Why Would You Draft Another QB ?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am

GoSkins wrote:Drafting Cousins should concern Grossman not Griffin III. If I were a betting man Cousins will replace Grossman in 2013.


I think you're dead on. Grossman should be whimpering, not Griffin.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
GoSkins wrote:Drafting Cousins should concern Grossman not Griffin III. If I were a betting man Cousins will replace Grossman in 2013.


I think you're dead on. Grossman should be whimpering, not Griffin.


+20(Rex Grossman INTs last year)

To this point, I also believe I heard ESPN's talking heads blasting the rationalization of the Cousins pick for a good back up in 2 years by agreeing that that role was for Grossman. To be clear, they (including the guy who gave the skins a C+ insta-draft grade) didn't like the Cousins pick because 2 years from now they thought RGIII's back up should still be Rex Grossman.

Let that sink in.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13506
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am

Drafting Cousins makes sense - RG3 will be great but ...

I'd rather have a back-up QB that's better than Grossman

AND

sooner rather than later :wink:


Mike & Kyle will have a supporting cast and scheme that will make the transition to the NFL relatively easy for RG3 AND Cousins
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:14 am

funsho2 wrote:This is why we are not a good run franchise while Snider owns the team!
We spend (3) 1st’s and (1) 2nd on a QB, just to get another QB 2 of your teams picks later? There are more pressing needs than a 2nd QB. Beck and Grossman are capable backups. It just makes no sense. Instead of drafting a player that can eventually start or actually be good enough to start. We needed WR help, a Center, a RT, maybe even an ILB, or maybe even a Safety. Yet, we wasted our relatively early pick on a player that we don’t expect to EVER see the field. How are you supposed to “flip” this player in 3-4 years? Showing what he has during preseason games? Please…..Talk about Heath Shuler Gus Frerotte part 2


In what world are Beck and Grossman capable backups? I agreed with bringing Grossman back this year because he knew the system and none of the other back up QB were drastically better. But lets be real, we need to get out of the Rex business ASAP!

Drafting Cousins allows us to get out of the Rex business next year. That alone is worth a fourth round pick!

You say we needed WRs. Really? How many back up WR can one team have. Heck they are already considering releasing Gaffney (and Moss should be nervous too) do you really think there was a WR available when we drafted Cousins that is better than either of those two?

We drafted two guys that can play C as well as guard. How many back up C do you need on a team? OT was very week this year, yet we still drafted one! We also drafted an ILB and a guy that played Safety.

I still don't get why you think we don't expect to ever see Cousins on the field. Here is a fact, most NFL QBs don't play a full season and running QBs have a higher chance of getting hurt. Isn't it smart to have a capable backup at the most important possition on the team just in case your starting QB doesn't beet the odds and play all 16 games for the next four years. I'm just flabbergasted how many idiots struggle to get that!
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:20 am

funsho2 wrote:This is why we are not a good run franchise while Snider owns the team!


This are not a good wrote sentence.

funsho2 wrote:We needed WR help

Free agency and UDFA's.

funsho2 wrote: a Center, a RT

Drafted.

funsho2 wrote:maybe even an ILB

Drafted.

funsho2 wrote:or maybe even a Safety

Drafted.


You can't get much more wrong than this...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Fire in the Sky
Posts: 4730
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:31 am
Location: Surfside

Postby SkinsFreak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:56 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I'll summarize it.


"We, the media have an issue with this selection. Our issue is based purely off of assumption and conjecture, it is not rooted in any facts. We're purely speculating what we think MIGHT happen and are creating the story that we assume will happen, before it happens. We know that people with below average comprehension skills will fall for the banana in the tail pipe."


:lol: Nice . . . and spot on :lol:



Here's the voice of reason . . .


NFL.com wrote:Criticism of Redskins' Kirk Cousins pick misplaced
By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
Around The League editor

Three days of non-stop draft coverage has caused the football world to collectively lose its mind. That's the only explanation for all the criticism the Redskins have taken for drafting Kirk Cousins with the No. 102 pick of the draft round.

To hear most analysts tell it, fourth-round picks are absolute gold that should never be used on backups. Forget for a moment that the fourth round is intended for backup players and there is no more valuable backup position than quarterback. Forget that most people couldn't name five fourth-round picks and that most of the round's picks won't make a big impact.

How dare the Redskins create a quarterback controversy. Won't this be damaging to Robert Griffin III's ego? How could he handle the added pressure of . . . Kirk Cousins on the roster?

Cousins fell out of the top 100 picks for a reason. He's a backup. The Redskins reportedly had him rated as their third quarterback in the draft, so they took him for value. Maybe they will be able to trade him someday and maybe they won't. But to insinuate Cousins could somehow make Griffin's life more difficult is moronic.

Griffin is the franchise. He will feel pressure from all angles and create a career on his own merits. If Cousins ever challenges him, the Redskins have serious problems. If the media creates a controversy, that's on the media. The Redskins can't make decisions based on silly speculation.

Rex Grossman is in place as Griffin's backup this year, and Cousins can take over the role in 2013. Washington is planning ahead, which is what you hope to do in the fourth round. The team was criticized because they made a "luxury" selection when they had so few picks this year. But any linebacker, cornerback, or offensive linemen taken that late was going to be a reserve. A "luxury."

The Redskins believe Cousins can be a good backup. That's not a luxury in today's NFL; it's a requirement.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -misplaced

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:56 am

I see nothing but good from this. 2 young QB's on our roster that both can be groomed at the same time...this is great! We need a quality backup for RGIII (Grossman is NOT a quality backup), so what's wrong with getting Cousins ready for that role? Not to mention he could be potential trade fodder down the line sometime.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4848
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:11 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:I am still don't get why you think we don't expect to ever see Cousins on the field. Here is a fact, most NFL QBs don't play a full season and running QBs have a higher chance of getting hurt. Isn't it smart to have a capable backup at the most important possition on the team just in case your starting QB doesn't beet the odds and play all 16 games for the next four years. I'm just flabbergasted how many idiots struggle to get that!


+1. Same people who complain relentlessly about Grossman, too.

Personally I'm not putting much stock in the "draft Cousins as trade bait" theory. Seems like such a long range game and a complete long shot. I think they just saw an opportunity to possibly upgrade their backup QB position. I bet its a less expensive option - salary cap wise, too.

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 pm

riggofan wrote:Personally I'm not putting much stock in the "draft Cousins as trade bait" theory. Seems like such a long range game and a complete long shot. I think they just saw an opportunity to possibly upgrade their backup QB position


Exactly. There are so many ways to acquire players no way do we use a #4 hoping that they turn years down the line into a higher pick. It's frankly silly. We picked him because we didn't expect a guy already considered to be starter potential to be there when he was, which already puts us way ahead of taking a 7th round flier.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com wrote:But to insinuate Cousins could somehow make Griffin's life more difficult is moronic.


It's what? Say that again, Gregg...
Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com wrote:moronic



This fake controversy is what?
Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com wrote:moronic


Forgetting that RGIII is projected to be top tier talent is what Gregg?
Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com wrote:moronic



Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com wrote:The Redskins believe Cousins can be a good backup. That's not a luxury in today's NFL; it's a requirement.


C'mon Gregg. Don't do this, don't bring common sense to this discussion because the same people critizing the pick, would crucify (shoutout to Al Armendariz lolol) the Redskins if they didn't have a viable backup when needed. You can't please these people.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:26 pm

This was a good pick. Surprising, but totally makes sense.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 pm

The Hogster wrote:This was a good pick. Surprising, but totally makes sense.


It's how you draft well, you have a list of the players you want and the positions you need, but you react to who's available. Do you want quality at a position not your greatest need or a mediocrity at a position you need...leaving it a position of need? It shows why Shannahan had such an excellent draft last year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 pm

All the "this creates qb controversy" blah blah blah negative for rgiii blah blah blah ima moron crap is seriously not thought out at all.
Aside from the very valid and thought out retorts I must add one more reason why this was a fantastic move and a golden pick to HELP rgiii become BETTER.
Before you poop your pants it has nothing to do with competition in camp or anything like that lol simmer down...
Who prefers going to the gym alone? While I know its not unheard of, having a buddy there to spot you and shoot the breeze makes it less "work" and more fun. Also having a buddy to tell you one more give it all you got, aswell as trying to match each others progress, helps you break through to the next level.
Am I solely talking about the gym? Nope. Rex or any other player can do that. BUT what rgiii and his rookie third string have in common that no one else on the team does: they are both learning a new playbook at the qb position. Wow what a crazy notion... Rgiii immediately has a study partner! The "learning curve" just got easier for our Franchise QB.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
funsho2 wrote:This is why we are not a good run franchise while Snider owns the team!


This are not a good wrote sentence.

funsho2 wrote:We needed WR help

Free agency and UDFA's.

funsho2 wrote: a Center, a RT

Drafted.

funsho2 wrote:maybe even an ILB

Drafted.

funsho2 wrote:or maybe even a Safety

Drafted.


You can't get much more wrong than this...


BOM!
ROASTED!!!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 2092
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:13 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
The Hogster wrote:This was a good pick. Surprising, but totally makes sense.


It's how you draft well, you have a list of the players you want and the positions you need, but you react to who's available. Do you want quality at a position not your greatest need or a mediocrity at a position you need...leaving it a position of need? It shows why Shannahan had such an excellent draft last year.


I know we have to wait a few years to REALLY know about a draft, but last year and this year are making me incredibly happy and comfortable with this FO. What surprises me the most about the naysayers of the cousins pick is that this kind of planning and logic being applied to the draft WAS THE SAME DAMN THING WE GOT CRUCIFIED FOR NOT DOING UNDER VINNY!!

So is it just "the redskins blew the draft no matter what"?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football