Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am

Red_One43 wrote:From 2008-2010, Cooley ranks number nine in the top 10 in TE drop percentage.

Comparison: Fred Davis ranks number 34 in the top TE drop percentage which places him in the bottom 10 in TE drops.

So then we come to the must improves. Over the last three years, no one has dropped a higher percentage of passes than Fred Davis, which helps to explain why he hasn’t been able to push on and claim more playing time. A stark contrast to his Redskin teammate Chris Cooley, who finished ninth. Instead he is joined at the bottom by serial dropper, Brandon Pettigrew, and recently cut Daniel Graham.


Our mystery GM says that Cooley has good hands.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ight-ends/

I think your quote says Cooley has good hands too. It's just they are using top 10 and bottom 10 opposite of the way you were expecting.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:From 2008-2010, Cooley ranks number nine in the top 10 in TE drop percentage.

Comparison: Fred Davis ranks number 34 in the top TE drop percentage which places him in the bottom 10 in TE drops.

So then we come to the must improves. Over the last three years, no one has dropped a higher percentage of passes than Fred Davis, which helps to explain why he hasn’t been able to push on and claim more playing time. A stark contrast to his Redskin teammate Chris Cooley, who finished ninth. Instead he is joined at the bottom by serial dropper, Brandon Pettigrew, and recently cut Daniel Graham.


Our mystery GM says that Cooley has good hands.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ight-ends/

I think your quote says Cooley has good hands too. It's just they are using top 10 and bottom 10 opposite of the way you were expecting.


Yep, the way they worded it does sound confusing.
Cooley ranks 9th of the top ten TEs with the least amount of drops. How's that? :)

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm

John Keim on Cooley:
. I’ve always thought the odds that Chris Cooley would make the roster this season were a little over 50 percent. Some days I’d go as high as 60; other days it drops. The knee survived the spring, but the groin and hamstring suffered tweaks. It’s all related and it bears significant watching over the next few weeks. And I do think if healthy he can still help. A big threat? Those days are done, especially in an offense that wants more explosive plays. But a good backup? Sure — again, if healthy. Cooley was pretty adamant the first day of camp that he’s fine and hasn’t had any problems with his knee nor spent time in the trainer’s room. “I’ve had no issues,” Cooley said.



Not everyone thinks the odds for Cooley to make the roster should be that high. I talked to an NFL scout and a coach, both of whom have studied the Redskins quite often in recent years, and their take was a little different on his chances this season (also note that one longtime general manager said earlier in the spring he’d still keep him). Here’s what one of them said about Cooley:

“I think Cooley’s done. Age and poor training caught up to him three years ago, but it’s not just poor conditioning. Once the tread on your tires go, you can’t put it back on. How many times do we see a guy who appears old one season and then young the next? Once the slide starts it never ends. Age is one thing, but age and injury is a slippery slope. It’s been that way for a couple years. … He can’t evade anything anymore and his body has to work so hard to move. That’s why you get a groin and a hamstring and a tricep and a shoulder. It would be a PR nightmare for them to cut Cooley. But if he makes it, it’ll be by default. … He’s a guy who doesn’t play special teams and might be third string and is making three million. He’s there for one reason and that’s insurance.”

As in, if Fred Davis can’t stay clean.


I am not hearing anything about Cooley from camp except that he is doing fine healthwise which is good news on one hand.

http://community.washingtonexaminer.com ... Newsletter

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 pm

They aren't really talking about TE's much at all but we won't see/hear much until our first game.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Rich Tandler:
—It just looks odd to see Chris Cooley working with the second team. He was the starter in from 2005-2010 and didn’t practice much at all last year due to his ailing knee. I think he makes it but it’s not a sure thing.

—A few times in the span of several plays, Cooley was able to find a soft spot in the defense, turn around, and catch a pass for about five or seven yards. You get the feeling he could do this all of the time but it that worth a salary of $3.8 million for the year?


http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... -on-1.html

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: rocky mount va.

Postby skinpride1 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Rich Tandler:
—It just looks odd to see Chris Cooley working with the second team. He was the starter in from 2005-2010 and didn’t practice much at all last year due to his ailing knee. I think he makes it but it’s not a sure thing.

—A few times in the span of several plays, Cooley was able to find a soft spot in the defense, turn around, and catch a pass for about five or seven yards. You get the feeling he could do this all of the time but it that worth a salary of $3.8 million for the year?


http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... -on-1.html


That was a good read , i liked the part about garcon catching deep bombs from Rg3 and i hope we see a lot of that this season. Cooley needs to start impressing in camp . I'm pulling for 47 to come back, but if he is not the same 47 then it might not be good.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16252
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:01 am

—A few times in the span of several plays, Cooley was able to find a soft spot in the defense, turn around, and catch a pass for about five or seven yards. You get the feeling he could do this all of the time but it that worth a salary of $3.8 million for the year?

Yes, yes it is! A reliable five to seven yards is invaluable.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 am

Deadskins wrote:
—A few times in the span of several plays, Cooley was able to find a soft spot in the defense, turn around, and catch a pass for about five or seven yards. You get the feeling he could do this all of the time but it that worth a salary of $3.8 million for the year?

Yes, yes it is! A reliable five to seven yards is invaluable.


Especially, since he usually breaks a tackle and picks up 11 yards out at leat that is what his career average is. Heck the he is usually good for a first down every other catch. I think a guy that will get you 75 catches and 700 plus yards is with about 40 first downs is worth $3.8M.

I know purple will say there is no way Cooley puts up those numbers, but I would say they have no proof that he won't. No indication that he won't. If Coley plays most of the season he WILL put up those numbers! Why? Because that is what he does! Until he doesn't, that is what we should expect from him and I believe that is what the Shannys expect from him, because they have no reason not too.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: rocky mount va.

Postby skinpride1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:56 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aoIgJf ... e=youtu.be

Looks like cooley is running just fine to me and out there with the first unit.

I want evidence not a bunch of hot air and typing which seems to be the norm around here.

Also is it just me or do those formations look a little different. :wink:
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 pm


Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm


^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Poster - you understand that SB Nation has most of it's writers as fan's of a particular team. It allows them to moonlight as journalists. GM's talk to other GMs on a daily basis. That's gathering information. Finding out who's available who you have available, etc. What makes you think that the Skins arn't thinking about trading Royster since we got Hightower back, have Helu and drafed the kid this past year? We got Royster in the 6th or 7th round, get a 5th for him and we're all golden.

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

frankcal20 wrote:. What makes you think that the Skins arn't thinking about trading Royster since we got Hightower back, have Helu and drafed the kid this pa


what makes u think that you know what I'm thinking?

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1012
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:23 pm
Location: rocky mount va.

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm

the poster wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:. What makes you think that the Skins arn't thinking about trading Royster since we got Hightower back, have Helu and drafed the kid this pa


what makes u think that you know what I'm thinking?


easy.....

Insane troll logic

A path of reasoning that usually only makes sense to the person or people using it. Insane troll logic often varries in degree and can range from sligtly different to absolutely preposterous.

conclusihttp://www.urbandictionary.com/ ... %20logicon.
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

the poster wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:. What makes you think that the Skins arn't thinking about trading Royster since we got Hightower back, have Helu and drafed the kid this pa


what makes u think that you know what I'm thinking?


what does that have to do with football?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football