Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:00 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I am saying that there are no where near enough footballs to go around for Cooley to get 60 balls.

That's absurd. There's easily enough for Cooley to get 60 with the WRs getting theirs. The only player who might limit Cooley's catches is Fred Davis. IF Cooley can't get in the game, he can't catch the ball.

Oh, don't forget the backs getting theirs. Helu had, if not 50 catches, close to it.

So tell me how easily it is for a second string TE who is reportedly slower this year is going to get his 60.

Footballs to receivers, TEs, backs - Garcon? Davis? Moss? Morgan? Hank? How many footballs for the rest of them?

How may times to you think RGIII is going to crank it up next year?
Will Shanny finally emphasize the run which is his MO?
How effective will the offense control the ball? Are we with the Patriots in offensive plays/

Why did Shanny emphasize getting receiver in FA?
Why did Shanny switch Paul to TE?
Shanny is gearing up for Shanny ball this year.

Now, add all those balls up and the emphasis on the offense this year and tell how a second string TE/FB is going to get 60 catches.
Tel your rationale.

Here's the stats for the Redskins for the last two season to see how the has been distributed the last couple of years.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/year/2010
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/nam ... n-redskins

See, here is the thing, everyone is assuming that Cooley is they second string TE. He might start out that way, but Davis has NEVER even come close to catching more passes than Cooley (if both are healthy). As far as him being slower (as reported by the media; us that even true or are they just assuming he should be slower), he was never fast and always found ways to get open - that won't change!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:07 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
TE Chris Cooley lined up at fullback during one play on which the Redskins practiced third-and-1 situations. Cooley took the handoff and got a first down. We saw that last year in the Monday night game against Dallas, too.

Cooley’s versatility as a fullback is a significant asset in his push to make the team. If the Redskins keep one fullback, Darrel Young, Cooley could be the backup, just as Mike Sellers was last year. It gives Cooley an edge over all the other tight ends.

This is why I think we keep 4 TEs. Cooley is kind of in the role of Sellers for last year - the versatile guy. Don't know if he can keep his salary in this role.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/red ... report-83/

Sellers was never a 60-70 catch guy, but Chris will be (AT WORST) a 60 catch guy if he plays all 16 games. He will have more catches than Paulsen, Paul, Armstrang, Banks, Austiin, and Robinson combined.

There is no eveidence that he will be anything other than a 60-80 catch guy. Everyone is ASSuming that he will have a significantly reduced role... he won't! He will prove, like he always has, that he is better than Davis and all but a few TEs in the NFL.

-drinking

Get serious...

I am.

I might end up being wrong, but Cooley's past performance is what I'm using as a reference to make those statements.

No I haven't been drinking (not even the hater-aid that you drink)!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:14 am

SkinsJock wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote: Sellers was never a 60-70 catch guy, but Chris will be (AT WORST) a 60 catch guy if he plays all 16 games. He will have more catches than Paulsen, Paul, Armstrong, Banks, Austiin, and Robinson combined.

There is no evidence that he will be anything other than a 60-80 catch guy. Everyone is ASSuming that he will have a significantly reduced role... he won't! He will prove, like he always has, that he is better than Davis and all but a few TEs in the NFL.

:shock: are you serious ... or a close relative

I'm a Cooley fan and I hope that he's able to show that he can still help the offense

AND

that he'll take less money

but ... :wink:

He isn't going to need to take less money (not this year anyhow). He will be on the team at his current salary. They would have already asked him to take a pay cut if they were going to.

Cooley doesn't have to show that he can help the offense. He had right years that show that he can. What you meant to say is he might end up showing that he can no longer help the offense. But until he does, I think it is irrevocable and disrespectful to assume he won't be able to!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:25 am

Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
TE Chris Cooley lined up at fullback during one play on which the Redskins practiced third-and-1 situations. Cooley took the handoff and got a first down. We saw that last year in the Monday night game against Dallas, too.

Cooley’s versatility as a fullback is a significant asset in his push to make the team. If the Redskins keep one fullback, Darrel Young, Cooley could be the backup, just as Mike Sellers was last year. It gives Cooley an edge over all the other tight ends.

This is why I think we keep 4 TEs. Cooley is kind of in the role of Sellers for last year - the versatile guy. Don't know if he can keep his salary in this role.

Sellers was never a 60-70 catch guy, but Chris will be (AT WORST) a 60 catch guy if he plays all 16 games. He will have more catches than Paulsen, Paul, Armstrang, Banks, Austiin, and Robinson combined.

There is no eveidence that he will be anything other than a 60-80 catch guy. Everyone is ASSuming that he will have a significantly reduced role... he won't! He will prove, like he always has, that he is better than Davis and all but a few TEs in the NFL.

No Evidence?
Allow me to introduce Exhibits::

1. Fred Davis
2. Pierre Garcon
3. Santana Moss
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Niles Paul
6. Josh Morgan

Now, I am not saying that all of these guys will catch more footballs than Cooley. I am saying that there are no where near enough footballs to go around for Cooley to get 60 balls.

Exhibit 7: This isn't Gronk and Hernanez! Even with a healthy Davis and Cooley, the Skins have never successfully run the two TE set that everyone has talked about since they became teammates. The Two TE set will be Davis and Paul. That TE Tandem fits the Shanny O.

Why wood you assume that the two TE sets will be FD and Paul. Paul has been practicing Davis' type of routes. He fits that role much better than Coolley's. I don't see Paul getting on the field much, unless Davis gets hurt.

I would put a large chunk of money that Cooley will catch more balls than half the players on your list if he plays all 16 games.

Look I'm not trying to be biased, I'm trying not to be. Until Cooley proves that he is no longer a probowl level TE I will assume he will be that. To do anything else would be being biased against Cooley. I'm not going to assume his production will dramatically drop off.

As far as having enough balls to go around. They will go to the players that make plays and that has always been Cooley.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

-drinking

Get serious...

I am.

I might end up being wrong, but Cooley's past performance is what I'm using as a reference to make those statements.

No I haven't been drinking (not even the hater-aid that you drink)!

I am not a Cooley hater. It would be great to see him back to his old form, BUT IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

The only people that should be wearing Cooley jerseys are middle aged housewives living in Ashburn.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:49 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:

No Evidence?
Allow me to introduce Exhibits::

1. Fred Davis
2. Pierre Garcon
3. Santana Moss
4. Leonard Hankerson
5. Niles Paul
6. Josh Morgan

Now, I am not saying that all of these guys will catch more footballs than Cooley. I am saying that there are no where near enough footballs to go around for Cooley to get 60 balls.

Exhibit 7: This isn't Gronk and Hernanez! Even with a healthy Davis and Cooley, the Skins have never successfully run the two TE set that everyone has talked about since they became teammates. The Two TE set will be Davis and Paul. That TE Tandem fits the Shanny O.

Why wood you assume that the two TE sets will be FD and Paul. Paul has been practicing Davis' type of routes. He fits that role much better than Coolley's. I don't see Paul getting on the field much, unless Davis gets hurt.

I would put a large chunk of money that Cooley will catch more balls than half the players on your list if he plays all 16 games.

Look I'm not trying to be biased, I'm trying not to be. Until Cooley proves that he is no longer a probowl level TE I will assume he will be that. To do anything else would be being biased against Cooley. I'm not going to assume his production will dramatically drop off.

As far as having enough balls to go around. They will go to the players that make plays and that has always been Cooley.

You are biased and that is fine, but the reports coming out of camp are not supporting a revitalized Cooley. He is playing with the second stringers and not looking like his old self. Two, in order for the Cooley to get significant TE time, the Redskins would have to run a two TE set for a significant part of the offense. Did they run that in 2010? Did they run it when Cooley was healthy in 2011? Until Shanny proves that he is running a two TE set for a significant part of the O, like the Pats, I will assume that he won't. To do anything against that would be biased (not that there is anything wrong with that). Cooley is coming off an injury. Any player coming off an injury must show that he is back or there will be doubts - Hightower, Jenkins, Bowen etc. The difference with Cooley is he is 30 years old or almost 30.

So, go ahead and cheer Cooley on! I wouldn't try to change your mind, but I like to call it like I read it in the reports and what I know about players coming of a serious injury. Cooley is a long shot to regain, his 2010 form.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:03 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I am saying that there are no where near enough footballs to go around for Cooley to get 60 balls.

That's absurd. There's easily enough for Cooley to get 60 with the WRs getting theirs. The only player who might limit Cooley's catches is Fred Davis. IF Cooley can't get in the game, he can't catch the ball.

Oh, don't forget the backs getting theirs. Helu had, if not 50 catches, close to it.

So tell me how easily it is for a second string TE who is reportedly slower this year is going to get his 60.

Footballs to receivers, TEs, backs - Garcon? Davis? Moss? Morgan? Hank? How many footballs for the rest of them?

How effective will the offense control the ball? Are we with the Patriots in offensive plays/

Now, add all those balls up and the emphasis on the offense this year and tell how a second string TE/FB is going to get 60 catches.
Tel your rationale.

Here's the stats for the Redskins for the last two season to see how the has been distributed the last couple of years.

See, here is the thing, everyone is assuming that Cooley is they second string TE. He might start out that way, but Davis has NEVER even come close to catching more passes than Cooley (if both are healthy). As far as him being slower (as reported by the media; us that even true or are they just assuming he should be slower), he was never fast and always found ways to get open - that won't change!

When a player works with the second team, it is a fair assumption that he is second string. The Skins paid Fred more money than Cooley for this season, because they feel that he is their guy. Fred is the Skins GUY at TE until Cooley or Paul beats him out. The two TE set is not the offense here, but only a package. The only assumption here is you think that Cooley will rise back to 2010 form. What Skins fan doesn't want this? Where is the evidence that leads you to believe that he has regained that form?

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:06 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I thought it was reported he looks faster this year than the last couple due to his loss of weight and conditioning.

I can't remember which day's report, but I am pretty sure that it was one of Keim's reports from this past week. If not keim, then Rich Campbell.

It was stated that he looks slower. I do know the reference you are making. It was made at OTAs. Cooley came in at 243 at the weigh-in on Wednedsy the 25th. He was at 237 at OTAs.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Tel your rationale.

Don't forget Cooley also lines up as a fullback, and like I said, it really depends on Fred Davis more than the WRs as to how many touches Cooley gets. That and how many two TE sets we run.

I certainly included that that Cooley lines up as a fullback. Check out above. :) Keep in mind that Darrell Young is a good back out of the backfield as well, so Cooley is not going to get many catches out of the backfield.
Curious, what evidence have you seen that Shanny is going to a two TE set as a major part of the O? The Shanny's have talked it since they arrived. Not in 2010. Not in the early part of 2011 before Cooley was hurt.
Keep in mind that Shanny's MO is deep routes. This is why Davis is the guy at TE.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Tel your rationale.

Don't forget Cooley also lines up as a fullback, and like I said, it really depends on Fred Davis more than the WRs as to how many touches Cooley gets. That and how many two TE sets we run.

I certainly included that that Cooley lines up as a fullback. Check out above. :) Keep in mind that Darrell Young is a good back out of the backfield as well, so Cooley is not going to get many catches out of the backfield.
Curious, what evidence have you seen that Shanny is going to a two TE set as a major part of the O? The Shanny's have talked it since they arrived. Not in 2010. Not in the early part of 2011 before Cooley was hurt.
Keep in mind that Shanny's MO is deep routes. This is why Davis is the guy at TE.

I don't know how many times the the Skins lined up in two TE set in 2010, but I know they did it AT LEAST nine times since Cooley started 16 games in 2010 AND FD started 9 games. So they opened in two TE sets for nine games. I'm assuming that wasn't the only time they lined up in two TE sets.

Here is my thinking. Must here are assuming Cooley won't be the same player he was the last time he was healthy and I'm assuming he will be. Until He proves that he isn't the player he used to be i'm going to assume he is. It is OK if people want to assume he isn't without seeing him play.

The last time Cooley was healthy was very early in the 2010 season. that is when he hurt his knee. He was able to manage it so well that only two other TEs were more productive than he was.

For what ever reason (lock out is my guess) his knee got worse before the 2011 season. He was NEVER healthy during 2011 so the Skins really couldn't run many two TE sets.

I think the reports about Cooley looking slower than he has in the past are mostly the media seeing what they EXPECT to see. Their expectations are clouding what they see.

No. I have no proof he won't eventually supplant Davis as the Starting TE, but I do know the Shannys will play the guys making the most plays. if that is Cooley, cool. if that is Davis, I'm fine with that too. But I can almost guarantee Cooley will have more catches than the #4, #5, or # 6 WR. If he plays all season he will cathch 50-60 balls, just in the last four minutes of each half. How many time have we seen Cooley not catch any balls for the first 27-28 Min of a half and end up with 3 or 4 balls at the end of that half. This is something that I think RG3 will take a liking to, just like every QB before him.

Hog

Postby skinpride1 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Cooley says he will be playing fullback thursday night against the bills.

He will be more in the" tiger" position 8)

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... edID=10316
RG3....Super Man....check out my socks!!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Tel your rationale.

I don't know how many times the the Skins lined up in two TE set in 2010, but I know they did it AT LEAST nine times since Cooley started 16 games in 2010 AND FD started 9 games. So they opened in two TE sets for nine games. I'm assuming that wasn't the only time they lined up in two TE sets.

Here is my thinking. Must here are assuming Cooley won't be the same player he was the last time he was healthy and I'm assuming he will be. Until He proves that he isn't the player he used to be i'm going to assume he is. It is OK if people want to assume he isn't without seeing him play.

The last time Cooley was healthy was very early in the 2010 season. that is when he hurt his knee. He was able to manage it so well that only two other TEs were more productive than he was.

For what ever reason (lock out is my guess) his knee got worse before the 2011 season. He was NEVER healthy during 2011 so the Skins really couldn't run many two TE sets.

I think the reports about Cooley looking slower than he has in the past are mostly the media seeing what they EXPECT to see. Their expectations are clouding what they see.

No. I have no proof he won't eventually supplant Davis as the Starting TE, but I do know the Shannys will play the guys making the most plays. if that is Cooley, cool. if that is Davis, I'm fine with that too. But I can almost guarantee Cooley will have more catches than the #4, #5, or # 6 WR. If he plays all season he will cathch 50-60 balls, just in the last four minutes of each half. How many time have we seen Cooley not catch any balls for the first 27-28 Min of a half and end up with 3 or 4 balls at the end of that half. This is something that I think RG3 will take a liking to, just like every QB before him.

I totally get where you are coming from. I fall in the "I assume that Cooley will be effective but not in the manner he was in 2010" category. I believe that Shanny put Paul at TE because he sees Davis and Paul as the go to guys at TE. Cooley will have his packages in a two TE set and Paul will have his packages in a two TE set. I see Paul as more of a back to Davis then Cooley. Cooley will also be expected to line up as a fullback as well.

Thanks for explaining your position. I get it, but disagree. I have no problem with you telling me, I told you so if you are right.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:19 pm

“I couldn’t move well last year. I had a lot of fluid in my knee at all times. I had a hard time going two days in a row. I’m continuing to build speed, I’m continuing to get better on my feet. My routes have looked better. I feel like I’m getting back to the player I know I can be. I think our staff knows what I can do. I know what I’m capable of. That’s what everyone expects of me. I have to continue to provide that on a daily basis.”

With Cooley saying that he continues to build speed, he is confirming what the beat writers have been noticing - that he appeared slower.

For the Cooley fans who feel that this may confirm that Cooley will get back to Cooley form, I have no problem seeing it that way.

Starting Thursday night, it is all about what is on the field. I do hope that we see the Cooley of old.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2504112

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 am

Cooley is old realiable. I think it would be great to keep him on the roster even if the tight end talent is in abundance. Cooley has always seemed to be clutch which is important in the big games. I know Davis has talent supreme but it doesnt mean we couldn't use Cooley as well.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:48 pm

8/8

John Keim‏@john_keim

TE coach sean mcvay not worried about cooley's speed: "he has functional football speed." #redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football