in a tough position.

sidebar: Remember when folks here through a complete BF about cutting Gafney?! LOLOL

Answer to question 1, Promise?

We are done with promise - Aldrick has produced. We are not just talking about catching the ball in preseason. Marko Mitchell did that.

Robinson is an explosive receiver. When is the last time, preseason or regular, that we have seen that kind of explosive speed (other than Banks) take it to the house. The guy can catch the tough balls -- diving catch and deflected catch. He can run routes. Check out out the game again and look how he gets separation with his precise cuts. Receiver potential/promise acheived.

Question 2, 6th Receiver Spot, Impact? Edge definitely goes to Banks. Banks gives you the explosive kick returns from that slot. Aldrick has not yet shown that he can return kicks. He looked lost on the KOR. We don't know if Robinson has the mental to do the gadgets. Banks' proven "can do" spirit is second to none.

Answer to Question 2a, Impact greater than?

The greater impact most likely goes to Banks because he would handle the ball more. I can argue that Austin scored a TD last year (what slot was he - arternating with Stallworth for active/inactive for the 6 and 7th slot), so Aldrick, because of his skills, would definitely have a bigger impact than Austin, but that still wouldn't make his impact great than Banks because he would handle the ball more. .

Now, think like a Shanny (at least attempt to):

Shanny invested a year into Aldrick. After Aldrick's disasterous rookie preseason campaign, he should have cut him, but he kept him for his potential. Why would Shanny cut him now when his efforts in developing Aldrick are now coming to fruition? Also, Moss is proabably in his last season, Aldrick is the perfect replacement for him.

Shanny either keeps him or trades him if the value is right. Shanny gets 1000 yard rushers and at times traded them. We know the Jags tried to pry Aldrick off our PS last year, you can bet after the last two preseason games, he has gotten attention from the scouts.

Shanny is still salivating over what he can do with Banks. He likes the guy for his work ethic and "can do" spirit.

Shanny keeps him.

7 receivers (unless a trade for Aldrick comes). Best 53 make the team.

Note* If Aldrick does show an ability to return punts in the same explosive manner that we saw him take it to the house on the reception, Then it is a tough decision.

I still say he keeps 7 - Double the pleasure! Double the fun! Two blazing speedsters are better than one.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

After underthrowing Banks, Cousins overthrows Morgan by 5 yards. No one should have a problem with Morgan's effort here. Morgan sights badly thrown ball, adjusts, leaps, extends arm, and comes up short. The ball is WAY overthrown. Not even close.

but if that was you you saw that play with very rosey colored glasses. The only thing they (or you, if it was you) got right was that the ball was overthrown.

Morgan may not have been able to catch the ball, but the DB did have a chance and Morgan just quit on the play! The ball only looked 5 yards overthrown because Morgan quit on the play. He didn't challenge the DB at all. He didn't get into possition to make a tackle if the DB came down with the pick. He just quit.

So he caught 4 balls for 12 y/c and maybe I'm being hard on him for the one play, but that one play just made me want to puke.

I know he will make the team and should, but he hasn't done much to earn a spot (yes, I read what you wrote, I just don't agree that it was that significant).

I don't know how often you reviewed the play. I wondered what happened live and thought he may have quit on it. I watched it again with the pre-conceived notion that he quit. He did not. He found the bad ball, veered, leaped, twisted, reached, came up short (4 or 5 yards) and watched the defender drop it. THEN he stopped and ran back. The time between the ball passing over his outsrteched, leaping, twisted body and the drop by the DB was less than half a second.

You have Morgan quitting when I have him looking for the ball which was too high and behind him. :-k

Viewing my DVR changed my mind. My glasses were anything but rose colored. Monkey

DarthMonk

I admit too that I thought he had quit and further I was in agreement with Skinsfan33 after the game. I watched the game again and now, I have to agree with DarthMonk's assessment, just as he wrote it. Skinsfan33, I would suggest checking it out again. If you still disgree, I would be interested in you postng your blow by blow description of that play.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm

I feel that Morgan has played well in the limited action we've seen. #shrug
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:21 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

DarthMonk

I admit too that I thought he had quit and further I was in agreement with Skinsfan33 after the game. I watched the game again and now, I have to agree with DarthMonk's assessment, just as he wrote it. Skinsfan33, I would suggest checking it out again. If you still disgree, I would be interested in you postng your blow by blow description of that play.

I deleted that game not too long after it was over, but I watched that play MANY times. However if someone had access to a link that still has that video (other than the entire game - DSL is WAY TOO SLOW FOR THAT) I am open minded and would look at it again. Maybe I'm remebering it incorrectly, but I don't think so.

I was high on Morgan prior to that play and I am completely turn off to him now.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 pm

This team had David Anderson at receiver last year. Let's not get picky. For the first time in years, we will have to cut someone who can make another team. #Progress
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

John Keim‏@john_keim

Shanahan raved about Aldrick Robinson's 49-yard catch and run again today. Read between the lines here

I agree Keim on this one.
This is why Shanahan drafted Aldrick

Notice how he catches the ball with his hands.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Redskins‏@Redskins

Shanahan says WR Aldrick Robinson's route running was "very average last year." Says he is a pro and hard work has paid off for him.

Shanny is a stickler for route running. Will we see a different AAA out there this Saturday? AAA has got to show that he has made improvement as well.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
John Keim‏@john_keim

Shanahan raved about Aldrick Robinson's 49-yard catch and run again today. Read between the lines here

I agree Keim on this one.
This is why Shanahan drafted Aldrick

Notice how he catches the ball with his hands.

Noticed a lot of catching with hands by all the Patriots last night. Robinson has certainly looked good to me.

Thanks.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 am

Red_One43 wrote:[
We are done with promise - Aldrick has produced. We are not just talking about catching the ball in preseason. Marko Mitchell did that.

When? This preseason and in one game? Maybe that's what counted as "proving yourself" around here in the past but that doesn't cut it.

He flashed the potential that he was drafted for but that's far from proving anything.

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 am

Garçon, Moss, Hankerson, Morgan, Robinson, Briscoe, Banks

That's who I would keep. But I don't really know nothing about nothing.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:07 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:[

When? This preseason and in one game? Maybe that's what counted as "proving yourself" around here in the past but that doesn't cut it.

He flashed the potential that he was drafted for but that's far from proving anything.

First of all, preseason games are only a small part of Shanahan's evaluation of any player. Practice is major indicator. As a matter of fact, if a player doesn't show it in practice, Shanny believes that that is how he will play in games, so there is no reason to give them reps.

The preseason games are a chance for Shanny to see if what the player does in practice translates to game conditions (Shanny said RBs need to be evaluated in games).

A receiver doesn't need to catch a lot of passes in a game to be evaluated. Some fans and media often think so - See Marko Mitchell.
Shanny extremely values route running (getting separation) - posted that on this thread. Also look at the AAA comment a couple of posts above this one. He values how you catch the ball. Attention to detail (big one too). Blocking. Concentration. Work ethic. The only one that AR probably didn't get high marks is the blocking which is understandable for his size. Early on in practice, AR was getting bad marks in concentration, but all reports from the media indicated that he overcame that. The twopreseason games, not one game, allowed Aldrick to show that what he was doing in practices translated into game conditions.

On the flipside. By the strength of his practice perfromance, Banks earned a shot to tanslate it into game conditions. Though overall he didn't deliver, there were some bright spots. He is a playmaker and he got open deep twice - one with an excellent move. When the ball hit his hands he caught it. He had control of his feet on that sideline catch that was out of bounds. That INC was on Grossman. Banks was open and caught the ball with his hands. A lot of folks started counting Banks out because of his game performance at WR. Granted he failed at route running - slipping three times, because he was makinghis cuts precise like Shanny wants, but his practice performance and work ethic show that he can get better. All was not lost on that one night for Banks and I am not saying all was gained on the two nights by Robinson.

Robinson - good practices and two good games = favorite to be on the 53 (only ST keeps him form being a lock)
Banks - good practices and a major flaw in a game - Not all is lost especially with the reminder PR TD

Mike Shanahan's philosophy on practice:
You have to practice at game speed. If you don't, how do you expect to play perfectly on game day? ... We want our players to be so disciplined that their reactions are instinctive ... But if you approach things on a day- to- day basis, then you have a chance for greatness.

Think Like a Champion (pp. 12-13)

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 am

AAA knows the deck is stacked against him:
“Unfortunately, I’m coming off of a bad season, so it’s usually kind of, what have you done for me lately?” Armstrong said. “Hopefully there’s enough good back in 2010 that weighs heavily on their mind that, ‘OK, he can definitely get back to this level of play,’ but you know, once again, I’ve just got to go out there and make plays and be able to perform at a high level.”

That is, except for Saturday. Seeing that Robinson needed a break late in the Redskins’ 33-31 loss at Chicago, Armstrong ran onto the field and played one snap, mostly without the permission of his coaches.

He could have played,” head coach Mike Shanahan said. “He told me he was ready to go. I was a little bit hesitant, and that’s why he didn’t play. If somebody went down, we could have played him, but I didn’t want to if we didn’t have to.”

Why didn't Shanny play Armstrong? Go with Shanny's consistent sayings and actions rather than the above. Consistently Shanny has said that you don't practice you don't play (of course, if you are a stud, that rule goes out the door in the regular season). AAA took off the yellow jersey for one practice and he saw limited duty. With practices closed, we won't know until the Colts game how he is doing.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:24 am

Shanahan on Aldrick:
“It was very average last year and he had to learn to be a pro and he has gotten better through this offseason,” Shanahan said of Robinson’s knowledge of the offense. “It’s really helped him and you can see the rewards [in] how he has handled himself in game situations. That one play that he made [Saturday] was really impressive."

"learn to be a pro" - same thing he said for Banks
"he has gotten better through the offseason - same thing he said about Banks

I see these statements as positives, but generic. It is better that he says them than not, but he pretty much says like statments about all the players.

"knowledge of the offense" - this is a strong statement
"handled himself in game situations" - this statement is more than just catching passes. To me, this statement says that Aldrick is coming of age as a professional receiver and Shanny has taken note.

Aldrick on Aldrick:
“I showed that can make big plays, and I am a big play guy,” Robinson said. “But I have to do it game in and game out. You have to be consistent, and that’s the main thing Coach [Mike] Shanahan is looking for – consistency.”

Aldrick is not going rest on his laurels and take it easy on his next opportunities. He also knows that consistency means practices as well as games.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

When he does something in the regular season, it'll count. Preseason and practice awesomeness dont mean a darn thing.

If practice won games, Taylor Jacobs would be king.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football