Redskins draft picks.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Tom Compton OT - S. Dakota....here's our RT

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:48 pm

RayNAustin wrote:That's probably because they had 52 other spots to fill.

So you win Super Bowls not by having talent but by having a body at every position? That's demonstration of your football knowledge? We already have bodies at every position BTW.

You had a quarterback in McCoy, why did you waste a pick on Weeden when you already had bodies who played quarterback if that's all you need?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Tom Compton 6' 6" 310

Wes Bunting:

Looks the part of an NFL offensive lineman. Is a tall kid with some natural girth through his base, solid length and an athletic looking frame. Displays average flexibility when asked to sit into his stance. Looks a bit tight when trying to play from a three point stance as he will struggle to keep his base under him, but he can sit in a two point stance and initially take a quick first 6-inch step and keeping his base down. However, he looks a bit tight hipped and too often extends his arms out in front of him, almost locking his elbows prematurely into contact. Therefore, he doesn't generate any power on his punch and his hand placement is routinely a bit too long causing him to struggle to anchor. He showcases average athleticism off the edge, but his footwork gets really shabby when trying to reach speed. He will knock his heels together when trying to get to the corner and doesn't take a positive initial step with his left foot toward the edge, as he will get caught almost taking his first real step off his right foot. Therefore, his balance is often an issue and even when he's set, he lacks ideal lateral quickness to mirror. Seems a bit tight in the hips and laterally has a tough time sliding his feet, staying low and quickly re-directing. Too often he is forced to lunge into contact because he lacks the quickness.

Showcases average anchor strength on contact and can really generate a snap off the ball as an in-line guy. Uses his first step quickness to get off the football well and get around blocks, but will pop upright and despite trying to finish blocks has a tough time staying engaged through contact.

Impression: Possesses an NFL caliber frame and some bend and athleticism, but looks tighter hipped. Has a long way to go with his technique, but the snap he generates off the ball in the run game is intriguing as a potential right tackle.

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I like his size and usually these upper Midwest linemen are pretty good. Particularly, the Dakotas and Montana are THE universities for their state. In other words, he probably could have started at a number of "big name" schools but decided to stay close to home. Happens a lot in college football.

Considering his weakness is that he is an unknown and that he didn't play against top competition (I don't buy that crap when evaluating talent), i consider this a great value pick.

NFL.com says he could be selected as high as 4th round. Good work Bruce & Shanny!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Love the last sentence. Sounds like he's going to come in and most likely be our backup RT.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:56 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Love the last sentence. Sounds like he's going to come in and most likely be our backup RT.

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. He's a late 6th rounder.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby the poster » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 pm

if all goes to plan for Washington, cousins never sees the field. and if that's the case, he goes to fa four years from now, the redskins get nothing and they just spent a (high) 4th round pick on a clipboard holder for a couple of years.

if things don't go to plan and rg3 gets hurt then grossman is the guy likely to play this year anyways. and how do u have time, how do u get all the qbs the reps they need in practice for cousins? answer: you can't.

how do you prepare two rookie qbs at the same time when obviously the majority of your time needs to be spent with one? do I think the shanhans can do that? no, I don't. look at their qb decisions the last couple of seasons. they don't know what they're doing. look at their record.

if rg3 gets hurt where cousins has to play an extensive amt of time next year or in year 3 (remember, year 4 he is a free agent and leaves like Matt Flynn did this year) then what does that say about spending 4 draft picks on a guy who u obviously have injury concerns for .

how does rg3 already feel about all of this? I don't care what he has to say publicly...

your team failed u once again, enjoy last place once again...D or F draft

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah, well a lot of the hogs in the 80s were late round picks or even undrafted. He is certainly a project, but could be a nice surprise and will add depth where we need it.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Love the last sentence. Sounds like he's going to come in and most likely be our backup RT.

I think you're jumping the gun a little bit. He's a late 6th rounder.

+1

Let's see what Brown has left
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:59 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:It's not going to be a problem. Both guys are going to learn the offense and then if RG3 get's hurt, we'll have a young, athletic, smart QB on the field.

I totally agree Frank. I don't get the people who think that NFL quarterbacks have to be wusses like Ron Jawarski and Jay Cutler who don't believe quarterbacks should have to compete to be starters. The NFL is the most elite competition and you are fighting for your job every day no matter who you are or what position you play. The idea that competition is destructive is just idiotic.

RG3 won't be the least bit offended, and Cousins won't be the least bit confused about where each stands. It's a good spot for Cousins (even if he had aspirations for being drafted by a team that he might have a shot to compete for a starter role, that was highly unlikely after falling to the 4th round anyway). In the long run, he'll have a chance to acclimate to the NFL with no pressure as the #3, with his goal to work himself into the #2 spot next year on a good team.

A guy like Cousins best interests long term is not to be thrown to the NFL wolves right out of the blocks ... that scenario has ruined countless players with potential .. only the superior QB prospects can go in right away with high expectations.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:00 pm

That doesn't matter. We started an UDFA last year at LT. They just said on ESPN that he really just needs to get stronger but has great explosion and the NFL size and ability. Will need a year or two to get used to NFL level competition but could be VERY good player down the line.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Reminder. Responses... even to trolls... are expected to comply with posting rules for the public forums.
Now, responding to trolls is generally a useless exercise that does nothing except encourage further troll posts... but, whatever floats your boat... keep it limited to attacking the post, not the poster, and do not use profanity or clever lettering intended to beat the filter... got it?

Sheesh... ](*,)
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:04 pm

From an impartial fan of the NFC North (ESPN's NFC East Blog):

emmettvm
dropping in from the NFC North to note that, aside from the whole "2 quarterbacks" thing (which may or may not end up turning out well, who really knows at this point) the redskins seem to be hitting this draft out of the friggin park.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I always look at the draft and say to myself that I don't know if we did good or bad. Last year I wasn't sure but we did a very good job of using the players we picked. Can't complain so far.

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:20 pm

We just drafted a franchise QB 3 days ago....and you guys are here talking about a QB that was drafted in the 4th round....seriously? You guys are already talking about injury to griffin....what kind of retarded thinking is that.....i guess maybe we have sucked like forever and you guys have the mindset of low expectations with the way u are talking

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football