Brandon Meriweather Arrested by ACPD

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 pm

riggofan wrote:I totally understand and respect the reaction to this. On the flip side, A LOT of ordinary, otherwise good and intelligent people get busted for DUI as incredibly stupid as it is.

I'll be ok with seeing him lose his drivers license like most people. I don't need to see him lose his job.

Still boggles my mind when this stuff happens with millionaire athletes though. PAY FOR A CAB YOU FREAKING IDIOTS!!!

+1

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:
riggofan wrote:I totally understand and respect the reaction to this. On the flip side, A LOT of ordinary, otherwise good and intelligent people get busted for DUI as incredibly stupid as it is.

I'll be ok with seeing him lose his drivers license like most people. I don't need to see him lose his job.

Still boggles my mind when this stuff happens with millionaire athletes though. PAY FOR A CAB YOU FREAKING IDIOTS!!!

+1

Or just hire a car. They'll drive and follow him around all night waiting for him.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby BearSkins » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

rskin72 wrote:

Additionally, this goes to character of players on this team, and how we are not trying to duplicate the character issues other teams have had....like the Bungles for example, or the Raiders.....or have another Fat Albert type for us. At least, with Davis and Williams, they have some good will saved up with the team, Merriweather has none.

Character is exactly the right thing we should be looking at here. Meriweather has now blighted his copybook off the field AND on it (numerous fines/suspensions for dangerous play). Not saying folks ought to be angels but when you show a lack of self-discipline in both your working and personal life you have to question whether that player can be an asset to the team.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 am

Stallworth's name is often thrown around when NFL player arrests are mentioned, but I think that a lot of people don't really know all of the facts. This article provides a perspective on the type of person that Stallworth is...

Sometimes, early in the morning, just as the sun climbs over the water, Steve Boucher rises to take the drive. He does not know why he does this, except that he has done it more than 30 times since the accident. Soon he is rolling across the causeway toward Miami’s South Beach, past the silhouettes of cruise ships and darkened husks of harbor cranes until, at last, he reaches the point where Donte’ Stallworth’s(notes) car hit a crane operator named Mario Reyes as Reyes dashed across the highway right before dawn more than a year ago.

Then Boucher stares into the gauzy light and tries to understand what it felt like that morning when Reyes died and his friend’s life would never be the same. Yet understanding doesn’t bring comfort.

He sighed into the phone one recent afternoon. Everything that happened on and resulted from the morning of March 14, 2009, is so incongruous with the man he knows: Stallworth, legally drunk with a blood alcohol content level of .12, subsequently was arrested, convicted, sentenced and suspended from football.

Overshadowed, though, is what Stallworth did after it was clear he had accidentally killed a man with his car. He ordered his lawyers to accept a plea deal that convicted him of a felony even when evidence showed he had an excellent chance of being found innocent. He said Reyes’ death was enough of his fault that there shouldn’t be a trial and Reyes’ family shouldn’t have to sit in a courthouse and relive his death all over again.

“He did the right thing,” said Boucher, who has known Stallworth since his rookie year of 2002. “I’m more proud of him as a friend for the way he handled this than I was before this situation happened.”

Perhaps, in this world of athletes who can’t be trusted, it is hard to believe Donte’ Stallworth is getting a second chance at football. An athlete convicted of second-degree felony manslaughter is rarely worthy of our respect. Michael Vick(notes) and Plaxico Burress(notes) spent far longer time in jail than Stallworth’s 24 days – and they never killed another person. But in the aftermath of one bad decision came many good ones. And it is on those which we should judge too.

“He could have taken 15 different approaches,” Boucher said. “He could have had people persuade him to take a more aggressive [defensive] position. He wouldn’t do that. He took responsibility.

“His biggest concern was for the gentleman’s daughter. He wanted [Reyes’] family to know he was remorseful.”

Over and over, members of Stallworth’s elite team of attorneys shouted at him to fight the charges. They said there was no way to prove who was at fault. Reyes, after all, dashed across a busy freeway to catch a bus near a green light that rarely turns red. There was other evidence, never released to the public, Boucher said, that the lawyers wanted to give that would aid Stallworth’s case. Still he said no.

“The irony,” said one of Stallworth’s attorneys, David Cornwell, “is that a lot of the media and public was angry with the deal that he took. And the thing they wanted, for him to go to trial, was the thing he was trying to avoid for the family.”

Stallworth stood this week just off the side of the practice field at the Baltimore Ravens training camp. He signed with the Ravens in February, not long after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had lifted his suspension. It seems a perfect fit: The Ravens (who had yet to acquire Anquan Boldin(notes)) were in desperate need of receivers, and Stallworth needed someone to give him a chance.

He did not want to talk about the accident, having discussed it so many times before. This is a time for football, for a new team, for a rebirth. For a moment, he seemed to gaze at the Maryland hills which roll into the distance.

“Any little decision you make will have a subsequent reaction,” he said softly. “Be cognizant of your decisions.”

He said he says this to everyone he meets now: teammates, friends, children.

“To anybody who will listen,” he said.

Then he added: “With guys being on the stage and the amount of money we get, you tend to trust that certain things will happen to you in life. It’s only human nature to think that way.”

But he is quick to say he never thought of himself as entitled. He never saw himself falling out of control. He simply made a bad decision – one he wishes he could take back, one he knows he can never fully repair.

On that morning he woke up thirsty, a source close to Stallworth said. He looked around his apartment for water. Finding none and seeing it was almost morning, he decided to go for breakfast. Minutes later, his car collided with Reyes.

“Everything has been challenged,” Stallworth said. “My faith has been tested. My character has been tested. I try to think positive for everybody.”

He’s always been a little different than most other football players. When teams needed someone to go to schools and clinics and youth camps, he was the one they called. He always said “yes.”

When he was with the Saints, his first NFL team, and Katrina roared through New Orleans, he was one of the most active players in the rebuilding. Even after the Saints traded him to Philadelphia before their first season back in the Superdome, he kept returning, offering support.

In his year away from football, he read. He loves politics. Cornwell remembers walking into Stallworth’s apartment and spying a biography of John Foster Dulles lying on the coffee table.

“Are you reading this?” Cornwell asked. Stallworth nodded.

But Stallworth’s particular fascination during his time away became 9-11. Almost a decade after the attacks, he is obsessed with the way the world turned and policy changed that day.

“I don’t know how to say this nicely, but everything’s a conspiracy to him,” Boucher said with a laugh.

Stallworth shook his head at the thought. But he admitted he has read most of the Sept. 11 theories out there. He has opinions. He has seen freedoms lost in the name of security and it bothers him. He talks about it with friends. He brings it up to teammates. And often they smile and shake their heads.

“A lot of people don’t always like my opinions on these things,” he said.

Then he smiled.

“I’m not going to believe everything I am told,” he said. “I’m going to find it out for myself.”

Still, a curious mind in a game where players are rewarded for not asking “Why?” is hardly a defense for what happened that morning in Miami – just as the fact Stallworth tucked a few old copies of The Economist in his bag for reading during lulls in camp isn’t enough to win over a public skeptical of athletes who find themselves in trouble.

Conversely, the way he handled the accident and Reyes’ death should say something about character, and perhaps say he is someone worthy of a second chance. That is why Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome was quick to pursue Stallworth after Goodell lifted his one-year ban in February. Baltimore needed a receiver, and Newsome had asked around about Stallworth. Ravens receivers coach Jim Hostler had coached Stallworth in New Orleans and head coach John Harbaugh was a defensive backs coach with the Eagles when Stallworth was with Philadelphia. They enthusiastically supported the pursuit.

Newsome had dealt with similar situations in the past, when Ray Lewis(notes) was charged with manslaughter and running back Jamal Lewis(notes) was arrested for helping set up a drug deal. He knew the team could handle any aftermath of Stallworth’s accident. Then he began interviewing receivers coming out of college. Several said they had worked out in the previous months with Stallworth in Miami, and raved about the advice and help he gave them. Newsome was sold.

“Is he humbled by it?” Newsome asks in reference to the accident. “Yes. Nobody understands what he is going through internally.”

Newsome went to the other Ravens executives and said: “Just spend a half hour with this guy; you will see.”

Stallworth, released a week earlier by the Browns, was signed on Feb. 17. Stallworth, the team’s No. 3 receiver behind Derrick Mason(notes) and Boldin, has sparkled in camp. The other day, he reached behind cornerback Fabian Washington(notes) to tip a pass into the air and then catch it, all while running full speed – a play that left the coaching staff stunned.

Yet football offers only a temporary escape. There are reminders everywhere, even in simple things such as asking teammates for rides since he is not allowed to drive – a fact he does not disclose as a complaint but simply a reality of what happened that morning in 2009.

“What he’s going to get out of this, he is going to be able to teach a lot of people,” Boucher said. “They are going to be able to say: ‘I’m going to make a better decision than Donte’ did that day.’ ”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-stallworthsecondchance081210
Suck and Luck

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks for posting that.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 am

Makes you think, doesn't it?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks for that Canes
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:Stallworth's name is often thrown around when NFL player arrests are mentioned, but I think that a lot of people don't really know all of the facts. This article provides a perspective on the type of person that Stallworth is...

I appreciate you for posting this. Stories like this rarely get posted, and I try to do it when I come across it. Fans here and everywhere else sicken me sometimes with how 'High and Mighty' they get... These guys make mistakes just like any of us could, will and do.

Stallworth is a good dude, who made a bad decision. No different than anyone else.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
CanesSkins26 wrote:Stallworth's name is often thrown around when NFL player arrests are mentioned, but I think that a lot of people don't really know all of the facts. This article provides a perspective on the type of person that Stallworth is...

I appreciate you for posting this. Stories like this rarely get posted, and I try to do it when I come across it. Fans here and everywhere else sicken me sometimes with how 'High and Mighty' they get... These guys make mistakes just like any of us could, will and do.

Stallworth is a good dude, who made a bad decision. No different than anyone else.

Well, different than Leonard Little, who's a bad dude, who makes awful decisions.

(I know that wasn't your point, but that guy just sickens me.)
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:45 am

The Stallworth issue kind of sticks in my craw for a couple of reasons I alluded to earlier, that really has nothing to do with this thread topic.....it more centers around punishment metted out to Sallworth vice Vick and Burress....both by the civil community as well as the NFL.

WRT Meriweather, I have read nothing further about this incident from him.....maybe on advice of either lawyers, or team officials. Maybe he will fight this in court, and it will be dismissed. Maybe not. That process will have to play out.

The issue for me has always revolved around character....we want a team with character, vice filled with characters. Obviously the final decision is up to the coaching staff WRT what to do if Meriweather is convicted.....but incidents like this do not tend to support a conclusion that Meriweather has either good judgement, or high character quality.....and this has to be a concern to the coaching staff who just brought him onboard.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Good post Canes! People like to think these guys aren't human for some reaso.. while they are in the spotlight, and looked up to, mistakes happen to everyone.
As for this DWI, what was his bac? Was it a weekend night? Near down town? Was it the.morning after w little sleep? Was he headed home from a BBQ?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 am

As a kid, I loved Dexter Manly. As an adult looking back, I'm embarrassed for him. He was not a character player at all, but strengthened the "National Defense".

Some bad nuts can be tolerated, others cannot. Good coaches can discern between the two and know when to cut the cord.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

From Meriweather a big Redskins question mark By Dan Graziano

Why do I bring all of this up? Well, the news today on Meriweather is that his DUI case has been resolved. According to ESPN 980 in Washington, he was found guilty and got a 180-day suspended jail sentence and a $300 fine. Probably lost his license for a few months, too, which means he'll need rides to and from training camp. But that's not really the point here, is it?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:43 pm

What about Godahell?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Deadskins wrote:What about Godahell?

No word yet
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football