Redskins draft picks.

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
kazoo
Posts: 10219
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 am

RayNAustin wrote:The Browns must have feared that someone else was looking to trade up to that spot


In the earlier discussion others of us came to the same conclusion. Frank said he'd heard it was the Jets. But yeah, the Vikings weren't going to take him with Peterson at RB and their need on the line, it had to be the Jets or someone they were afraid of.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:29 am

Deadskins wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Given actually analyzing trades rather then just making a sweeping fly by statement, what actual trade makes you think we overpaid?

I agree that we didn't overpay. But I think the Rams could have gotten better value from Dallas for the #6 pick than just a 2nd rounder. The Pies moved up 8 spots for only a #2. Compared to our trade and the Browns trade, it seems like they got a bargain.


It cannot be measured in that manner ..... from 14 to 6 may be 8 spots ... but it's not about how many spots ... it's about "Who" will be there to take at the spot you are targeting and how many teams want that player.

The assessment was that there were basically 6 blue chip players available, which effectively makes the first 6 picks the most valuable. After that, the progression from 14 up to 7 is of less relative value, with the most impact being from 7 to 6. So if the Rams got the guy they wanted at 14, then they made out fine getting an extra #2 .... presumably, they assessed how those picks from 7 thru 13 would play out, leaving them with the guy they wanted. (We'll probably never know if they had someone else in the sights and missed him by 1 or 2 spots, as they'd likely never own up to that).

The real head scratcher was Cleveland giving up 3 picks to move 1 spot from 4 to 3 in order to take Richardson, when the Vikes surely would have not picked him. The Browns must have feared that someone else was looking to trade up to that spot, but I think it was simply some crafty wheeling and dealing on the Vikes part. They made out like bandits on that deal ... they got the guy they were planning on taking all along, plus 3 picks! (the Browns may have been overreacting out of fear after losing RG3 to the Redskins, so their next target, Richardson was one they just refused to let slip away, so they overpaid as insurance).

Turns out the Pies were also willing to part with a #4 for the 6th pick, but the Rams just didn't haggle, and took the first offer. I doubt Dallas would have just hung up if the Rams had said "hmmm... is a second rounder really your best offer?"


I heard the Rams did but Jerruh didn't hang up he said "I thought we had a deal"....

Deadskins wrote:As for Cleveland, I agree. They must have been worried that another team really coveted Richardson, otherwise there's no reason to make that deal. I just didn't see it, but maybe they knew something, or had heard rumors.


Tampa Bay would have moved up to get him, once the Vikings went up to #3 the Bucs looked for trade down partners.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15915
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:30 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:The Browns must have feared that someone else was looking to trade up to that spot


In the earlier discussion others of us came to the same conclusion. Frank said he'd heard it was the Jets. But yeah, the Vikings weren't going to take him with Peterson at RB and their need on the line, it had to be the Jets or someone they were afraid of.

Another team just trading up to that spot isn't really the issue, it's trading up to that spot to take Richardson. That's the question.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10219
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:31 am

Deadskins wrote:Turns out the Pies were also willing to part with a #4 for the 6th pick, but the Rams just didn't haggle, and took the first offer


You're stating something Nik said he heard as fact, you don't know that and you don't know how it transpired. Even if it's true they could have been running up against the clock.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo
Posts: 10219
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
RayNAustin wrote:The Browns must have feared that someone else was looking to trade up to that spot


In the earlier discussion others of us came to the same conclusion. Frank said he'd heard it was the Jets. But yeah, the Vikings weren't going to take him with Peterson at RB and their need on the line, it had to be the Jets or someone they were afraid of.

Another team just trading up to that spot isn't really the issue, it's trading up to that spot to take Richardson. That's the question.


No duh. You didn't contradict me or add any new or unknown information to the discussion with that comment.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:32 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Turns out the Pies were also willing to part with a #4 for the 6th pick, but the Rams just didn't haggle, and took the first offer


You're stating something Nik said he heard as fact, you don't know that and you don't know how it transpired. Even if it's true they could have been running up against the clock.


They were
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15915
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 am

1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:As for Cleveland, I agree. They must have been worried that another team really coveted Richardson, otherwise there's no reason to make that deal. I just didn't see it, but maybe they knew something, or had heard rumors.


Tampa Bay would have moved up to get him, once the Vikings went up to #3 the Bucs looked for trade down partners.

I thought Tampa was going after defense. I never heard they were looking for a RB.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

kazoo
Posts: 10219
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:37 am

1niksder wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Turns out the Pies were also willing to part with a #4 for the 6th pick, but the Rams just didn't haggle, and took the first offer


You're stating something Nik said he heard as fact, you don't know that and you don't know how it transpired. Even if it's true they could have been running up against the clock.


They were


If the clock ran out no way Claiborne would have gotten past the Bucs and then both the Rams and the Cowboys would have lost out
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:44 am

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:As for Cleveland, I agree. They must have been worried that another team really coveted Richardson, otherwise there's no reason to make that deal. I just didn't see it, but maybe they knew something, or had heard rumors.


Tampa Bay would have moved up to get him, once the Vikings went up to #3 the Bucs looked for trade down partners.

I thought Tampa was going after defense. I never heard they were looking for a RB.


They went with Barron at #7 But wanted Richardson, in the end they settled for Doug Martin at #31
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog
Posts: 2355
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Given actually analyzing trades rather then just making a sweeping fly by statement, what actual trade makes you think we overpaid?

I agree that we didn't overpay. But I think the Rams could have gotten better value from Dallas for the #6 pick than just a 2nd rounder.


Obviously they couldn't since their phone wasn't ringing.

Deadskins wrote:The Pies moved up 8 spots for only a #2. Compared to our trade and the Browns trade, it seems like they got a bargain.


I personally don't think the Cowboys paid enough. I doubt any Redskin fan would. But you're making the same mistake Frank did. Trading is like dancing, you need a partner. The Rams want more picks. You can't make a trade unless the girl says yes, and she's weighing you against her other options. Counting slots and saying what you paid to move up compared to other trades is irrelevant. We were trading for R33, not the #2 pick. Cleveland wanted Richardson, not the #3 pick. The Rams didn't want Claiborne (or anyone else available at that time) as much as adding a #2 pick. Now if we were trading picks today for the 2013 draft you could look at it that way. For the 2012 draft you have to analyze it trade by trade.

According to 1niksder, Dallas was also ready to cough up a #4. It seems the Rams just took the first offer without trying to haggle at all. :roll:


Not according to this:

Demoff had laid the groundwork for such a discussion six hours earlier, dialing Jones and telling him, "If you want to trade up to 6, consider us. We'll be reasonable. We already got such a great deal from the Redskins [in the Griffin trade] that we won't try to screw you guys."

Now, with the Rams on the clock, Jones told Demoff he'd make the deal for Dallas' first- and second-round selections: 14th and 45th overall. The Rams' COO hung up and briefly discussed the trade with Fisher and Snead, reviewing a value chart assigning points to specific picks. Then he called Jones back and said, "Stephen, it's Kevin. Would you throw in your five? … Come on. … What will you throw in as a cherry on top?"

Um … nothing.

Demoff laughed. "Alright," he said, "we'll call you right back."



From: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rams- ... ml#more-id

the 'mudge
Posts: 14362
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Title of thread: "Redskins draft picks"...


just sayin...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15915
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Countertrey wrote:Title of thread: "Redskins draft picks"...


just sayin...

How about that Robert Griffin III? :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14362
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Title of thread: "Redskins draft picks"...


just sayin...

How about that Robert Griffin III? :lol:
:hail:

He's cool... what else can we talk about? How'd we do in the second round?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:21 am

Postby the poster » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:57 pm

the best grades of the draft so far and who I would give an A+ to would be:

1. Eagles
2. Cowboys

CKRGiii
Posts: 4280
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:14 pm

Dumb post.
Next
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football