Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Gronk-Hernandez 2.0 [-o<

But seriously, I think having Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time will be perfect for Griffin. The Panthers had two solid tight ends and Cam Newton had a heck of a year. I don't really want to compare Griffin to Newton (or Jon Beason might hurt me), but hopefully Griffin can have a great year as well.
XVII XXII XXVI

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 30, 2012 3:50 pm

yupchagee wrote:
1niksder wrote:not to mention Cooley is the best blocking TE on the roster until Paul gets things figured out.

What about Paulson?

Paulson is a better blocker than Davis too :shock:

But he's not on the same level as Cooley or Davis,

IMO: Shanny seems to be doing whatever he can to keep Paul on the roster so Paulson might be the odd man out.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Wed May 30, 2012 3:59 pm

I believe Paul plays on both kickoff teams and both punt teams, and is a good blocker as a wide receiver. If he does indeed switch to tight end, it just makes him more valuable - knowing more than one position. This is a little off-topic, but guys like Paul, Alexander, and Golston are big parts of the team for all that they do on special teams.

Cooley should bounce back if his knee holds up. Will his stats be as good as they used to be? Probably not. Will he be a big part of the offense anyways? I think so
XVII XXII XXVI

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Coach compared Paul to Shannon Sharp transitioning to the TE position based on skill set & size. I don't think he is trying to say he'll have as good of a career but he has the skill set and size to play the position and be productive.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 30, 2012 5:58 pm

1niksder wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
1niksder wrote:not to mention Cooley is the best blocking TE on the roster until Paul gets things figured out.

What about Paulson?

IMO: Shanny seems to be doing whatever he can to keep Paul on the roster so Paulson might be the odd man out.

Paulsen runs a 4.75 to Cooley's 4.87. Pauslen is 25 to Cooley's 30 (in a month). Cooley has shown signs of wearing down. I think his cap number is kinda big. Paulsen is actually bigger (268), faster, and younger than Cooley (has reportedly dropped 10 or 15 pounds from 255). Paulsen's probably a better blocker too and we have Sleepy and Paul. I love Chris Cooley and I thought he was a great pick but Chris Cooley could be in trubble.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed May 30, 2012 7:55 pm

^ Based on those stats and that Shanny has always spoken of Paulsen in a favorable way, I would have to agree that Cooley is in trouble.

I can still see them keep all four though, since Paul can be counted on as as receiver as well and fill both a TE and WR slot. We kept four last year - Cooley, Davis, Paulsen and Sellers filling both TE/FB slots.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:10 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
1niksder wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

What about Paulson?

Paulsen runs a 4.75 to Cooley's 4.87. Pauslen is 25 to Cooley's 30 (in a month). Cooley has shown signs of wearing down. I think his cap number is kinda big. Paulsen is actually bigger (268), faster, and younger than Cooley (has reportedly dropped 10 or 15 pounds from 255). Paulsen's probably a better blocker too and we have Sleepy and Paul. I love Chris Cooley and I thought he was a great pick but Chris Cooley could be in trubble.

DarthMonk

I've said this in other threads, I could care less what a player ran in shorts at the scouting combine. I've seen a
Chris and Logan play and CC is faster. Plus Cooley's game has never been about speed. He will be the first to tell you that he isn't very fast. But he is a good blocker (much better than FD but not as good as LP), however Chris makes his money finding open holes in the zone and running great routes. He if much beyer at all three of those things than Davis, but FD is faster than Chris. He is a bigger play threat than Cooley, but Chris wil be where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there.

You can't compare Chris and Logan. Logan is a virtual non-factor in the passing game. Sure LP is a better blocker, but the gap in his ability to block to Chris' is much smaller than the gap between the two as pass catchers.

I am fairly confident that if healthy Cooley will catch more passes than FD and possibly have more yards too. Davis will have a much higher yards per catch average than CC, because he will be used for those deeper TE routes, but Cooley will be RG3's best friend. He will catch a lot of passes from our rookie QB.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm

^ I'd love to see Cooley catch a lot of balls from RGIII and it may happen but the writing is on the wall and it's just a matter of time. Don't be surprised when the reaper comes - if he happens to come this year.

I hope Cooley's only shot isn't being able to sit in a zone better. It's a good point though.

No way Cooley is still faster, shorts or otherwise, unless all the weight he lost (21 pounds) got him another 0.2 sec off the 40 he ran 9 years ago. Dude is 30 with a troublesome knee.

I think this is all solid. How many years max do you give Cooley with us. Please Don't say 5.

Having painted gloom and doom, Chris Cooley could have a very good year. His cap number is very large though and Shanny has cajones.

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:05 am

DarthMonk wrote:^

No way Cooley is still faster, shorts or otherwise, unless all the weight he lost (21 pounds) got him another 0.2 sec off the 40 he ran 9 years ago. Dude is 30 with a troublesome knee.

I think this is all solid. How many years max do you give Cooley with us. Please Don't say 5.

Having painted gloom and doom, Chris Cooley could have a very good year. His cap number is very large though and Shanny has cajones.

DarthMonk

I think he will be on the team for this season. Then he is probably gone because you will have Tokey needing a new contract, Chris with a big cap number, and we have no cap space because of those crooks in NY.

But that will depend on how FD plays. If he finally out produces CC and doesn't get suspended then I think the club will have to chose him over CC. However, even the club isn't confident in him or they would have given him a long term contract.

I still have no idea why you think LP its faster than CC. I don't even think it is close. LP runs like he has cement feet.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu May 31, 2012 7:02 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:I still have no idea why you think LP its faster than CC. I don't even think it is close. LP runs like he has cement feet.

Mainly because he is.

Chris Cooley admits he has lost speed since battling a troublesome left knee injury throughout last season.This is despite an offseason weight loss of nearly 20 pounds

... and he was slower than LP already.

Still a Cooley fan though.

Redskins TE Chris Cooley acknowledges contributing behind Fred Davis this season is "going to be a challenge."Cooley also said that he trusts his troublesome left knee is healthy, and that he still wants to be "the guy" at tight end. It might be a not so subtle hint he's hoping for a trade. Due $3.8 million and set to count $6.23 million against the cap, it's more likely he is released.

1nik: possible restructure terms?

DarthMonk

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:58 am

Would make a lot of sense for him to approach the team to restructure their deal for a long term. Only issue is that Allen is very good at getting rid of players while they still have value. Cooley could generate a 5th round pick if he would go to another team w/ a new longer, cap friendly deal. Maybe Miami?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Thu May 31, 2012 11:19 am

DarthMonk wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:I still have no idea why you think LP its faster than CC. I don't even think it is close. LP runs like he has cement feet.

Mainly because he is.

DarthMonk

It certainly doesn't show on the football field. Cooley definately looks faster than LP on the field, where it counts!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu May 31, 2012 12:09 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
1nik: possible restructure terms?

DarthMonk

Two year extension with 2012 & 2013 bases converted to a bonus would add $4.86M in dead cap this year but will net $3.9M in cap space for 2012 and $3.84M in 2013. 2012 and 2013 base salaries would be vet mins., but Cooley still would come out $1.1M richer. Only of option would be a straight pay cut.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby the poster » Thu May 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Deadskins wrote:Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE.

he would be a third stringer today on the patriots alone. and he wouldn't start in new Orleans, sf, dallas, green bay, and Seattle and there's some other teams where it would be up to debate.

and of course, typical redskin fans, who only know how to read the back of a football card when it comes to evaluating a player, they wouldn't know that he is also a typical redskin tight end in that he's completely unreliable as a pass blocker, few are less effective and one of those few is Fred Davis, and as run blockers they both rank as two of the worst in the game.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm

^^^ :roll:

So anyways... As someone posted earlier, I actually could see Cooley getting released if LP has a good offseason. 6.23 against the cap...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football