Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
swine

Cooley

Postby northcarolinaredskin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Well this year we owe cooley something like 6.58 mil im pretty sure? Im really looking forward to the RG3-Davis combination as well as the RG3 - Hankerson combinations. Niles Paul apparently moving to TE and Logan Paulsen at TE you can only wonder whats gonna happen to Cooley. I personally hope we can find some way to keep him as the #2 TE; him and Cooley in the 2TE set would be way above league average. But I sure hope we dont release him at least get something for him.

Hog

Re: Cooley

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:20 pm

northcarolinaredskin wrote:Well this year we owe cooley something like 6.58 mil im pretty sure? Im really looking forward to the RG3-Davis combination as well as the RG3 - Hankerson combinations. Niles Paul apparently moving to TE and Logan Paulsen at TE you can only wonder whats gonna happen to Cooley. I personally hope we can find some way to keep him as the #2 TE; him and Cooley in the 2TE set would be way above league average. But I sure hope we dont release him at least get something for him.

Don't count Cooley out just yet. He isn't necessarily a back up. He has had time to heal and he just might surprise a few of you.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:41 pm

When Cooley has been healthy he has been one of the top 2 or 3 TE's in the league. No one can say that he has not given his best or has been loyal to the Redskins and community despite the BS that has been going on with the Redskins, i.e. the many coaching changes, in-fighting, back stabbing and selfishness of some of the past coaches and players (pre-Shanahan). IMO, he has suffered a lack of recognition because of the universal badmouthing of the Redskins by the media and the NFL. He has had a year to get healthy so I expect him to take his place as the #1 TE.

Hog

Postby HarleyHog » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:30 pm

I wouldn't count Cooley out at all. When he does his thing, he's awesome. If he has healed up, he will be opposite Davis. If he hasn't, he'll try like *heck* to convince the coaches he has. I think the switch with Paul was more about trying to keep Paul around in a reciever-rich environment than phasing out Captain Chaos, at least I hope so. A LOT probably hinges on the arbitration of the SC grievance. I could see Cooley restructuring.
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 pm

I hope that Cooley is a Skin in '12.....with the several instances of inhaling an illegal substance that Davis has, he is only "one toke over the line" away from a severe ban from the NFL. Personally, I can't believe that we would get rid of Cooley.....he knows how to get open, and more importantly, catch the ball when thrown his way. Would be a disgrace if he becomes a casualty of the cap space nonsense.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

piglet

Postby leesburgskinsfan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:11 am

rskin72 wrote:I hope that Cooley is a Skin in '12.....with the several instances of inhaling an illegal substance that Davis has, he is only "one toke over the line" away from a severe ban from the NFL. Personally, I can't believe that we would get rid of Cooley.....he knows how to get open, and more importantly, catch the ball when thrown his way. Would be a disgrace if he becomes a casualty of the cap space nonsense.

I agree.

I hope he restructures to fit in for at least a couple more years.

He's one of my favorites.

Hail!
Go 'Skins

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 am

it would be awesome if he were to restructure and stay here. Either way, I do feel like there are other players who are expendable before him (ie - Hall) who are counting just as much vs the cap.

One other thing though is that the Redskins are going to most likely play a lot of 21 personnel (2TE's, 1 RB) where Fred will be split out and Cooley will be in to block. Fred is a more stretch the field type TE similar while Cooley's greatest value is being a check down, move the chains type TE. I expect him to stay in to block after the ball is snapped and then release after a few seconds to give RG3 a 2nd check down option.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:20 am

"When healthy....."

You know what, the dude isn't healthy. Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways. We had this argument last year and a lot of you are convinced this guy can play at an elite level. Are yall nuts???
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am

ATX_Skins wrote:"When healthy....."

You know what, the dude isn't healthy. Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways. We had this argument last year and a lot of you are convinced this guy can play at an elite level. Are yall nuts???

He's finally getting a full offseason of rehab with the staff. If we're having this conversation next year I'll be with you.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:25 am

I was on the side of keeping him because he's "Cooley" and his dedication to the team while going through the changes.

HOWEVER.. now that we've gotten younger at the position and those guys are way healthier than Cooley, if he doesn't want to restructure to stay than he can go. I don't think any team will be like.. "ooooh, cooley" but maybe get a 4th for him and if not just let him go.

(not to be confused wit Moss who I want to retire a Skin.. he's the cowboy killer)
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:26 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

He's finally getting a full offseason of rehab with the staff. If we're having this conversation next year I'll be with you.

I agree with that Kazo
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Thats fair.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 am

ATX_Skins wrote:Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways.

Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE. Google his stats if you don't believe it. He is lacking in TDs, though, but I don't fault him for that as much as I do the play callers. That being said, he has been injury prone lately, and his best playing days may be behind him. I'm hoping he can stay healthy this year, and prove the doubters wrong.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:46 am

Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways.

Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE. Google his stats if you don't believe it. He is lacking in TDs, though, but I don't fault him for that as much as I do the play callers. That being said, he has been injury prone lately, and his best playing days may be behind him. I'm hoping he can stay healthy this year, and prove the doubters wrong.

I did google his stats, and look at his fumbles lol.

He's not top 3. Even when healthy. You are correct that his best years are behind him.

piggie

Postby fetus » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am

I love Cooley and appreciate all that he has done with us but, his lingiring injury is a cause for concern. I realize he has had a full offseason to heal and all but we just let someone go to the Jets for this same injury prone issue, 6 million is a lot of money to pay an aging, injury prone TE, if he restructures than sure lets keep him around and see if he can stay healthy, which I hope he does. If not then give him an appreciation thread and kick him to the curb, I doubt he has any trade value based off of the last 3 years.
RGIII and the terrible D

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football