What becomes of Hightower...?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:15 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.

I see your point. 36 hours before the draft what possible motive could any NFL coach have for obfuscating the needs of his team?

I see your point too.

I also dont see a need to hide the obvious... The thing to hide would be a desire for RGIII but that's a done deal. Everyone knows we need a RT. Everyone knows Davis is one puff away from a ban. I don't see how saying that he'd welcome Jabbar back is hiding anything... If anything, maybe he's trying to mend a broken bridge, dude seemed to take the trade to heart. I just dont see how any of his comments will really mask what he's trying to do.

I'm not saying he's doing an especially good job at it! I'm just saying when the coach comes out 36 hours before the draft and starts volunteering all of this information about his players, its part of the draft day game whether any of the information is true or not. I'll put more stock into what he says next week. :)

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am

tribeofjudah wrote:
riggofan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Eh, I don't have any reason to not believe him.

I see your point. 36 hours before the draft what possible motive could any NFL coach have for obfuscating the needs of his team?

obfuswhat...? that's a big word
:wink: 8)

LOL sorry bro. I'm a programmer by trade, and we use that one a lot. I've been known to ask my kids who obfuscated the freaking remote control.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I also dont see a need to hide the obvious... The thing to hide would be a desire for RGIII but that's a done deal. Everyone knows we need a RT. Everyone knows Davis is one puff away from a ban. I don't see how saying that he'd welcome Jabbar back is hiding anything... If anything, maybe he's trying to mend a broken bridge, dude seemed to take the trade to heart. I just dont see how any of his comments will really mask what he's trying to do.

This is what I was thinking, Chris. I'm having a hard time as seeing any major moves behind this. No reason for Mikey to be specific, but there are no big secrets in here either.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:21 am

riggofan wrote:I'm just saying when the coach comes out 36 hours before the draft and starts volunteering all of this information about his players, its part of the draft day game whether any of the information is true or not

What did he "volunteer?" He said they all are welcome to come to camp and try for a job. Gaffney can be yours for a glass of lemonade, if not he can come to camp and try to not get cut. Doesn't seem he said anything.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:26 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:I do not think that resigning Hightower is that big a deal. The Redskins have two running backs that are as good as or better. Hightower would be nice, but no real loss if he goes somewhere else. If he was that good, there would be several teams trying to sign him. They are not.

He is that good, but he's still recovering from an injury. That's the only reason he's unsigned.

Also, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that our two rookies are on his level yet. He's a proven veteran. Helu and Royster have shown flashes but neither has carried the burden of a full work load. The potential is there but potential means nothing until it is applied on the field.

Chris is bang on, if he wasn't recovering from injury he'd be getting offers from elsewhere.

I've got a feeling that he's going to be our main man as far as RBs go next season, I really do. His attitude off the field is spot-on, and he's the kind of guy Shanny would want around Helu and Royster as they develop.

He's also an excellent blocker, which with our OL unlikely to be anyhere near perfect is important with a rookie QB next season.

He's also a good receiver out of the backfield (as is Helu I know, but we're not depending on just one for the season) which again is a bonus for a rookie QB.

And he REALLY wants to be a Redskin.

I see people talking about drafting a RB, why..????? We already have two exciting young prospects, they need to develop alongside a seasoned pro. We have other needs far more important than RB, and with Hightower available and up for it we'd be foolish to ignore those needs for another exciting prospect to add to the two we have already.

If he doesn't return, and it's not down to his injury, then I'll actually have serious issues with Shanny's judgement...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 am

Shanny doesn't to just bring him back, he says he wants him to start
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
riggofan wrote:I'm just saying when the coach comes out 36 hours before the draft and starts volunteering all of this information about his players, its part of the draft day game whether any of the information is true or not

What did he "volunteer?" He said they all are welcome to come to camp and try for a job. Gaffney can be yours for a glass of lemonade, if not he can come to camp and try to not get cut. Doesn't seem he said anything.

Ok you're right. Good to know we can believe everything Shanahan said this week. I was kind of worried about Jammal Brown up to this point, but sounds like he is 100% and we have no need at right tackle.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:46 am

1niksder wrote:Shanny doesn't to just bring him back, he says he wants him to start

Hightower is a heck of a back. Helu or Royster would be lucky to ever be as good as he is now. Those saying they are already there are just tripping.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:52 pm

riggofan wrote:Ok you're right. Good to know we can believe everything Shanahan said this week. I was kind of worried about Jammal Brown up to this point, but sounds like he is 100% and we have no need at right tackle.

There most definitely a need for a PLAN at RT. There isn't particulary a DIRE NEED to find his immediate replacement. Mike could very well be pleased with Browns progress AND still draft a RT. I guess what we're saying is that we don't see how his comments mean anything but face value.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:06 pm

riggofan wrote:“Right now I feel better about Jammal Brown than I have at any time since I’ve been here,” he said. “That hip that he’s had that tear on looks better than it’s ever looked.”

Not a very high bar to get over.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
riggofan wrote:Ok you're right. Good to know we can believe everything Shanahan said this week. I was kind of worried about Jammal Brown up to this point, but sounds like he is 100% and we have no need at right tackle.

There most definitely a need for a PLAN at RT. There isn't particulary a DIRE NEED to find his immediate replacement. Mike could very well be pleased with Browns progress AND still draft a RT.

OK, but what if Mike is actually NOT pleased with Brown's progress? Don't you think it is TO HIS BENEFIT to mislead other teams in the draft if he would like to draft a new RT?

I'm just talking about gamesmanship here. If you don't think its especially effective, then fine. I just don't understand why you guys are arguing as if it doesn't go on. Shanahan has a long history of this stuff - I'm sure you guys know the story of when he drafted Cutler. Even last year, he had a lot of the "experts" believing he was going to take Gabbert.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm

riggofan wrote:OK, but what if Mike is actually NOT pleased with Brown's progress? Don't you think it is TO HIS BENEFIT to mislead other teams in the draft if he would like to draft a new RT?

Assuming we draft a RT with our third rounder and assuming they end up as a long term starter, the odds they start this year are still almost zero. Other then rare exceptions only a high first round tackle starts their rookie year unless it's later in the year, probably with an injury. If a third round tackle ends up being a starter in their second or third year that's a great pick. Day one? It's dreaming.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm

haven't you heard Kaz ... all rational thinking is leaving in a few hours

the RG3 era is here and all bets are off

the offensive line and in fact the whole offense will be unstoppable ....

we'll see even more outrageous posts than before .............

if that's possible :lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:08 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
riggofan wrote:OK, but what if Mike is actually NOT pleased with Brown's progress? Don't you think it is TO HIS BENEFIT to mislead other teams in the draft if he would like to draft a new RT?

Assuming we draft a RT with our third rounder and assuming they end up as a long term starter, the odds they start this year are still almost zero. Other then rare exceptions only a high first round tackle starts their rookie year unless it's later in the year, probably with an injury. If a third round tackle ends up being a starter in their second or third year that's a great pick. Day one? It's dreaming.

I'm sure you're completely right about how soon a third round RT might be ready to start. My question is still the same. Is it to Shanahan's benefit to mislead about his intentions in the draft or not? Its a simple freaking question.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:10 pm

SkinsJock wrote:haven't you heard Kaz ... all rational thinking is leaving in a few hours

the RG3 era is here and all bets are off

the offensive line and in fact the whole offense will be unstoppable ....

we'll see even more outrageous posts than before .............

if that's possible :lol:

Excellent comment. I can't find an emoticon for "slow clapping".

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football