Levon Helm dies

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Skins History Buff

Levon Helm dies

Postby welch » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Awesme musician and human being. I saw his Midnight Ramble twice, most recently this January. It was clear then that he was suffering, only sang one verse of "The Weight", his band's closedown-the-night song. Still a magnificent drummer. Great group of musicians -- an all-star band of studio musicians who live near Woodstock, plus a couple of singers who front their own groups.

Had an operation, then went on the road. Played Chicago just a couple of weeks ago.

I'll be playing "Ramble at the Ryman" as I drive home tonight.

One story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/arts/ ... l?_r=1&hp#

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:16 pm

"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Crap, I just saw him play a year or so ago, when he opened for John Prine. Very sad. RIP Levon.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby BearSkins » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Best drummer I ever saw live. An absolute GENUINE legend and a hero of mine. His drumming on Neil Young's Revolution Blues stands as a pretty high watermark. Incredible - but he was an an incredible man, after all, so no surprise.

RIP Levon, and thanks
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Return to The Lounge