Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

I feel like we've been having this conversation for the past three or four years. Cooley is always either trade bait or a high cap number. And every year he suits up in September.

Guess we'll see soon enough, but my money is on Cooley sticking with the team one way or another.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways.

Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE. Google his stats if you don't believe it. He is lacking in TDs, though, but I don't fault him for that as much as I do the play callers. That being said, he has been injury prone lately, and his best playing days may be behind him. I'm hoping he can stay healthy this year, and prove the doubters wrong.

I did google his stats, and look at his fumbles lol.

He's not top 3. Even when healthy. You are correct that his best years are behind him.

His last full season was a season ago (2010). He finished #2 in receptions (77) and #3 in yards (849). I'de say that makes him a top 3 TE that year. In 2008 he finished 2nd in receptions (83) and 4th in yards. Again that makes him a top 3 TE! In 2007 he finished 5th in yards and receptions, so he would be a top 5 TE that year.

So you wanted us to look at fumbles. He has lost for fumbles in Eight years or in other words he has lost a fumble every other year.

Look I know you will point to the fact that he has had 11 fumbles (4 lost), so lets do the math on that. That is 1.375 fumbles per year, or he fumbles the ball once every ten games but only loses a fumble (that is all that counts by the way) once every 27 games.

Put it another way he fumbles once every 39 catches and loses one of those fumbles once every 107 receptions!

If you want to make the case that Cooley has only played in 7 games in 2009 and 5 games in 2011. Meaning he has had two injury shortened seasons in the past three seasons. I will point out that most TEs miss games and he has played every game in six out of his eight seasons.

But lets look at his production during those there "injury filled" seasons. He has 114 catches and 1246 yards in those 38 games. Fred Davis played in 44 games during those three seasons and only caught 14 more passes and 335 yards in those 6 extra games.

During Cooleys past four seasons (the number of seasons FD has played) he has been a top three TE twice, FD has been a top ten TE ZERO times. Also, Cooley has never been suspended or failed any drug test!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:40 am

Stupid phone duplicated my previous post.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Hog

Postby rick301 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:57 am

Good post skinsfan - but not that good to post twice :lol:

Cooley produces + is a fan favorite (they sell lots of Cooley stuff) = Cooley suits up for 2012 season!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:10 am

rick301 wrote:Good post skinsfan - but not that good to post twice :lol:

Cooley produces + is a fan favorite (they sell lots of Cooley stuff) = Cooley suits up for 2012 season!

Yeah, I usually go in and check to see if my phone did a duplicate post but was looking up some stats. Once you posted I couldn't delete my duplicate post.

The stats I was looking up was this.

During Coolley's career only for TE have had more catches and yards than Cooley during those eight years. Those TEs are:

Tony Gonzalez
Jason Witten
Antonio Gates
Kellen Winslow Jr. (that shocked me - it was marginal, but he had more)

So CC is a top five TE over his career.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

Cooley is the man. Great player and no off-field issues. Plus he married a Redskins cheerleader and was hand-picked by Joe Gibbs. What's not to love?
XVII XXII XXVI

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:32 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways.

Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE. Google his stats if you don't believe it. He is lacking in TDs, though, but I don't fault him for that as much as I do the play callers. That being said, he has been injury prone lately, and his best playing days may be behind him. I'm hoping he can stay healthy this year, and prove the doubters wrong.

I did google his stats, and look at his fumbles lol.

He's not top 3. Even when healthy. You are correct that his best years are behind him.

His last full season was a season ago (2010). He finished #2 in receptions (77) and #3 in yards (849). I'de say that makes him a top 3 TE that year. In 2008 he finished 2nd in receptions (83) and 4th in yards. Again that makes him a top 3 TE! In 2007 he finished 5th in yards and receptions, so he would be a top 5 TE that year.

So you wanted us to look at fumbles. He has lost for fumbles in Eight years or in other words he has lost a fumble every other year.

Look I know you will point to the fact that he has had 11 fumbles (4 lost), so lets do the math on that. That is 1.375 fumbles per year, or he fumbles the ball once every ten games but only loses a fumble (that is all that counts by the way) once every 27 games.

Put it another way he fumbles once every 39 catches and loses one of those fumbles once every 107 receptions!

If you want to make the case that Cooley has only played in 7 games in 2009 and 5 games in 2011. Meaning he has had two injury shortened seasons in the past three seasons. I will point out that most TEs miss games and he has played every game in six out of his eight seasons.

But lets look at his production during those there "injury filled" seasons. He has 114 catches and 1246 yards in those 38 games. Fred Davis played in 44 games during those three seasons and only caught 14 more passes and 335 yards in those 6 extra games.

During Cooleys past four seasons (the number of seasons FD has played) he has been a top three TE twice, FD has been a top ten TE ZERO times. Also, Cooley has never been suspended or failed any drug test!

Look, I don't think Cooley is a top TE in this league. You can throw all the stats to support yourself if you want. I see you also did some math as well...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 am

Cooley has played well for the Redskins and I would not be surprised to see him here again

He's not the player he was

AND

the fact is Davis is not known for making great decisions off the field :roll:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Cooley has played well for the Redskins and I would not be surprised to see him here again

AND

He's not the player he was because he's been hurt the last two years, He has come back from his injuries a few times without showing any drop off. I don't see why he wouldn't be back, although he might have to restructure his contract.

Being the guy that he is I don't see that as a problem either
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:Look, I don't think Cooley is a top TE in this league.

And you are wrong.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:31 pm

x2.

Cooley is the definition of "bleed B&G".. one of the funniest NFL players ever w his Cooley zone, blogs, videos, and almost reality show. His hatred for the pukes is epic, he is a true leader, aswell as prankster.. I wish my boss was Cooley hell I'd enjoy going to work more that's for sure.
As for his performance on field he is a beast and i won't give anyone the time of day that argues that at all. Top three? Eh maybe his best year but top ten no doubt. I see this year being a big year for him now that he is fully healed and will have all of the offseason to prepare properly w the staff. I see him helping rgiii get up to NFL speed w his veteran insight and ability to make plays but also and just as if not more importantly show him how to have fun out there and enjoy being a pro.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooo!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:13 pm

andyjens89 wrote:Cooley is the man. Great player and no off-field issues. Plus he married a Redskins cheerleader and was hand-picked by Joe Gibbs. What's not to love?

His production and health?

[ducks]
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

1niksder wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Cooley has played well for the Redskins and I would not be surprised to see him here again

AND

He's not the player he was because he's been hurt the last two years, He has come back from his injuries a few times without showing any drop off. I don't see why he wouldn't be back, although he might have to restructure his contract.

Being the guy that he is I don't see that as a problem either

maybe I did not make it clear that Cooley has some intangibles that will help this franchise DESPITE the fact that he's not as good as he was

I would be V surprised if he's not here - he will continue to help this offense
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:Cooley is the man. Great player and no off-field issues. Plus he married a Redskins cheerleader and was hand-picked by Joe Gibbs. What's not to love?

[ducks]

How can you not like ducks!?!
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:24 pm

andyjens89 wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:

[ducks]

How can you not like ducks!?!

Yeah man, he must be quackers!!!

(I'll get my coat....)
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football