Inside the Koran.....

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Inside the Koran.....

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:04 am

Wow, NatGeo has a special on this topic....very interesting.
I'm kinda confused. This is a very conflicted religion, imo

According to Islam scholars interviewed, the Koran is like a grocery store....you can "buy" whatever you like. Meaning, if you want peace, buy it; if you want war, buy it.

Koran verses give women equal rights, while others show that men rule women.

Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad are all prophets. According to Koran, Jews and Christians are Gods people, along with Muslims.

In Eygpt, teen girls are circumcised. The Bible says: beware of the mutilation....ahh, the mutilation (circumcision cannot save you). Not sure if this practice is throughout Islam.

Both conservatives and extremists can find their support in the Koran.

I discovered that ancient believers once bowed toward Jerusalem UNTIL the Koran instructed them to bow towards Mecca.

Islam contributed greatly to Geometry, Astronomy, medicine, and other subjects.

Instead of destroying the lands they conquered, the warriors from the desert kept structures and buildings and simply added to it.

They are descendants of Ishmael, the son of Abraham, according to the Bible.

Shia (minority) and Sunni divide are like.......the Christians and Catholics divide.

Interesting how Catholics have prayer beads and Muslims have prayer beads too.

The Muslim chanting and rocking back/forth is strange and creepy to me. Jews do this kind of thing too.

I know, I know........I have rambled on and on here. But this was an educational topic for me.

What say you...???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Re: Inside the Koran.....

Postby Deadskins » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:20 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Shia (minority) and Sunni divide are like.......the Christians and Catholics divide.

You realize that Catholics are Christians also, right? I think you meant Protestants, not Christians. Do both Shiites and Sunnis use prayer beads?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 am

Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:Shia (minority) and Sunni divide are like.......the Christians and Catholics divide.

You realize that Catholics are Christians also, right? I think you meant Protestants, not Christians. Do both Shiites and Sunnis use prayer beads?

Yep
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:46 am

Deadskins wrote:

Of course I do....this is what what pundits and clerics said on the show. They said it and I repeated here.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby flamethrower » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 pm

1 small detail. You can have Catholics, and Protestants working side by side with no problem. Can't say the same for Sumni, and Shia Muslims.
Cowturd hater in the house.
Majesty rider in the house.
Cowturd troll owner here
Does Brokeback mountain mean anything to cowturd fanatics?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 am

tribeofjudah wrote: Wow, NatGeo has a special on this topic....very interesting.

I'm kinda confused. This is a very conflicted religion, imo

I find it nteresting too. I also think the Christian religion to be rather conflicted as well.

tribeofjudah wrote:According to Islam scholars interviewed, the Koran is like a grocery store....you can "buy" whatever you like. Meaning, if you want peace, buy it; if you want war, buy it.

Show me the money. Sounds very ... American.

tribeofjudah wrote:Koran verses give women equal rights, while others show that men rule women.

This happen anywhere in the bible? Just asking?

tribeofjudah wrote:Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad are all prophets. According to Koran, Jews and Christians are Gods people, along with Muslims.

Certainly the Old Testament is a Muslim holy book. I'm thinking the New Testament is not and I'm thinking the Old Testament means less to most Christians than the New - unless you want to cite a law.

tribeofjudah wrote:In Eygpt, teen girls are circumcised. The Bible says: beware of the mutilation....ahh, the mutilation (circumcision cannot save you). Not sure if this practice is throughout Islam.

No comment.

tribeofjudah wrote:Both conservatives and extremists can find their support in the Koran.

... and in the Bible.

tribeofjudah wrote:I discovered that ancient believers once bowed toward Jerusalem UNTIL the Koran instructed them to bow towards Mecca.

That's the contribution to geometry quoted below! Just kidding.

tribeofjudah wrote:Islam contributed greatly to Geometry, Astronomy, medicine, and other subjects. Instead of destroying the lands they conquered, the warriors from the desert kept structures and buildings and simply added to it.

We could learn from this. It's one of the reasons they contributed to math. They saved the stuff.

tribeofjudah wrote:They are descendants of Ishmael, the son of Abraham, according to the Bible.

Not to mention Adam and Eve.

Probably even more divisions. Wonder if it has anything to do with needing a priest or not like the reformation.

tribeofjudah wrote:Interesting how Catholics have prayer beads and Muslims have prayer beads too.

Kinda.

tribeofjudah wrote:The Muslim chanting and rocking back/forth is strange and creepy to me. Jews do this kind of thing too.

I always found the entire congregation thing kinda creepy.

tribeofjudah wrote:I know, I know........I have rambled on and on here. But this was an educational topic for me.

Enjoyed it.

tribeofjudah wrote:What say you...???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgPUhY0UiE

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:57 pm

- Karen Armstrong, a historian of religion, has a couple of good intro to Islam. One on Muhammed, one on Islam in general.

- Another is Michael Sells translation, "Approaching the Quran: Th Early Revelations". As best I remember, Sells says that most Muslims read these verses, and not the verses the fundamentalists use to justify holy war.

- Muslims also believe in the New Testament, more or less, but re-tell it. Jesus is believed to have been crucified, buried, and to have been resurrected. Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet, up there with Moses and Elijah, for instance. Muhammed is thought to be the last of the prophets. Key difference is that Muslims have no notion of the Holy Trinity...Muhammed is a human, Jesus a human; God speaks through them, raises them up, but they are not God incarnate. The Trinity was a tough piece of philosophical theology; the ecumenical church councils all tried to define exactly how Father/Son/Holy Spirit fit together.

- Sunni and Shia are divided over who is the proper successor to Muhammed as religious and political leader of Islam. Key difference with Christianity (in earliest form) was that Islam has no sense of a division between church and state, or "render unto Ceasar" etc. This changed for Christians when Constantine took power; it became a Very Good Idea to turn Christian. Before this, Christians were seen as treasonous atheists (more or less) who failed to worship the Emperor.

- Note, then, that Bin Laden declared himself to be "caliph", which was the old term for the single political/religious leader. He represents a trend of thiugh that began about mi 19th century as Muslims asked "what went wrong?" Some Muslims argued that they should adopt moderned (ie, Western) methods...technology, learning, science, and such. Bin Laden's predecessors said, "Back to the past!"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 am

that was real interesting, thanks for sharing bro!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to The Lounge