"I'll be the first one in, last one out"

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^

"I'll be the first one in, last one out"

Postby hatsOFF2gibbs » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Robert Griffin III isn't taking anything for granted. Well, he's taking for granted that the Washington Redskins will select him with the No. 2 overall pick in this week's NFL draft. (Which is smart after the Indianapolis Colts made it official with Andrew Luck on Tuesday.)

But Griffin doesn't take it for granted that he'll be the No. 1 quarterback in Washington. He has to beat out Rex Grossman first.

"You can't come in thinking that you're a big dog," Griffin said Tuesday via CBS DC at a pre-draft event in New York. "I might be the second pick, I might be who the fans want as a quarterback and the coaches want as a quarterback but I’ve still got to go beat out Rex Grossman …

"Rex Grossman is the quarterback in Washington right now, and I've got to go beat him out. I've got to prove to those guys that I'm there to work and I will, it's who I am. I'll be the first one in, last one out, and it won't be a cliché with me."

Griffin was in New York to help promote a deeply disturbing, sandwich-meat "statue" that Subway put together. (Here's the take on "RG3½" from ATL sandwich expert Dan Hanzus.)

Some might scoff at Griffin saying all the right things, but his recognition of Grossman is smart. And competing with Grossman is not a crazy notion. The Redskins likely won't install Griffin as the top guy on Day 1. Grossman often is the butt of jokes, but he has started a lot of games (including the Super Bowl) and played fairly well for Washington last season.

We're not saying Grossman has much of a chance to be the Week 1 starter. But Griffin is approaching this the right way: The Redskins probably won't just hand over the keys to the franchise to him during the offseason.

For now, Griffin is just a rookie. Even if he's a rookie well known enough to inspire a sandwich statue.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

Got to love the kid's attitude.

... first one in, last one out... I hope he starts gathering up the WRs and practicing, building chemistry, and getting that rhythm. LETS GO.
"I was on the sideline and guys were talking about the score, and then it hit me -- we won by 21. I came in the locker room and I yelled it out, and immediately I just kind of broke down in tears. Because I miss Sean, you know."

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm

This title reminds me of the Marines
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:04 pm

The Redskins likely won't install Griffin as the top guy on Day 1. Grossman often is the butt of jokes, but he has started a lot of games (including the Super Bowl) and played fairly well for Washington last season.

I think we may have a different view on what "fairly well" is...

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:13 pm

PulpExposure wrote:
The Redskins likely won't install Griffin as the top guy on Day 1. Grossman often is the butt of jokes, but he has started a lot of games (including the Super Bowl) and played fairly well for Washington last season.

I think we may have a different view on what "fairly well" is...

That was a head scratcher :hmm:
XVII XXII XXVI

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm

The kid continues to say all the right things, and he has an unbroken history of walking the walk. Lots of reasons to be excited.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:03 pm

..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm like... this kid is too good to be true. He is articulate, handles himself remarkably well (the anti-Leaf), clearly intelligent, driven, talented in multiple facets... and has a very comforting personal history of character, integrity, and personal discipline...

... lightening in a bottle?

Wow... This may be an excellent time to be a Redskins fan.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 am

gotta love it - RG3 will work hard - he want's to earn the job as starting QB

I'd be surprised if he's not the starter on day 1 but ... Mike's not just going to make him the starter, it will be obvious

he'll soon show that he's the best QB here but the real reward comes down the road as this kid becomes as good as he can be

and

the other coaches, players and fans look at this franchise differently :wink:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:00 am

Mike wn't have to give RGIII anything cus he'll take it and own it.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 am

I cannot wait. I have seen the glory days and I have seen the unspeakable days with this team. I have no doubt in my mind the ship is turning around. I don't hold expectations that it will translate into immediate success like with the Panthers or Bengles but this is a rising team. I love this kid. He is the real deal and I honestly have no doubts he is the QB for the next 10 years, if not more. Hail to the Redskins.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 am

Irn-Bru wrote:The kid continues to say all the right things

He has clearly studied his Bull Durham.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football