Why Can't We Find Gems In The 3rd Round

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Note - You agree that the one 3rd round pick of Shanny - Hankerson - is a possibility of being a Pro Bowler.


um, u have me confused with someone else on here. I would not be dumb enough to even mention Leonard hankerson in a sentence that involves professional football yet let alone surmise that that guy who's currently just a body among hundreds of other bodies is a pro bowl possibility. only a redskin fan future casts their own average players.


Question for you, Poster. Why are bashing an FO that is no longer with the team? Sure Synder his here, but he isn't involved in drafting.



first of all, I'm not bashing. I'm stating facts. bashing implies a lack of grounded knowledge on the subject. I know your teams drafting record, fact, terrible. I know your teams on the field records, fact, sucked.

like any company, if it is failing, people go up he ladder to the head honcho. football is no different. what you fail to understand and appreciate the significance of and what I know is that ALL coaches and ALL gms and ALL players are merely temporary employees. coaches stay for what like 5 years now. gms similar. players the same.

don't get too comfortable with shanahan or Allen.....in a few years they'll be gone too. that's just the way the league works, moreso in d.c. the only constant will be Snyder. and you have the worst owner in the sport and your favorite team will suffer for the next 30 years..any winning they do will be in spite of him.

so back to the original point.....name me some pro bowlers the REDSKINs have discovered in the Snyder era after the 3rd round...

I spot you Chris Cooley, the guy they used a second rounder and a third rounder to select him....take it from there..what else u got for me...go....

#33
Posts: 4081
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 am

Let me correct something. Of you give up a future 2nd round pick for a current year 3rd. The pick either cost you a 3rd or a future 2nd.

You can't claim the pick cost both. I contend that w only had to give up that future 2nd because we had stupidly teased or 2004 3rd for Mark Boonell. So MB is who actually cost the 2005 2nd. But either way, Cooley either cost a 2004 3rd our a 2005 2nd, you can't claim both.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 am

the poster wrote:
No ego here.

it absolutely is. listen, every single fan has ego invested, regardless of team or sport they follow. their choice to BE a fan of a team ALONE is rooted in ego.

Nah.


all about definitions. You share an unrealistic definition with many in the mainstream that anything short of domination = sucking.

ok, there's your first mistake. or lie. or whatever it is. go ahead....show me where I stated either one dominates or they suck? forget it, don't waste your time, I never said that.

When did I say that you actually admitted that was your definition?


but I did define what I consider "a good football season". it's my definition. we obviously won't agree on it. you've got a lower bar for your definition (and it's not a coincidence that you're a redskins fan because without a low bar you'd have NO argument).

I'm noticing a theme in this post: because I'm a Redskins fan, I can't have a reasonable definition of what counts as a good or mediocre team. Well, there is literally no arguing with that, because I am a Redskins fan so anything I say can be discounted by that fact alone. The fact that I hold the same bar for any team in the league won't matter.


you mention the redskins of 2005 and 2007. they were 1-2 in the playoffs and if I'm not mistaken both were having typical pitiful redskin seasons (under .500) until the last month. your only argument in TWELVE seasons are these two teams,

"My only argument"? Just what do you think I was arguing?


ok, look what you had me do, though. you're a good defense attorney. look at how much time you had me spend on those two seasons. care to talk about the records of the TEN other seasons?????

Mediocre to poor.



I personally count seasons that have poor records but a clear trend of building strength to be "mediocre."

yeah whatever dude. you sound like a little weasel. just read your sentence again. it sounds like the pathetic murmurs of a loser mentality.

OK, I read it again. It sounds reasonable to me, not weaselly. In my view, winning teams in the NFL don't come out of nowhere; they almost never go from "pathetic" to "good" overnight. There are systems in place, leadership, depth, etc., that all have to be built.

Not sure how this is controversial, but then again this is the internet, so perhaps I should have known better.


and you resign yourself to both bottom feeding tactics....tell you what...you will have succeeded in this argument when you decide to quit while you're behind and your TEAM ( god for bid, redskin fans) backs you up FIRSt and then you can talk, of course, we know that'll never happen..


:lol: Feel better?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ
Posts: 12916
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Why Can't We Find Gems In The 3rd Round

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 am

bigricky wrote:I'm sitting at my desk waiting to go to a boring meeting and looking over mock drafts with at least 3 rounds to see who people are predicting for us in the 3rd. Then I started thinking DAMMMM!!!!! who have we selected in the 3rd over the past 20 years that was a true impact for us and my mind was blank. You have gotta to be kidding me 20 years many different GMs and nothing.

.. only Cooley & Dockery have been regular starters and only Cooley has made the probowl that is a disgrace, if you ask me.
So what should we expect from this years pick?


BIG MISTAKE - DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING, NADA, NOTHING

this franchise has NOT had a FO since Snyder came in


since the end of the 2009 season this franchise has been trying to undo over 10 years of stupidity

Bruce & Mike have made mistakes but they have put this franchise in a position to add a GREAT QB


this franchise will become great again and very soon - GOTTA LOVE IT

it's so great to hear so many fans of other franchises go ballistic about our future - all because they know this represents a HUGE UPSIDE :D


don't worry about the 3rd round draft pick this year - ALL WILL BE WELL when we draft RG3 :wink:
Hail to the Redskins

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Quoted for the truth of the statement asserted (from ESPN's NFC east blog; highlight is mine):

Matt (Washington Township, NJ)


Have you been impressed with how Dan Snyder has kept his word and let Shanny and Bruce Allen do their jobs? Any chance if the 'Skins have another crappy season, Snyder reverts to his old ways?

Dan Graziano (12:39 PM)


I have been, Matt, and I'm surprised how many people still act as though it's Snyder making the decisions when it's clearly not. I think, if Snyder decided to go back to meddling, he'll fire Shanahan first. And I don't know that they can have a bad enough year that that can happen next offseason.



Link for full chat
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ
Posts: 12916
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm

^^^ Just another man's opinion .... but


there is no way that Snyder is ANY part of all that is happening here

Snyder has shown how inept he is at managing - AND this has been VERY obvious for over 10 years

we are now in a position to draft, quite possibly, the best Redskins' QB ... EVER

THERE IS NO WAY that Snyder is any part of that process
Hail to the Redskins

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Let me correct something. Of you give up a future 2nd round pick for a current year 3rd. The pick either cost you a 3rd or a future 2nd.


not surprising, but you're wrong. i clearly stated the redskins used two picks to draft cooley.

(1) the 2nd rounder they gave up to acquire (2) THE PICK THAT THEY USED TO TAKE COOLEY (3rd rounder, 2004).

08 Champ
Posts: 12916
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 pm

am I the only poster here that could give a rat's orifice about what this guy posts

what a load of BS
Hail to the Redskins

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Why Can't We Find Gems In The 3rd Round

Postby the poster » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Bruce & Mike have made mistakes but they have put this franchise in a position to add a GREAT QB


interesting way to phrase that. and you're obviously allowing yourself to dream and take one liberty because apparently Rg3 is a "GREAT QB"

I know this is tough for redskin fans to hear, especially we're are smack in the middle of your favorite part of the year....but let's let him prove it on an NFL field first........

the other part though, "put this franchise in position"

Well, first of all, the only way the two of them could do that is by LOSING A LOT OF GAMES and being near the top of the draft......so kudos to allen and shanahan for their superior ability to field and command a losing team.

But beyond that.......put into position?

You know...you could "put your family into position" to own a Ferrari too, just take out a second mortage on the house. Thats what they've done....we'll see how this las vegas wager works out for them.....i know the skins history....we'll see.......

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm

SkinsJock wrote:am I the only poster here that could give a rat's orifice about what this guy posts

what a load of BS


No, you aren't.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

#33
Posts: 4081
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 am

the poster wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:Let me correct something. Of you give up a future 2nd round pick for a current year 3rd. The pick either cost you a 3rd or a future 2nd.


not surprising, but you're wrong. i clearly stated the redskins used two picks to draft cooley.

(1) the 2nd rounder they gave up to acquire (2) THE PICK THAT THEY USED TO TAKE COOLEY (3rd rounder, 2004).


Now you're flat out wrong. They used a 3rd rounder that they didn't have to get Cooley. To get that 3rd they had to give up a future second. So you can claim he cost a 3rd or a 2nd, but not both.

Think of of this way, if you go to Target in Cleveland to buy your adult diapers, but don't have the $10 dollars in your pocket you might use your credit card. The cost of your diapers right then is $10. If you can't pay your credit card until the following year because your welfare check doesn't give you enough money and you incur a total bill of $15 ($10 plus $5 in INT) you could claim your diapers cost you $10 OR $15, but you certainly can't say they cost $25!

THAT IS WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO, by saying Cooley cost is a third and second!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15740
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 am

Code: Select all
         \|||/       
         (o o)       
,----ooO--(_)-------.
| Please            |
|   don't feed the  |
|     TROLL's !     |
'--------------Ooo--'
        |__|__|     
         || ||       
        ooO Ooo     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how witty your response is.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm

[quote="skinsfan#33]
Now you're flat out wrong. They used a 3rd rounder that they didn't have to get Cooley. To get that 3rd they had to give up a future second. So you can claim he cost a 3rd or a 2nd, but not both.[/quote]

what am I missing here? and like 99.999999 of people of message boards across the world, I admit when Im wrong, but Im struggling to see what you're saying.

So, like I said before, they ALLOCATED two draft picks to getting Cooley.

Same applies to modern times here with RG3. To get RG3 on their roster, they allocated four draft picks on him.

I UNDERSTAND ONLY ONE OF THEM IS ACTUALLY USED TO LITERALLY SELECT HIM but the other 3 picks are required in order to be in a position to select him. Those picks are no longer the property of the redskins so, ergo, 4 draft picks are allocated to RG3.

same principle to Chris Cooley...yes, I know they actually physically drafted Cooley with a 3rd round pick but a 2nd round pick was USED UP in order to acquire the 3rd round pick to draft cooley.

If it wasnt, mister, then you would have had that second round pick to draft another guy in addition to cooley.

what am I missing here?

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16741
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:51 pm

the poster wrote:[quote="skinsfan#33]
Now you're flat out wrong. They used a 3rd rounder that they didn't have to get Cooley. To get that 3rd they had to give up a future second. So you can claim he cost a 3rd or a 2nd, but not both.[/quote]

what am I missing here? and like 99.999999 of people of message boards across the world, I admit when Im wrong, but Im struggling to see what you're saying.

So, like I said before, they ALLOCATED two draft picks to getting Cooley.

Same applies to modern times here with RG3. To get RG3 on their roster, they allocated four draft picks on him.

I UNDERSTAND ONLY ONE OF THEM IS ACTUALLY USED TO LITERALLY SELECT HIM but the other 3 picks are required in order to be in a position to select him. Those picks are no longer the property of the redskins so, ergo, 4 draft picks are allocated to RG3.

same principle to Chris Cooley...yes, I know they actually physically drafted Cooley with a 3rd round pick but a 2nd round pick was USED UP in order to acquire the 3rd round pick to draft cooley.

If it wasnt, mister, then you would have had that second round pick to draft another guy in addition to cooley.

what am I missing here?[/QUOTE]

Other than the ability to properly quote? Let's see

Cooley was selected with a third round pick in a draft where the Redskins didn't have a third round pick. Washington gave up a future pick to get a pick they could use on Cooley, that's notusing two picks takes trade one pick for one pick. The GoDaHell hasn't come up with a way to charge the Skins two picks for one player yet. So it cost them a third round pick OR a future 2nd round pick to get him NOT both
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:38 pm

1niksder wrote:Other than the ability to properly quote?


That ended up being a bit ironic. :lol:
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football