Redskins draft picks.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:49 pm

A running back???
Suck and Luck

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:51 pm

Wes Bunting, National Football Post on Alfred Morris, RB

He possesses a decent sized frame, though he isn't overly girthy through the lower half, but he runs low, keeps his pad level down and, despite his lacking straight-line speed, presses the hole with average initial burst. He's an instinctive running back with a natural feel between the tackles who displays good balance and footwork inside, exhibiting the shiftiness and fluidity to pick his way through traffic laterally, make defenders miss in tight areas and create on his own. Morris plays faster in tighter areas, is more quick than fast and can generate a burst out of his breaks. He reaches top end speed quickly but doesn't have the ability to really accelerate away from anyone into the second level. He looks like a 4.65-plus guy who has a tough time even running away from linebackers toward the edge. He lacks any kind of a second gear and, once he gets past his first step, he stops pressing the hole or picking his way through traffic, is a very uninspiring athlete.

He runs with a low pad level, exhibits quick feet and breaks a lot of tackles in the Sun Belt conference. He also does a great job finishing runs at the second level, lowering his pad level into contact and pumping his legs through the play. However, he struggles to make anyone miss at the second level against better competition and he isn't dynamic enough laterally to gain a step and outpace an angle. He doesn't break nearly as many tackles vs. BCS caliber defenders and goes down much easier on contact. Morris will catch the football out of the backfield, snap his head around quickly and initially create, but he isn't any kind of a big play threat. He looks natural running from both the gun and I-formation sets, but his lack of initial burst shows up far more in the gun.

Impression: Morris simply lacks the type of physical attributes needed in order to warrant much attention at the next level. Looks like a limited free agent at best.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:52 pm

another tiny rb drafted. draft grade from round 3 on so far: D

skins still have a subpar defensive line with an undersized, out of position NT, and mediocre defensive ends and a Flat out bad secondary. good luck with deangelo hall again.


Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Sounds like another ZBS back in the mode of Royster.

I am scratching my head on this one. Seems like a 7th rounder at best. Can someone spin this one to help us see Morris as a good pick?

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:57 pm

the poster wrote:another tiny rb drafted. draft grade from round 3 on so far: D

skins still have a subpar defensive line with an undersized, out of position NT, and mediocre defensive ends and a Flat out bad secondary. good luck with deangelo hall again.

What are you stupid?

We got the best new defensive lineman that will hit the field this season...

And we got him in the second round
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:58 pm
Location: Somewhere in Central Asia

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd rather keep Hightower, but this is a pick where I feel like the pending cap issue is influencing the decision.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:00 pm

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:I'd rather keep Hightower, but this is a pick where I feel like the pending cap issue is influencing the decision.


The pick AZ just used to take Justin Bethel was the one they got (with Vonnie Holliday) from the Redskins for Tim Hightower
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:02 pm

1 more pick in 6th Round, 2 more in 7th Round, then all those UDFAs
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9013
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:09 pm

You best believe that we will load up on UDFA's. Based on the playing time they received last year, that'll be a selling point to a lot of these guys.

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:10 pm

frankcal20 wrote:You best believe that we will load up on UDFA's. Based on the playing time they received last year, that'll be a selling point to a lot of these guys.

+1
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 pm

FanofallthatisGibbs wrote:I'd rather keep Hightower, but this is a pick where I feel like the pending cap issue is influencing the decision.


Morris is on the practice squad all over him. Hightower, a solid blitz pick up guy? Most likely he will be signed.

Hog
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:Kirk Cousins at this point when we have so many needs at other positions???
What gives???

This is not right no matter what spin anybody puts in it.

Crazy


I think OTA's and and mini camps just got more exciting - RGIII is safe. Kirk Cousins is safe, but I don't think Rex is safe and I don't think that Beck is the odd man out. Rex has proven that he won't change, but Beck has only been given limited time to improve.

We all watched T.J. Yates play welll enough as a rookie in this offense to get the Texans to the play-offs, why can't Cousins do the same if need be (and hopefully it won't need be).

Day 1 QB depth = RGIII, Beck and Cousins.

How about that spin, RiC?


Better think again, Beck has been released.

And that's the wise move. Beck was miserable ... awful really ... he had the express lane to start, got beat out by Rex ... Rex pulls a Rex and get's himself pulled ... Beck comes in and makes Rex look good, and get's the hook. Bye-Bye.

Cousins is a solid pick for a developmental guy, and might end up being trade bait to get one of those #1 picks back that we traded to the Rams over the next couple of years.

The kid was a good value pick at that spot ... and who knows ... God forbid ... if RG3 gets tweaked .... he might be needed at some point.

Good pick for depth at the most critical position on the field.

^^^^^^^
Posts: 9013
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:52 pm

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:18 pm

Beck has more fumbles than TD's. He has small hands and is prone to sacks (holds on to the ball too long). Over thinks the play trying to be perfect b/c he feels that his chance to gain the position will be limited. He's correct b/c he blows every opportunity he received.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:22 pm

RayNAustin wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:Kirk Cousins at this point when we have so many needs at other positions???
What gives???

This is not right no matter what spin anybody puts in it.

Crazy


I think OTA's and and mini camps just got more exciting - RGIII is safe. Kirk Cousins is safe, but I don't think Rex is safe and I don't think that Beck is the odd man out. Rex has proven that he won't change, but Beck has only been given limited time to improve.

We all watched T.J. Yates play welll enough as a rookie in this offense to get the Texans to the play-offs, why can't Cousins do the same if need be (and hopefully it won't need be).

Day 1 QB depth = RGIII, Beck and Cousins.

How about that spin, RiC?


Better think again, Beck has been released.

And that's the wise move. Beck was miserable ... awful really ... he had the express lane to start, got beat out by Rex ... Rex pulls a Rex and get's himself pulled ... Beck comes in and makes Rex look good, and get's the hook. Bye-Bye.

Cousins is a solid pick for a developmental guy, and might end up being trade bait to get one of those #1 picks back that we traded to the Rams over the next couple of years.

The kid was a good value pick at that spot ... and who knows ... God forbid ... if RG3 gets tweaked .... he might be needed at some point.

Good pick for depth at the most critical position on the field.


Thanks - I had a crow sandwich for lunch. Good thing I didn't stake my reputation on it. :wink:

I agree that he was a good pick with a 4th rounder.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football