Gaffney says Redskins shopping him

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 am

The Hogster wrote:Beck, Doughty & Gaffney = gone.

Restructure Hall

Was told not to come to first two weeks of off season workouts, and that they are trying to trade him. That's $2.65M in space.

Rumor is if they can't trade him he'll be cut
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am

1niksder wrote:

Restructure Hall

Was told not to come to first two weeks of off season workouts, and that they are trying to trade him. That's $2.65M in space.

Looks like RGIII won't have to buy the #10
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:55 am

1niksder wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Restructure Hall

Looks like RGIII won't have to buy the #10

Yes, but he will be missing his second best WR.

Letting him go or trading him DOES NOT improve the team.

So now that the die has been cast on Gaffney, what did we really gain by adding Garcon?

Certainly not a more productive WR or cheaper. He is younger and faster, event hough his Y/C average is right there with Gaffney's. So his results haven't shown his speed.

I guess we got more expensive and younger, but not better at WR!!!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:13 pm

I can't find anything about Gaffney being told not to come to offseason workouts, etc; Source?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 pm

riggofan wrote:I can't find anything about Gaffney being told not to come to offseason workouts, etc; Source?

Reported on ESPN 980, via Chris Russle, who said Gaffney told him the team is trying to trade him in prior to the draft and the team told him (gaffney) not to show up for the first two weeks of off season work outs.

Russle also said that other team sources told him that Gaffney would be released if he isn't traded.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Did they say anything about this being strictly a cap move, or is there some other reason why the coaches might not be happy with Gaffney?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:07 pm

“I was very surprised,” Gaffney said by phone. “I wanted nothing more than to play for the Redskins. I’m still looking forward to a great season with the Redskins, but I was told I don’t have to be up there now. I was told I’m being shopped around. That’s the only reason why I’m not at the voluntary workouts. I’m hoping it all blows over.”

Gaffney, who finished with a career-best 68 catches for 947 yards in his first season with Washington, was involved in a Twitter controversy last week that included several expletive-filled tweets. He later said his account was hacked. Team sources say the organization wasn’t pleased with those tweets; however it’s unclear if those have played any role in this situation.

In Gaffney’s mind, it might have.

“I mean, it went from me still being a big part of the plans to I can look for a better situation,” Gaffney said. “That happened right after the Twitter. I’m not saying it did, maybe it was a coincidence. But it seems real funny. I tried to explain it wasn’t me on Twitter and it really wasn’t. It’s out of my hands. If they don’t want me around I’ll stay down here [in Florida] and continue to work out.”

Figure this could use it's own thread
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

piggie

ESPN 980 Chris Russell: Jabar Gaffney on trade block

Postby fetus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Got to free up #10 for RG3 I guess... this seems like a good move with the plethera of WR's we have and the cap money
RGIII and the terrible D

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:

The team has already been improved during FA. There's only so many balls that can be thrown. Cooley, Davis, Garcon, the 49er, Hankerson, Moss.....

skinsfan#33 wrote:So now that the die has been cast on Gaffney, what did we really gain by adding Garcon?

You must be asking this question because you haven't seen him play. He and the 49er are huge threats for YAC. Speed kills in this league and Garcon has shown what he can do. He was beastly with Peyton and still managed to put up decent #'s on that garbage squad of last year.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 pm

If we get any kind of draft pick for Gaffney it will be a positive. Like CLL eluded to, we have too many WR right now, and not enough balls to go around. Gaffney is a nice posession receiver, nothing more. Don't over-value the guy.

Hog

Postby the poster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:33 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Yes, but he will be missing his second best WR.

there's virtually nobody on the redskins roster that isn't immediately replaceable. what you dont seem to understand is you have a (large) collection of #2, #3, and #4 wide receivers.

Dumping Gaffney wont make the team worse. It wont have any impact at all. Just like he did ON the team.

piggie

Postby jr_uscg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I think we should keep Gaffney. Moss should be the one that should be released. I like him, but his days are numbered. Sorry 89
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby SkinsHead56 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 pm

jr_uscg wrote:I think we should keep Gaffney. Moss should be the one that should be released. I like him, but his days are numbered. Sorry 89

No.

Moss, Garcon, Morgan, Hankerson.....I'll ride with them.
In memorium Sean Taylor 1983-2007 R.I.P.

Long live the Legend of "Meast".

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:30 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
So now that the die has been cast on Gaffney, what did we really gain by adding Garcon?

Certainly not a more productive WR or cheaper. He is younger and faster, event hough his Y/C average is right there with Gaffney's. So his results haven't shown his speed.

I guess we got more expensive and younger, but not better at WR!!!

This was a business decision. But, keep in mind, Gaffney's numbers went up significantly when both Moss & Hankerson got injured. Garcon's numbers came despite him being on the worst team in the NFL and being essentially a #2 WR.

I expect the Skins staff think his speed & YAC potential will be a good complement to RG3 for years to come.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I agree with those cautioning not to over value Gaffney.

He is a good receiver, but not one of the best. We could still use him, but when Shanahan goes after players, he always has in mind their skill set and how they fit into his playbook.

Shanahan said that we need more playmakers on offense - Gaffney isn't a playmaker.

Shanny also has Hank waiting in the wings.

As far as cap being the reason, I would have to agree. Shanahan said that he likes competition, so it would seem that he would let Gaffney compete for a roster spot; however, a $18 million cap hit can make one change their plans.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football