HELP with traffic ticket

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

HELP with traffic ticket

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi all,
A few on you here are super knowledgeable about the law, etc.

I got a "speeding" ticket going 41 on a 30 zone. It was marked, the cop said, but I need to go back a double check.

I turned onto a street which was slanting uphill just a bit. I did accelerate a little and a motorcycle cop was in the median between NB/SB facing me. He was moving and not stopped. I saw him and proceeded to slow down but not abruptly. He made U turn and I felt in my heart that he was coming for me... YES, I was right. He pulled me over.

I pleaded my case and asked for mercy. He didn't accommodate.
I asked him if had radar on me and he said he has "onboard" mobile radar.

QUESTION:
1. Is there such a radar that detects you moving as cop is also moving?
2. Do the motorcycle cop have them on there bikes?

I'm in Cali and tickets as not joke here.

thanks
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Yes, and Yes. I fear you are about to lose some cash, my friend.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm

11 miles over.........is that a big crime?
Traffic School online...?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:02 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:11 miles over.........is that a big crime?

Wish I could tell you, buddy. California, believe it or not, is less costly than many other states... Probably just a fine... the real cost may be an increase in your insurance premium...

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:17 pm

Sheriff GONNA GETCHA.........!!!

Thanks buddy

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:52 pm

I fought the law, and the law won.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:07 pm

In my line of work, tickets are an occupational hazard. I can't say what works in Cali but here are some things that work in VA

1) if you know a "friend" who works at a mechanic shop, have him check your speedometer's calibration. If it's off, have him fix it and take it to court. In most cases the charge is dropped or changed to a non-moving violation. I say "friend" because a) it doesn't have to be someone you know, but maybe a friend-of-a-friend and b) friends tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and might look a little harder to make sure your calibration is correct.

The fact is, it doesn't have to be off by much. Even a little bit can be a lot at speed.

2) Go to court and ask for a continuance. When the judge asks why, tell him it's because you are trying to have your speedometer checked but your friend has been unavailable. The judge will give you a stern warning that this is your "one-time" but he'll usually give it to you.

When you return, whether or not you've had the calibration plead not guilty and take your chances.

Sometimes the cops forget to bring paperwork with them. Especially for a case they figure is gonna get tossed on a recalibration. If he has no paperwork, the case gets tossed.

You also have the possibility that his i's aren't dotted and t's not crossed. If his radar hasn't been tested recently (usually within a year) the case gets tossed.

Even if all that fails, you had a better chance than if you just paid the ticket over the phone. Cops generally aren't ready to fight a speeding ticket; nobody does. Most people either pay by phone, or plead it out. I beat two speeding tickets just by showing up. One by radar, and one paced.

Best of luck, hope it helps!
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm

2 here in Jville...

Both times cop was a no show
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:02 pm

The quoted post below is good advice. Here's my My 2 cents :

I was pulled over for going 68 in a 55 and KNEW it was wrong as I was going exactly 55. I got calibrated and it turned out my tires were too large which put my speedometer off by exactly 13 mph at 55! I still paid a fine but it was for "faulty equipment" and carried zero points. It also helps, when push comes to shove, to plead "guilty with explanation." Then you apologize to the city, county, or state and promise to be more careful. It helps. I have saved many dollars and points by doing this.

If you have a very young child bring him or her with you. Dress neatly. Shave. A tie with khakis and worn out leather shoes is a good outfit. You look poor-ish but polite. A suit is overkill.

DarthMonk

Bob 0119 wrote:In my line of work, tickets are an occupational hazard. I can't say what works in Cali but here are some things that work in VA

1) if you know a "friend" who works at a mechanic shop, have him check your speedometer's calibration. If it's off, have him fix it and take it to court. In most cases the charge is dropped or changed to a non-moving violation. I say "friend" because a) it doesn't have to be someone you know, but maybe a friend-of-a-friend and b) friends tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and might look a little harder to make sure your calibration is correct.

The fact is, it doesn't have to be off by much. Even a little bit can be a lot at speed.

2) Go to court and ask for a continuance. When the judge asks why, tell him it's because you are trying to have your speedometer checked but your friend has been unavailable. The judge will give you a stern warning that this is your "one-time" but he'll usually give it to you.

When you return, whether or not you've had the calibration plead not guilty and take your chances.

Sometimes the cops forget to bring paperwork with them. Especially for a case they figure is gonna get tossed on a recalibration. If he has no paperwork, the case gets tossed.

You also have the possibility that his i's aren't dotted and t's not crossed. If his radar hasn't been tested recently (usually within a year) the case gets tossed.

Even if all that fails, you had a better chance than if you just paid the ticket over the phone. Cops generally aren't ready to fight a speeding ticket; nobody does. Most people either pay by phone, or plead it out. I beat two speeding tickets just by showing up. One by radar, and one paced.

Best of luck, hope it helps!
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Best advice I ever got is never plead "guilty with an explanation" your explanation is noted, but you're still guilty. Maybe the judge is nice to you, maybe he isn't.

Not guilty gives you your best shot of total acquittal. It's all or nothing, sure, but at least there's a chance.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:49 am

If you have any cop friends, ask them. They often know how to fight a ticket on technical details.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Deadskins wrote:If you have any cop friends, ask them. They often know how to fight a ticket on technical details.

Sometimes cop friends can talk other cops into making the ticket disappear altogether!

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:26 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:11 miles over.........is that a big crime?

11 miles over is really not a big deal if you have nothing else on your record.

It's a 3-point offense and usually the costs are court fees plus $ x miles over speed limit.

I doubt you'll need traffic school, and I doubt it would help with your insurance. If you've been with your insurance company for a while and have had no tickets or at-fault accidents, they'll probably look the other way on it without raising your rates.

Other things they consider is your age, the car you drive, and the area you live in as risk factors. If your under 25, have only had your license for a couple of years and live in a "high risk" neighborhood you might see an increase. The longer you've been driving, the older you are, and the few amount of infractions lessens the likelihood they'll stick it to you at renewal.

Traffic school will give you 5+ points, and will make your driving record look better, but at the end of the day, insurance companies are more concerned with your actual driving behavior. As an agent once told me "anybody can sleep through an 8-hour defensive driving course, but it doesn't mean much if they don't apply what they've learned."

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Helps to be with a good insurance company, too...

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm

USAA if you can get it.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Return to The Lounge