Ouch! Nasty Rugby Incident

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Hog

Ouch! Nasty Rugby Incident

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:21 am

I know you guys must like good contact sport so every now and then I'll post a clip of some good rugby, either skillful or hard-hitting.

This one though is of a nasty injury...

Clark gets 32-week ban for breaking opponent's arm
England hopeful Calum Clark's rugby career is on hold after he was made to pay a hefty price for foul play during a showpiece cup final.

Northampton forward Clark has been banned for 32 weeks by Rugby Football Union disciplinary chiefs, meaning the England elite squad member cannot play again until 2 November.

Clark, 22, was cited after an incident during Northampton's LV= Cup final defeat against Leicester 12 days ago, and then suspended indefinitely by his club.

Clark, who captained Saints in the final, was reported for an act contrary to good sportsmanship, allegedly hyperextending Leicester hooker Rob Hawkins' right arm.

It left Hawkins with a broken elbow and requiring surgery, sidelining him for the rest of this season.

Clark's suspension of more than seven months is among the longest handed out to a senior English player during rugby union's 16-and-a-half-year professional era.

But television footage of the incident at Sixways could have left few people in any doubt about its severity.

Pictures showed former Bath forward Hawkins reeling away in agony from a 21st-minute ruck. It was an incident that enraged Leicester rugby director Richard Cockerill.

In a statement the RFU said: "Calum Clark of Northampton Saints was suspended for 32 weeks for an act contrary to good sportsmanship - Law 10(4) (M).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfOcZrx ... r_embedded

"Clark pleaded guilty to hyperextending the right arm of Leicester Tigers' Rob Hawkins during the LV= Cup final at Sixways on March 17.

"The suspension will run from March 22 to the November 1. He is free to play again on November 2, 2012.

"Clark is ordered to pay hearing costs of £500. The full judgement will be made available tomorrow. The player has the right to appeal."

Northampton have so far given no indication as to whether they will appeal Clark's punishment.

Clark is the second Northampton forward to receive a lengthy ban this week after club skipper and England hooker Dylan Hartley landed an eight-week suspension for biting Ireland flanker Stephen Ferris' finger during an RBS 6 Nations game on 17 March.

Hartley will be available for England's three-Test summer tour to South Africa and the Aviva Premiership final at Twickenham on May 26, should play-off contenders Saints get there.

But Clark faces a far longer period of time in which to contemplate his actions that left an opposition player seriously injured.

A former England Under-20 skipper who joined Northampton from Leeds Carnegie, Clark is among a promising array of young back-row talent currently available to newly-appointed England head coach Stuart Lancaster.

Northampton may appeal the decision.

In a statement, Saints said: "The disciplinary panel found that Calum Clark had not intended to injure Rob Hawkins in the course of moving his arm.

"Accordingly, the unfortunate injury suffered by Rob Hawkins was unintentional. In the light of that finding of the disciplinary panel, Northampton Saints is bound to express concern and disappointment at the imposition of such a long suspension, even after significant mitigation in recognition in what was accepted to be Calum Clark's genuine remorse.

"Accordingly, the club is bound to consider the merits of an appeal. No further comment will be made at this time."
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 am

Ouch! What a dirty move. I understand Rugby's a rough game, but there's no need for that kind of rubbish.
"Givin'em the Business!"

Hog

Postby 44diesel » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:28 am

Now, I don't know much about rugby, but i know a great stiff arm when I see one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlQQEh0g5M

Wow! :shock: One part stiff arm, one part choke slam!
"Givin'em the Business!"

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:37 pm

44diesel wrote:Now, I don't know much about rugby, but i know a great stiff arm when I see one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlQQEh0g5M

Wow! :shock: One part stiff arm, one part choke slam!

Bronco Naugurski or Jim Riggins would have been proud to have a stiff-arm like that.

On the original injury, it's hard to judge that it was intentional...just hard to see under the pile of players.

While rugby is a tough sport, I wonder if there are fewer injuries because players wear no padding...in particular, no helmets. I have a hunch that more players are hurt in the NFL -- note the head-injury lawsuit -- because a player uses the helmet, neck-brace, shoulder-pads partly as a weapon.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:11 pm

While rugby is a tough sport, I wonder if there are fewer injuries because players wear no padding...in particular, no helmets. I have a hunch that more players are hurt in the NFL -- note the head-injury lawsuit -- because a player uses the helmet, neck-brace, shoulder-pads partly as a
weapon

Oh absolutely. I'll post some good rugby hits on here later to illustrate what I mean, but a tackle in rugby is a more skillful thing to attempt than in football, because you need to ensure you don't harm yourself in the process.

Your head is at risk from other heads, knees, elbows, etc so accuracy and timing are critical.

Some players wear head gear of a leather type like in the old days of football, but I think that's more to protect their ears than anything else. In rugby there's this thing where players can twist and rip opponets ears in scrums where the referee is unsighted. Amongst other things...

:shock:

The hitting in rugby can lack the explosivness of the NFL because the players don't have the protection to throw themselves into opponents without fear of injury and also because they're out there for the whole game so are more tired.

That said, it's thrilling to watch at times, the hand speed in full flight can be breathtaking and the hits are impressive when they do come because of the manner of their execution.

I love both sports for those same reasons bizarrely!

Hog

Hard Rugby Hits!

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Here as promised is a wee collection of bone-shuddering hard hits with not a bit of padding in sight!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDNRleJSfoE

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:52 am

Awful.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to The Lounge