What becomes of Hightower...?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Online
Posts: 6183
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

What becomes of Hightower...?

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:58 am

Shanny wants him to re-sign. Not sure what Tim's gonna do....

Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan confirmed the team’s interest in re-signing free agent running back Tim Hightower, today.

“We want to have him back, obviously,” Shanahan said at his pre-draft press conference. “We think he’ll be full speed by the first of June, middle of June. Hopefully we’ll get him re-signed.”

Hightower is currently in the process of recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament that he suffered in Week 7 against the Carolina Panthers. He has been in contact with the team, and is reportedly recovering quickly.

“Tim is doing a great job on his rehab,” Shanahan said. “Talking to Dr. Anderson, he said that he’s never seen a guy that has worked as hard as Tim has and that doesn’t surprise me at all.”




http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events ... f183b84080
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

My gut tells me that Shanny is eye-balling someone specific in the draft and if he can get that guy, that'll be the end of Hightower in DC.

His injury is also playing a factor, as well as the penalty imposed upon us. If Mike comes out of this draft without "his guy", I'd like to Hightower to be brought back on board.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 am

What's he goona do...?

He's gonna be the team's leading rusher, be a major help in blocking for RG3, a top receiver out of the backfield and an experienced guy for Helu and Royster to learn from.

That's what he's gonna do...

:up: :up: :up:
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:48 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:My gut tells me that Shanny is eye-balling someone specific in the draft and if he can get that guy, that'll be the end of Hightower in DC.

His injury is also playing a factor, as well as the penalty imposed upon us. If Mike comes out of this draft without "his guy", I'd like to Hightower to be brought back on board.


I agree with all your points, but I think the penalty is the key one. If Shanny has a player in the draft he likes and we get the cap space back, it still would make sense not to need the rookie to step right in. If we don't get it back, it may be one of the sacrifices we're forced to make. Pure speculation but I'm hoping we're asking Hightower to give us until the arbitration hearing.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

tribe
Online
Posts: 6183
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:54 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:My gut tells me that Shanny is eye-balling someone specific in the draft and if he can get that guy, that'll be the end of Hightower in DC.

His injury is also playing a factor, as well as the penalty imposed upon us. If Mike comes out of this draft without "his guy", I'd like to Hightower to be brought back on board.


I agree with all your points, but I think the penalty is the key one. If Shanny has a player in the draft he likes and we get the cap space back, it still would make sense not to need the rookie to step right in. If we don't get it back, it may be one of the sacrifices we're forced to make. Pure speculation but I'm hoping we're asking Hightower to give us until the arbitration hearing.


That's risky business for Tim and it's hoping that he has a level of trust and loyalty to the B&G.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 am

I hope nobody is taking any of these public comments seriously. In the past two days, I've read reports of Shanny saying positive things about Gaffney, Cooley, Hightower, etc; Regarding pretty much every injured player or any player this any speculation about, he did his best to muddy the waters.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 am

OH man. I forgot about yesterday's classic comment about Jammal Brown:

“Right now I feel better about Jammal Brown than I have at any time since I’ve been here,” he said. “That hip that he’s had that tear on looks better than it’s ever looked.”

Like Cosby said: "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight."

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:59 am

riggofan wrote:OH man. I forgot about yesterday's classic comment about Jammal Brown:

“Right now I feel better about Jammal Brown than I have at any time since I’ve been here,” he said. “That hip that he’s had that tear on looks better than it’s ever looked.”

Like Cosby said: "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight."


Given our only signing a possible backup to him so far, I think that one's true. At least I hope it is.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:05 am

Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.


Brown was instructed to do more flexibility training with his rehab and all players have a mandatory pilates class. It jives well with the story, his injury history and the problematic symptons that have been reported. #shrug

Mike likes Hightower, I'm sure he does want him back for the right price.

What isn't there to believe about Gafney? Gafney said the Skins were trying to trade him. True. Mike says that he gave Jabbar the chance to sign on somewhere else, so that his career wouldn't suffer. I'm sure that Mike wouldn't mind having his most productive WR back and see how it plays out. But within his plans, Jabbar isnt going to be feature. What isn't there to believe?

In regards to Cooley... Look. What is it that isn't believable about this stuff. His team was decimated by injury and he's looking forward to having productive players back.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Location: Palm Springs, CA

Postby aswas71788 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 am

I do not think that resigning Hightower is that big a deal. The Redskins have two running backs that are as good as or better. Hightower would be nice, but no real loss if he goes somewhere else. If he was that good, there would be several teams trying to sign him. They are not.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:00 am

aswas71788 wrote:I do not think that resigning Hightower is that big a deal. The Redskins have two running backs that are as good as or better. Hightower would be nice, but no real loss if he goes somewhere else. If he was that good, there would be several teams trying to sign him. They are not.


He is that good, but he's still recovering from an injury. That's the only reason he's unsigned.

Also, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that our two rookies are on his level yet. He's a proven veteran. Helu and Royster have shown flashes but neither has carried the burden of a full work load. The potential is there but potential means nothing until it is applied on the field.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4826
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:03 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.


I see your point. 36 hours before the draft what possible motive could any NFL coach have for obfuscating the needs of his team?

tribe
Online
Posts: 6183
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:02 pm
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:06 am

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.


I see your point. 36 hours before the draft what possible motive could any NFL coach have for obfuscating the needs of his team?


obfuswhat...? that's a big word
:wink: 8)
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 am

riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.


I see your point. 36 hours before the draft what possible motive could any NFL coach have for obfuscating the needs of his team?


I see your point too.

I also dont see a need to hide the obvious... The thing to hide would be a desire for RGIII but that's a done deal. Everyone knows we need a RT. Everyone knows Davis is one puff away from a ban. I don't see how saying that he'd welcome Jabbar back is hiding anything... If anything, maybe he's trying to mend a broken bridge, dude seemed to take the trade to heart. I just dont see how any of his comments will really mask what he's trying to do.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

the 'mudge
Posts: 14682
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 am

Bidnizzz...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football