Redskins/Cowboys file grievance against NFL

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:03 am

Completely off topic:

Message Board/Chat room/Internet tough guys make me laugh.

That is all.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:No. It is not a private matter!!!!!! And Yes, it is we that took it in the shorts.

At least I'm assuming you go to at least some games and watch the team on TV and have some merchandise. Where do you think that $18M came from? It isn't Monopoly money. All the fans of the Washington Redskins paid that $18M that the NFL is allowing other teams to spend.

So we, and yes I mean we, gave the Redskins that $18M with the intent to get some entertainment and hopefully make the team better. The NFL broke the trust of our fans group by stealing our money and giving it to other teams.

If we have any lawyers on this site, anyone up for a class action law suit against the NFL; Asking for our #18M back and damages?

I'm still mad about this, but I think it's worth pointing out that no money has been "stolen" from Redskins fans. The $18m has not just been spirited away - the Redskins spent it two years ago, in the uncapped year. Unless Redskins fans are going to make the argument that we all spent extra money on merchandise in the uncapped year in order to facilitate increased free agency activity?

We're going to have to face the fact that the Redskins tried to outsmart the other NFL owners, and got walloped with a big stick. What the Redskins did WAS legal, but was against the "spirit" of the gentleman's club that is the NFL. The punishment isn't legal, but the whole fabric of the CBA isn't really legal. And if Dan Snyder wants to take things further, he risks getting caught up in the same firestorm that would engulf all the other owners.

SO why weren't the other dozen or so teams that didn't conduct themselves within the "spirit" of the gentleman's agreement get punished too? There were mant teams that his cap space in the uncapped year just like us and the Cowgirls and then you have the Tampa Bays that gained even more of a competative advantage by not spending anything.

As far as a class action law suit goes, if a old ladie can get millions of dollars from McDonalds because she was an idiot and spilled coffee on herself or smokers that sued the Tobaco industry for their health problem or drunks that sue (insert companies that make alcohol) for ruining their lives can get money, then so can we.

I supported my team finacially. The money that the NFL gave to those other 28 teams came from me, you, and even some Cowgirl fans. I never intended for one cent of my money to ever go to support other teams.

100% a good lawyer could make a case on behalf of the Skins and Girls fans that they were wronged by the NFL and are due some compensation for the fact that the NFL is using OUR money to help make other teams better!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:07 am

Countertrey wrote:Your snide attempt at adolescent condescension aside, the FACT is, YOU get to suck up and deal... or whine like a baby.

I completely agree with that. What other choice do I as a fan have? On the other hand, what's wrong with vocally complaining about a wrong? Why shouldn't Redskins fans complain loudly to let the NFL, Goodell, Snyder, all the other owners know this is BS and we're not happy with it? WE are their freaking customers.

Go ask Target what happens when people start complaining loudly on the Internet when they've ticked off their customers. Go ask Rush Limbaugh about it.

Countertrey wrote:It is completely a private matter. Notice that there has been no discussion of the documentation that accompanied the ruling... you have no right to it... and unless the league, the union, or the plaintiffs get stupid, you and I will probably never know exactly what the ruling was.

So much for that theory. Somebody already posted the ruling to this message board.

Countertrey wrote:You don't have to like it... but, it's not your business, nor is it mine.

With all due respect, its just a nitpicking point. Like when fans say "we" won or "we" lost a game, some jerk telling them that they don't actually play the game.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I never intended for one cent of my money to ever go to support other teams.

100% a good lawyer could make a case on behalf of the Skins and Girls fans that they were wronged by the NFL and are due some compensation for the fact that the NFL is using OUR money to help make other teams better!

Are you familiar with revenue sharing?
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:12 am

die cowboys die wrote:the Redskins and Cowboys must STRIKE as entire organizations and refuse to participate in the NFL until this outrageous injustice is rightfully overturned and that Burbank guy is FIRED. he is obviously either a complete idiot or has no integrity and was either bribed or otherwise coerced into caving to the NFL's outrageous stance. go ahead and let them try and conduct an NFL season with 2 of their most popular teams missing.

I hate to defend him, but I don't think Burbank is really the issue. IMO he probably actually ruled correctly that the current rules meant that the Redskins couldn't take this to arbitration but could only be settled in an actual lawsuit.

The f-d up part of that ruling is that the NFL wasn't playing by the rules with the salary cap penalty. Then they hide behind the rules by not allowing it to be settled in arbitration. Massively hypocritical and kind of a catch-22.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 am

emoses14 wrote:Completely off topic:

Message Board/Chat room/Internet tough guys make me laugh.

That is all.

They call that "internet muscles". Close relative to "liquid courage".

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:16 am

BTW Florio has a source suggesting the fight might not actually be over:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-be-over/

Moreover, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the fight may not be over. Technically, that wouldn’t be inconsistent with Burbank’s decision, because he plainly stated at the end of his 12-page ruling that the teams “retain whatever remedies they may have against [the NFL] under contract and agency law.”

So until the Redskins or Cowboys say it’s completely over, it’s not completely over. And until it’s completely over, there’s a chance one or both teams will sue the NFL under theories like breach of contract and/or breach of fiduciary duty.

In other words, don’t put your popcorn away just yet.

I actually don't think the Redskins should take this all the way. However, filing a lawsuit or walking it right up to the brink might be the only way to force the NFL's hand. They DO NOT want this issue to go to court.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I still say the us fans should file a class action law suit against the NFL and John Mara!
I doubt you have any legal standing... but knock yourself out.
Last edited by Countertrey on Wed May 23, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:36 am

riggofan wrote:
die cowboys die wrote:the Redskins and Cowboys must STRIKE as entire organizations and refuse to participate in the NFL until this outrageous injustice is rightfully overturned and that Burbank guy is FIRED. he is obviously either a complete idiot or has no integrity and was either bribed or otherwise coerced into caving to the NFL's outrageous stance. go ahead and let them try and conduct an NFL season with 2 of their most popular teams missing.

I hate to defend him, but I don't think Burbank is really the issue. IMO he probably actually ruled correctly that the current rules meant that the Redskins couldn't take this to arbitration but could only be settled in an actual lawsuit.

The up part of that ruling is that the NFL wasn't playing by the rules with the salary cap penalty. Then they hide behind the rules by not allowing it to be settled in arbitration. Massively hypocritical and kind of a catch-22.
That is pretty much dead on... just a corrupt shell game.
Last edited by Countertrey on Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:40 am

andyjens89 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I never intended for one cent of my money to ever go to support other teams.

Are you familiar with revenue sharing?

I truly loathe and despise the use of the word "this" used by users of message boards to indicate their agreement with the words of the previous poster. But, on this occasion, and this once only, until the next time, I say this to indicate the nodding of my head to the words of andyjens89:

this.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed May 23, 2012 10:41 am

LOL

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:

The up part of that ruling is that the NFL wasn't playing by the rules with the salary cap penalty. Then they hide behind the rules by not allowing it to be settled in arbitration. Massively hypocritical and kind of a catch-22.
That is pretty much dead on... just a corrupt shell game.

+2
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 23, 2012 10:53 am

The fact is that anybody with a spare 10 million dollars and some free time on their hands could muster the necessary legal forces to challenge the whole artificial legal construct that is the NFL and its collective bargaining agreement. But I would be staggered if Dan Snyder is that man, because to do so would expose him and every other owner as guilty of collusion in almost every other aspect of the financial running of the league.

The Danny has been shafted, but he's been shafted by the same organisations and devices which, in almost every other aspect, work to his benefit as a businessman. It's a marriage of convenience which, on this occasion, has gone through a rough spell. But that will pass, leaving everybody to tolerate each other's existence again, with no thought of killing each other, or the goose that continues to lay golden eggs for them all.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 23, 2012 11:03 am

But now we hear that the NFLPA is filing a collusion suit against the NFL and owners for restricting player salaries during the uncapped year. Wow.

Presumably, the Redskins and Cowboys will not be named in the suit? Otherwise, the irony would be huge - the NFLPA signing off on the cap penalties was probably the best card that the owners had in their hand. I can't believe that the NFLPA would now include the Redskins and Cowboys in any suit.

But I am already preparing to be surprised.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 23, 2012 11:09 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:But now we hear that the NFLPA is filing a collusion suit against the NFL and owners for restricting player salaries during the uncapped year. Wow.

Do you have a link for this? I don't see how they can sue now after agreeing to the cap penalties; that pretty much said they were ok with the collusion as long as the players got the money from somewhere. They should have said "up yours" to the cap penalties, and sued then, not now. :roll:

Edit: I see the link now in ATL.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football